Older cats and arthritis

Old August 28th 03, 03:54 AM
Brian & Gina Bradtke

Default Older cats and arthritis

Hi all:

I have a 16 year old Siamese (Captain). He recently became very lethargic
(more than usual) and stopped eating and drinking and became severly
dehydrated. Took him to the Vet. She took x-rays and found he had a very
small fracture in his spine and some veterbrae were tearing away due to
arthritis. I guess which is pretty common in older cats. Anyway, trying to
find the most effective treatment for the inflammation. He is really hard
to pill but can be done. I am trying prednazone three times a week now.
Vet suggested glucosamine (Hartz Joint) or possibly Adequan injections. Any
suggestions would be much appreciated. The least I have to give him meds
orally the better, as he hates it!!

Thanks Gina

Old August 28th 03, 04:51 AM

"Brian & Gina Bradtke" wrote:

I have a 16 year old Siamese (Captain). He recently became very lethargic
(more than usual) and stopped eating and drinking and became severly
dehydrated. Took him to the Vet. She took x-rays and found he had a very
small fracture in his spine and some veterbrae were tearing away due to
arthritis. I guess which is pretty common in older cats. Anyway, trying to
find the most effective treatment for the inflammation. He is really hard
to pill but can be done. I am trying prednazone three times a week now.
Vet suggested glucosamine (Hartz Joint) or possibly Adequan injections. Any
suggestions would be much appreciated. The least I have to give him meds
orally the better, as he hates it!!

Ouch, poor guy! Best of luck to the Captain as I know pilling any cat
is a struggle, and one that is in pain will endure it even less.

You may want to try wrapping him in a towel to reduce his struggling.
Get someone to help because I find that while one person (usually the
one holding the cat) uses his hand to gently squeeze the jaw to get it
open, the helper can pop the pill to land on the back of the tongue. I
know its never that easy though. Another thing is after the pill has
been swallowed you should try to get him to swallow some food or a
snack to make sure the pill is not dissolving in the throat.

-mhd

Old August 28th 03, 06:37 AM
Katra

Brian & Gina Bradtke wrote:

Hi all:

I have a 16 year old Siamese (Captain). He recently became very lethargic
(more than usual) and stopped eating and drinking and became severly
dehydrated. Took him to the Vet. She took x-rays and found he had a very
small fracture in his spine and some veterbrae were tearing away due to
arthritis. I guess which is pretty common in older cats. Anyway, trying to
find the most effective treatment for the inflammation. He is really hard
to pill but can be done. I am trying prednazone three times a week now.
Vet suggested glucosamine (Hartz Joint) or possibly Adequan injections. Any
suggestions would be much appreciated. The least I have to give him meds
orally the better, as he hates it!!

Thanks Gina

Glucosamine... worked MIRACLES for my old Australian Shepard dog that
passed away in April. Should come in a powder that can be mixed into the
kitties food.

Hope that helps? :-)

Katra

--
^,,^ Cats-haven Hobby Farm ^,,^ ^,,^

"There are millions of intelligent species in the universe, and they are
all owned by cats" -- Asimov

Custom handcrafts, Sterling silver beaded jewelry
http://cgi3.ebay.com/aw-cgi/eBayISAP...s&userid=katra