Food translation?

Old October 18th 07, 05:14 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Stormmee

Default Food translation?

blech, Lee, who helped her dad use these for catfish bait
CatNipped wrote in message
"Yowie" wrote in message

One day I'm going to *have* to do a culinary tour of the USA, although

no
matter what, I am *not* sucking the yellow muck out of crawdad heads!.

Then be *sure* to go through New Orleans - best cooking in the US (and, I
think, even better than French cooking since we have the spicy "Cajun"
cuisine thrown in). But you don't know what you're missing if you refuse

suck the heads! ;

Hugs,

CatNipped

Yowie

Old October 18th 07, 05:19 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
jmcquown

CatNipped wrote:
"Yowie" wrote in message

One day I'm going to *have* to do a culinary tour of the USA,
although no matter what, I am *not* sucking the yellow muck out of
crawdad heads!.

Then be *sure* to go through New Orleans - best cooking in the US
(and, I think, even better than French cooking since we have the
spicy "Cajun" cuisine thrown in). But you don't know what you're
missing if you refuse to suck the heads! ;

Hugs,

CatNipped

Yowie

Sorry, Lori. Dated a Cajun for 8 years and New Orleans food way overrated.
They put more hot than taste into it. (I do love boudin, though.)

On the French side the beignets are nice. But then again so are my Scottish
grandmothers' scones served with clotted cream.

So sorry about Hurricane Katrina. But the be all, end all of cooking is not
Lousiana.

Jill

Old October 18th 07, 05:42 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Stormmee

just gained five pounds, Lee
Matthew wrote in message

"Yowie" wrote in message
"Magic Mood Jeep" wrote in message
m...
"Yowie" wrote in message
Having read the Survey thread, there were lots of foods I didn't
recognise. So, people, please describe or explain:

Sorry I know you asked a few others about these jsut pipping in

Enfilade - what is a Cottage Roll? http://www.recipezaar.com/100268

Will in New haven - what is Chicken Murphy?
http://www.recipezaar.com/36822

Granby - well, I've found out recently that biscuits in gravy is not

the
same as cookies in gravy and that what you call 'biscuit' I'd probably
call 'damper' so whilst 'biscuits in gravy' still sounds very weird to
me, its not as weird as I first thought (what I call a 'biscuit' you'd
call a 'cookie'). So, how does one make 'biscuits in gravy'?

A excellent breakfast item a recipe for you

For the biscuits:
2 cups all purpose flour
4 teaspoons baking powder
¼ teaspoon baking soda
pinch of salt
3 oz. cold butter, diced
8 oz buttermilk

Combine and sift the dry ingredients. Gently knead in the butter. Add
the buttermilk and knead on a floured board just enough to bring the dough
together. It is vital that you knead gently and no more than is necessary

or
you will develop the gluten in the flour and make the biscuits tough. Good
biscuits are as much a function of technique as ingredients. Form a flat
mass with the dough and cut out biscuits with a biscuit cutter. Don't make
them too high or the outside could become over browned by the time the
inside is cooked. Place them on parchment paper on a sheet tray and then
into a preheated 400-degree oven. Start the gravy immediately. It should

be
done close to the same time as the biscuits, which is when they are golden
in color.

For the gravy:
½ pound ground breakfast sausage.
2 tablespoons butter
4 tablespoons all purpose flour
3 cups cold milk
Salt and pepper to taste

Sauté the sausage until it is cooked and has released as much of its

fat
as possible. Remove the sausage with a slotted spoon and do NOT drain the
grease. You'll need it to make the roux. (I said this was delicious, not
health food). You should have about 2 tablespoons of rendered pork fat.

Add
the butter and melt it. Then add the flour a little at a time over medium
heat, constantly whisking. Cook for about 2-3 minutes. Now start adding

the
cold milk a little at a time, whisking incessantly. Toward the end of the
milk add the sausage back in. When you reach the desired consistency add
salt and pepper to taste. Cut the biscuits in half, pour the gravy over
them, and enjoy one of the most embracing and comforting taste sensations
known to man.

A few points here. The perfect roux has equal amounts of fat and

flour.
If for some reason your sausage renders noticeably less or more than two
tablespoons of fat, adjust the amount of flour accordingly. If you end up
making more roux you will need more milk so have extra on hand. Make sure
the roux is cooked on no more than medium heat. We do not want to burn or
brown the roux, just cook out the floury taste. Four things are necessary

assure a smooth, lump-free gravy. You must constantly whisk the roux and

the
gravy throughout the process. You must add cold milk to the hot roux. You
must incorporate the milk a little at a time. And finally, keep the heat

at
no more than medium. You can adjust the consistency however you like, but

thick creamy gravy is the target viscosity.

Christine K. - could you describe 'creamy mince sauce', please?

Bettina - butter cream cakes sound yummy - you got a recipe?

Yowie most butter cream cakes can be found at a supermarket. You would
recognize them as birthday cakes, wedding cakes
http://www.yumyum.com/recipe.htm?ID=15169

moonglow minnow - what is an apple crisp?

