2 very aggressive cats pleae help.

Old January 6th 06, 06:24 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav

Default 2 very aggressive cats pleae help.

"luvbrat8282 via CatKB.com" u17272@uwe wrote in message
ok to make answering all of your questions and not missing any i've copied
and pasted your post and i'll put answers beside your questions in CAPS. I
have erased all non question to make this post a little shorter. and thank
you so much for your input! =)

Are the cats all neutered, the vaccinations and boosters up to date? YES

ALL
OF THEM ARE FIXED AND UP TO DATE.

Are the cats in questions showing any other strange behavior such as
urinating outside the box? NO, NONE OF THEM ARE.

Ok how did you introduce them to the other cats? I going to bet that

you
just put them together.

No. Go to Google groups and google this group for "introducing cats."

Old January 6th 06, 06:34 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav

I'm sorry but I think that you have me all wrong! You basically just told me
that you, in some sense do the same thing that I do... only instead of
hissing or using water, you use air! And for the same reason I do. and like
I’ve tried telling you before, which I’m guessing since you've already have
this horrible image of me in your mind, I only tried the hissing and water
thing a few times, got no results from it and so I stopped doing it! And as
for "feeling emotionally rejected by a cat" I don't. I could care less how it
makes me feel. My main concern is my cats. I don’t like seeing them looking
as scared all the time. I don't believe that an animal could live happy like
that. Now once again I’m sorry that you have this image of me but you have it
all wrong. I love my cats, and there is absolutely nothing that I wouldn't do
for them! Including coming on websites and getting criticized by people like
you that make up images when instead of jumping to conclusions all you had to
do was just simply ask instead of assuming! But once again thanks for your
input!

Angie

Poobah wrote:
i have never punished her for being mean i've just tried to get her to
stop attacking me...

[...]
and as far a squrting them this is used even by
Vets! it's a way of telling them that they aren't supposed to be doing
what theyre doing with out hurting ot scaring them! they just don't
like it!

It's attitude adjustment, and simply because it doesn't hurt the cat
doesn't mean that it's any different than hitting it. The purpose is the
same, to tell the cat that it's doing something wrong. But in this case,
if the cat doesn't want to be picked up or petted, then the human is the
one doing something wrong by insisting and in essence performing a form
of agression on the cat who's feeling defensive.

I have a young female that I rescued off the street when she was about
3-4 months old. Past that age, if they haven't bonded with humans then
they'll always remain aloof. She used to swipe at my face and I grabbed
her paws and blew in her face to tell her no, but I wasn't using that
method to force her into being picked up or petted.

To this day, she sometimes hisses at me if I push her off a counter, but
that's because she sees this as a form of agression. Instead of hissing
back at her, I call to her gently to let her know that I'm not trying to
confront her and she comes out of whatever hiding place she ran under to
rub against me, and she'll kiss me on the lips. She's still very feisty
(she won't stand the proximity of my other female, who's completely
harmless) but she's mellowed out considerably and will even sleep with
me on occasion.

I didn't achieve any of this by waging a battle of wills agains her.
That's not the way to deal with a cat feeling threatened.

And for Gods sake, stop feeling emotionally rejected by a cat!

poobah

Old January 6th 06, 11:08 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav

"luvbrat8282 via CatKB.com" u17272@uwe wrote in message
..
. my cats are my

world they rule my house and do what they want really when they want

to...
(with some exceptions) IE: attacking people! and as far a squrting

them this
is used even by Vets! it's a way of telling them that they aren't

supposed to
be doing what theyre doing with out hurting ot scaring them! they

just don't
like it! and for a hissing it's a way of showing them that you

aren't afaid
of them and that youre the boss! but anyway thanks for responding

and i have
a good year!!!!

I apprecite its not pleasant to be attacked by a cat . It's very
painful but you need to understand why your two are doing it.
Aggression is a natural reaction in cats that are frightened and
fearful and feel cornered i.e attack is the best form of defence. By
doing things that are percieved as being aggressive by the cat such as
hissing and squirting water , you are proving to them that you are a
threat and danger to them and that you are unpredictable, sometimes
being nice and sometimes not and therefore their aggressiveness is
justified.
Most vets know little about cat behaviour and showing a frightened
cat that you are the boss and that your're not afraid of it (your
words) is pointless and detrimetal.
You need to encourage a good relationship based on trust so that your
cats don't feel the need to use aggression.

Alison

Old January 8th 06, 08:26 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav

Well everyone this is the last time I'm coming on this site... thanks to
everyone that has helped and just to let everyone know cat # 2 is doing great!
Thanks to you Alison. You have been the most help and for that I am very
grateful! He is now loose in the house not attacking anyone and hasn't got
into any fights with any other cats. He is still a little skittish but that's
with all cats in a new home. When we first rescued him we were just going to
keep him for a while until we found him a new and good home, but seeing how
much trouble he had just adjusting to us we've decided to keep him instead of
letting him go though the same fight with other people that might hurt him!
As for my little orange cat, she's still very very mean but I've given it a
lot of thought and I love her just the way she is... like me =) She's just
feisty and needs more attention then the others or in some cases less
attention. I've also thought that I might just go ahead and get her soft paws
and keep her in my room away from the other cats. That should give the other
cats in the house a break since she does have them all afraid of her even
though she's half, if not less, their size. =) but thanks once again Alison,
Tracyrose, NMR, and anyone else that has actually tried to help! (You know
who you are) Have a great year oh and thanks for the typing lessons cybercat
I honestly don’t know if I could have gone on though life typing like I was
if it wasn’t for you! =) Bye All!!

Alison wrote:
.
. my cats are my

world they rule my house and do what they want really when they want to...

[quoted text clipped - 4 lines]

Old January 8th 06, 04:43 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav

Now you're here, you might as well stay and pick up some more info
It can be rough on unmoderated newsgroups but some people here are
very knowledgeable and their help will be invaluable.
If you don't feel you can ask more questions, do a search on google
and look
up old posts.
http://groups.google.com/googlegroup...ouncement.html

That is a good idea to keep the little ginger cat separated for a
while , it will give
her a break too. If there is a lot of aggression between cats then the
usual advice is to separate them and slowly re introduced them ,
first by smell and then visual .
Feliway diffusers can help relax cats and chill out, they're expensive
but it might be worth trying them.

--
Alison
http://catinfolinks.mysite.wanadoo-members.co.uk/

Old January 8th 06, 07:10 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav

"luvbrat8282 via CatKB.com" u17272@uwe wrote

oh and thanks for the typing lessons cybercat
I honestly don't know if I could have gone on though life typing like I

was
if it wasn't for you! =) Bye All!!

You're welcome, luvbrat. You have made tremendous progress, good for you.

rec.pets.cats: Norwegian Forest Cat Breed-FAQ Bjorn Steensrud Cat Information 0 October 19th 05 05:37 AM
rec.pets.cats: Traditional Siamese Breed-FAQ Laura Gilbreath Cat Information 0 October 19th 05 05:35 AM
performing cats Norm Cat anecdotes 0 September 18th 05 03:32 AM
Indoor cat..quality of life? blair thompson Cat health & behaviour 420 September 14th 04 11:46 PM
cat trivia Frank Cat health & behaviour 40 June 16th 04 04:15 AM