How did you choose your furry masters?

Old October 16th 04, 05:22 PM
Howard Berkowitz

In article , Kajikit
wrote:

Or did they choose you? Stories please!

(no I'm not just a voyeur... in three weeks we'll be getting our own
kitties and I'm getting nervous - I've never ever had a cat of my own
in my entire life! What if they decide they don't like me?)

Chatterley (RB) literally showed up on a roof of a wing of the house,
adjoining a bathroom. I became aware of being watched while on the
porcelain throne. She accepted being taken in.

My ex and I were not yet married at the time, but she declared that when
we got married, Chatterley should as well. A co-worker, who lived on a
farm, had a litter of kittens, and she chose Clifford (RB) as
Chatterley's arranged mate. Wonderful cat, but the two never got along.

My current three were adopted at the same time from a rescue group.
Their practice is to open cages and put a cat of interest into your arms
as a first look. When they opened Rhonda's cage, however, while her
sister ignored me, she rushed through the door, into my arms, and began
vigorously licking my nose.

Ding was the one among his litter mates who took the most interest in
me. With him, it was less an immediate bonding thing, and he's always
been the most skittish. He was born of a feral mother and socialized
once he was weaned, so he might not have been as tolerant of humans.

Mr. Clark looked up at me, very calmly. When I held him, he simply
shifted to a better cuddling position, purred, and looked wise. He was
the adult of the three, and has always been the most open to new
situations.

Old October 16th 04, 05:27 PM
CatNipped

--

Karen AKA Kajikit

Here kitty kitty kitty... visit http://www.catslaves.org!

Come and visit my part of the web:
Kajikit's Corner: http://www.kajikitscorner.com
Allergyfree Eating Recipe Swap:

Bandit, when she was 6 weeks old, ran in my front door one day as I was
going outside to put out food for all the strays in my neighborhood. I
picked her up to bring her outside to the food dish, but as soon as I put
her down she ran back inside, sat in the middle of the living room floor and
said, "You, this house, and everything in it now belongs to me and you will
be my faithful slave for the rest of my life!" Well, we were, it was, and
we always have been. She's

When she was 5 weeks old Demi rode to my DH's work in the engine compartment
of a coworker's pickup truck. DH saw her drop down from there and run into
the nearest bushes. He caught her, put her in a box, brought her home that
evening and she's been hiding from that scary truck ever since. She's been
with us for 6 years now.

Jessie was originally owned my son (with her sister Taffy who still owns my
son), but he was young and broke and really couldn't afford to take care of
them both, so she found wealthier slaves when she was about 6 months old.
She's been with us for 5 years now.

When we were at our cabin on Lake Conroe we saw a feral mother cat with
kittens. I caught one little orange stripey one, but he was too young to be
separated from his mom. After I put him back the mom moved them and we
didn't see them again before we left for home. This gave me a serious case
of kitten fever, so after we got home we went to the rescue group at the
local PetsMart to find a kitten. As I was walking past one of the cages a
gorgeous silver tipped Persian reached out to snag my hand with one of his
paws when he then drew close to the cage and started licking - 'nuff said.
Percy (RB) was *NOT* at kitten, he was well over 10 years old. However, he
was a breeder's stud who had been kept caged his entire life. When we first
brought him home he could barely walk. With patience and love we finally
got him to where he could run around batting his jingle balls with the best
of them. However, the life he lead had taken its toll on him and he only
lived with us for about 9 months before succumbing to kidney failure.

We had no intention of getting another cat after that. In fact, when a
kitten was turned in at the front of WalMart (having almost been run over by
the person who turned him in) just as we were leaving the store, the most we
were willing to do was bring him to the above-mentioned rescue group and pay
for him to be spayed and vaccinated and then adopted out (having a male in
the house, Percy (RB), had turned out to have caused *LOTS* of tension).
While we were there a woman and her daughter came in with 6 week old kittens
and said that a stray cat had birthed kittens in their closet and they
couldn't keep them. I was struck by how much one of the kittens looked like
Bandit and walked over to have a closer look. Bad move!! Sammy reached out
and snagged my heart so fast it left my head spinning... the rest is
history!

Hugs,

CatNipped

Old October 16th 04, 05:53 PM
Seanette Blaylock

Kajikit had some very interesting things to
say about How did you choose your furry masters?:

Or did they choose you? Stories please!
(no I'm not just a voyeur... in three weeks we'll be getting our own
kitties and I'm getting nervous - I've never ever had a cat of my own
in my entire life! What if they decide they don't like me?)

There'll be someone who adores you. :-)

Most of my life, I've either had strays move in [my mother and her
father both have big visible-only-to-cats neon "sucker" signs on their
homes ;-) ] or kittens born at my place and never leave [not my fault
spay/neuter didn't happen! I was a kid at the time, no say in the
matter]. The one time I've ever deliberately gone seeking a cat, DH
and I settled on what we wanted [we weren't fussy, only criteria were
"young adult" age range, presence of tail, and reasonably sociable],
then I went to the shelter [he couldn't come along] and looked
everyone over who met the basic criteria. I wound up with one of the
several who reached out of the cage to grab me [and it was a *tough*
choice to make!].

Old October 16th 04, 05:59 PM
mlbriggs

On Sat, 16 Oct 2004 10:34:33 -0500, Ted Davis wrote:

On Sat, 16 Oct 2004 15:35:32 +1000, Kajikit
wrote:

Or did they choose you? Stories please!

(no I'm not just a voyeur... in three weeks we'll be getting our own
kitties and I'm getting nervous - I've never ever had a cat of my own
in my entire life! What if they decide they don't like me?)

Of the eleven who live with me at the moment:
one came to supper and stayed (12 years ago) (Spooky)
two came from asking a stranger (obviously a farmer) if he had any
extra kittens (Ozy and Millie)
one came from a co-worker who was asking if anyone wanted one of his
surplus kittens (Fluffy)
one was given to me by my boss - the stray came to his house but
they couldn't keep him (this cat grew up to become Fleagor The Great:
my magnificent alpha cat)
the rest were obtained through local classified web ads
two were abandoned and the people who found them couldn't keep
them (a brother and sister pair of kittens: Dandy and Maryweather)
two (brothers - Avery and Mudpie) were culls from a rural family
who had too many
the rest were 'moving and can't keep the cat' cases (Snowball,
Tigger)

Their pictures and stories, along with those of some I no longer have
are at http://gearbox.maem.umr.edu/tdavis/cats/index.html.

It was fun reading about your cats. Best wishes! MLB