Also known as Apple crumble http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Apple_crisp

Matthew (and Sam) - dumb question but what is 'cornbread' as opposed

regular bread?

This is a souther cusine even though kentucky is not a southern state.

Corn bread uses corn meal to make the item. It is also known as quick

bread
If you have had hushpuppies you have had a version of cornbread

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cornbread

I love to cook mine in a black iron skillet. Sometimes I add sugar to day
old cornbread and some milk and have it as a cereal

A couple recipes for you
Ingredients:

2 cups stone-ground cornmeal, white or yellow

1 teaspoon baking soda

1 teaspoon salt 2 tablespoons flour

2 large eggs, lightly beaten

2 cups buttermilk

2 tablespoons canola oil or corn oil

(I prefer bacon drippings or melted lard, but I don't have to worry about
cholesterol and I know a lot of folks won't use it)

Preheat oven to 450. Grease skillet and place in oven to heat. (If using
lard, melt it in the skillet)

Combine all the dry ingredients and whisk to mix.

Add eggs, buttermilk and oil. (If using lard, pour the melted lard into a
metal cup to measure, make sure there is some still in the skillet).

Mix just enough to be sure all the dry ingredients are moist and there are
no dry lumps.

Pour into hot, well-greased skillet, return to oven and bake for 30

minutes
or until cake tester inserted in center comes out clean.

Turn out onto wire rack if not serving immediately or onto a cutting

board.
Do not cut in the skillet!

Cut into 8 wedges. serve hot with fresh butter.

Ingredients
2 1/2 cups (12 ounces) Coarse White or Yellow Cornmeal
1 teaspoon fine sea salt
1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
4 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted and lukewarm
1 large egg, room temperature, beaten
1 1/2 cups whole milk, room temperature
1 1/2 teaspoons vegetable oil

Directions
1. Adjust the racks to the lower-middle and upper-middle positions and

heat
the oven to 425 degrees. Heat an empty 8- to 9-inch cast iron skillet over
medium-high heat for 10 minutes.

2. While the skillet heats, turn the cornmeal, salt, and baking powder

into
a large bowl and whisk to combine.

3. Pour the melted butter into a 4-cup glass measure. Add the egg and

whisk
until smooth. Add the milk and whisk until smooth. (If the surface of the
liquid appears beaded with butter, warm the glass measuring cup and its
contents in the microwave for 20 seconds.)

4. Pour the wet ingredients into the dry and whisk lightly until smooth.

The
batter will be fairly thin. Add the vegetable oil to the hot skillet and
tilt to distribute the oil. Scrape the batter into the skillet with a

rubber
spatula-it should sizzle. Immediately place the skillet on the lower oven
rack and bake for 15 minutes. Transfer the skillet to the upper rack and
continue baking until the cornbread is golden brown on top and tests clean
with a toothpick, 5 to 10 minutes more. Remove the skillet from the oven

and
invert the cornbread onto a cutting board. Cut into wedges and serve with
butter and honey or apple butter.

Yowie - a bit ignorant of international foodstuffs.

No you are not just inexperienced. If you ever want recipes just ask. I
will gladly share my knowledge specaily with holiday season around the
corner.

About the only one of these I can answer (and I know you didn't "call"

on
me), is the one about cornbread.

Cornbread is technically 'unleavened' in the sense that it contains no
yeast (doesn't rise) - it rises more in the way that a cake would. And
it is made from not wheat flour - but CORN "meal" (rough ground corn).
Here's the Wikipedia page if that helps
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cornbread

Wow! Thanks. That *is* informative. The only two similar things I've had
is polenta, which is made with the yellow corn and tends to be Italian.
Its has no particular flavour and struck me as just a form of

carbohydrate
that ones 'adds' flavour over rather than savouring its flavour for its
own.

The other is semolina pudding, which in Australia is eaten as a

breakfast
but in England where my family is from, is eaten as a dessert. it is

made
out of wheat, but its grainy (in the same way polenta is grainy) and is
boiled in sweetened milk until it goes thick (like porridge does). My
family used to eat it hot and with 'murder in the snow' - ablob of
strawberry or raspberry jam in the middle of the otherwise white

pudding.

One day I'm going to *have* to do a culinary tour of the USA, although

no
matter what, I am *not* sucking the yellow muck out of crawdad heads!.

Yowie

Oh come on! You got to suck a little head eat a little tail ;-)

It is better than sh@t on a shingle. I make no jest that is what it is
called. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/****_on_a_shingle
http://www.misterherman.com/recipes/****.html

Old October 18th 07, 06:00 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Stormmee

yes and I have never met a well made biscuit of any kind I didn't like... to
excess, although I would probably not use butter because they get too flat
for me if I do... but that gravy... oh man I love gravy... Lee
Matthew wrote in message
What are you telling me I got some good recipes ;-)

Old October 18th 07, 07:02 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
[email protected]

On Oct 18, 11:19 am, "jmcquown" wrote:
CatNipped wrote:
"Yowie" wrote in message

[...]

Jill- Hide quoted text -

Dating a Cajun is *NOT* the same as fine dining in New Orleans.

I can't believe anyone would disagree that it is the best dining in
the US. Have any of you ever been to Arnaud's or Brennan's or
Antoine's or Broussard's? These are rated by food critics as the top
restaurants in the country! And any mom and pop restaurant there can
serve better food than most "five star" restaurants anywhere else!

Hugs,

CatNipped

Old October 18th 07, 07:17 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
EvelynVogtGamble(Divamanque)

Magic Mood Jeep wrote:

"Yowie" wrote in message

Having read the Survey thread, there were lots of foods I didn't
recognise. So, people, please describe or explain:

Enfilade - what is a Cottage Roll?

Will in New haven - what is Chicken Murphy?

Granby - well, I've found out recently that biscuits in gravy is not
the same as cookies in gravy and that what you call 'biscuit' I'd
probably call 'damper' so whilst 'biscuits in gravy' still sounds very
weird to me, its not as weird as I first thought (what I call a
'biscuit' you'd call a 'cookie'). So, how does one make 'biscuits in
gravy'?

Christine K. - could you describe 'creamy mince sauce', please?

Bettina - butter cream cakes sound yummy - you got a recipe?
moonglow minnow - what is an apple crisp?

Matthew (and Sam) - dumb question but what is 'cornbread' as opposed
to regular bread?

Yowie - a bit ignorant of international foodstuffs.

About the only one of these I can answer (and I know you didn't "call"
on me), is the one about cornbread.

Cornbread is technically 'unleavened' in the sense that it contains no
yeast (doesn't rise) - it rises more in the way that a cake would.

It's not a yeast-rising bread, true. However, it's not
really "unleavened" because it contains baking-powder -
which is also considered "leavening" by any kosher cook!

And
it is made from not wheat flour - but CORN "meal" (rough ground corn).

All the "cornbread" I've ever had contained flour as well as
cornmeal. (I think you're confusing it with "hush-puppies"
which are deep fried, not baked.)
Old October 18th 07, 07:22 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Granby

My recipe for sausage gravy isn't so fancy but, here goes. Come to think of
it, it may be a blind thing the way I do it but it works.

Brown about 1 pound of sausage (sage or hot.)
Reserve about 1/4 cup of the drippings.

In a large bowl put 6 Tablespoons flour
3 cups of milk
Wisk until flour is all mixed in.

Add the sausage drippings to a skillet, pour in the milk mixture and stir
until begins to thicken, salt and pepper to taste, add sausage and continue
cooking until desired thickness.

Pour over split biscuits or mashed potatoes.
ups.com...

Old October 18th 07, 07:26 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

Christine K. wrote:

Yowie kirjoitti:

Having read the Survey thread, there were lots of foods I didn't
recognise. So, people, please describe or explain:

Christine K. - could you describe 'creamy mince sauce', please?

That's no official name or anything...just a description. Within the
family, we call it "quick sauce", as it's fairly fast to make.

Finely chop and fry some onions until they turn translucent.
Add about a pound of mince meat and brown it up too.

Another semantic difficulty, Christine - in the US,
"mincemeat" is a sweet concoction often used for pies - it
consists mainly of raisins and "dessert" spices like
cinnamon, cloves, etc., although it may contain candied
citrus peel and brandy, also. (Originally, it also
contained ground suet - which is why it's called minceMEAT -
although I'm not sure the commercial product does.) I think
"mince" or "mincemeat" in the rest of the world is what we'd
call "ground" meat, here.
Old October 18th 07, 07:42 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Sherry

CatNipped wrote:
"Yowie" wrote in message

[...]

CatNipped- Hide quoted text -

Never been to N.O., but I would *love* to go. Just to have some
authentic food! I have
a friend who grew up there...her cooking is absolutely to die for.
(BTW, her last name
is Broussard, is that a common name there?)

Sherry

Old October 18th 07, 07:47 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
jofirey

"Matthew" wrote in message

Just come to Florida and go to Epcot. You can tour the whole world in one
park. Right now they got the international wine and food festival going
on.
http://disneyworld.disney.go.com/wdw...ecialEventPage

I can't wait for the holiday season to start there

This time of years is my sisters favorite at Mouse World. Only she loves
both the wine and food things and the holiday things. They really don't
overlap, and they live just far enough away they kind of have to choose one
or the other. They have a brand new great granddaughter to visit as of
yesterday near Orlando, so I'm guessing this year it will be the wine and
food.

With lots of years to come to take the little one to the the holiday
decorations.

Jo

Translation Yowie Cat anecdotes 16 December 1st 05 04:05 AM
Can our Finnish friends help me with a translation? Gabey8 Cat anecdotes 5 July 15th 05 11:59 AM
Cat Translation Dictionary Richard Miller Cat anecdotes 0 May 12th 05 06:38 PM
Translation - cat to hoomin Shirley Cat anecdotes 2 February 20th 05 07:58 PM
Food translation Yowie Cat anecdotes 0 November 22nd 04 05:26 AM