My Siamese Has IBD (Or So Was Told)

Old May 9th 04, 05:30 AM
Zaida

Did you leave a message for the vet asking about the possibility of
cancer?

Laura
--
I am Dyslexia of Borg,
Your ass will be laminated.

Hi Laura. Ming has a follow-up on Monday. The vet already told me of a
probable stomach cancer as being the cause of Ming's IBD when I picked him
up last week. That was the last of one of our lengthy conversations; or
better, her best medical judgment given the limitations of what I can and
can't approve for diagnostic exams. She didn't get into the details of the
probable cancer itself; the explanation into that was sketchy though more
was talked about regarding Ming's response to food and medication.

Thinking back now, I must've blocked out cancer as being a primary suspect
even if she did mention it because either I was unwilling to accept the
diagnosis or because I was still stuck with the convinced belief that this
was all caused by his ear flushing procedure. At the very least, my
inattentiveness was also due to the multiplicity of my personal problems at
hand at the same time, i.e. my husband's car accident and how we now do need
a new vehicle (it isn't even an option). At the same time, I was feeling
distraught at my helplessness to make a decision to go for endoscopy (the
vet's next step) or simply "waiting" for a show of improvement with Ming.
And so with all these, the vet knows where we stand. This is why a
discussion of "options" of sorts was never taken into detail. What is
mutually agreed is that my being at such a financial disadvantage could give
way to talks of possible euthanasia in the future ... IF Ming's condition
ever get to that point. That's where she and I left the conversation at
that.

The vet and I will talk about everything on Monday; at least from the
postings and readings that I've drowned myself in, I have a clearer
understanding of the pathophysiology of the possible causes for Ming's
symptoms. I can at least have a better educated talk with her come Monday.
I also have to get from her a copy of his records; lab work, CBC and all.

Thanks so much for everything. I feel your loss; and I feel very
disheartened. Your discourse reminds me to keep an open mind; not to keep
my hopes too high though I know today's a good day for Ming. It's a start.
Tomorrow's another day. Do understand that I feel so bogged down and
overwhelmed by the stark possibilities that I have been dreading to read the
posts lately. But I came here to seek help and I must face all the answers
possible; notwithstanding my limitations in solving this grave problem. You
have all been such a source of tremendous knowledge to me. Thanks again
very, very much to everyone.

Old May 9th 04, 01:29 PM
Liz

"Zaida" wrote in message news:YvmdnYgrL-
Hi Laura. Ming has a follow-up on Monday. The vet already told me of a
probable stomach cancer as being the cause of Ming's IBD when I picked him
up last week. That was the last of one of our lengthy conversations; or
better, her best medical judgment given the limitations of what I can and
can't approve for diagnostic exams. She didn't get into the details of the
probable cancer itself; the explanation into that was sketchy though more
was talked about regarding Ming's response to food and medication.

First, I´m glad to know your kitty is doing better.

I have a cat that developed IBD a little while ago and not once he
vomitted his food. His symptoms were bloody diarrhea with a lot of
mucous on it. Contrary to what this Dr. Mike Richards says, these are
the symptoms I´ve read most often with IBD. I discovered that in my
cat´s case, it was not a food allergy but a fiber intolerance. Some
kinds of fiber irritate his colon and some don´t. I experimented some
different dry foods and the only one that worked was Eukanuba Chicken
and Rice. Yet, instead of keeping him on dry food, I switched him back
to a raw homemade diet which also worked.

IMO, vomitting is more related to a food allergy. Not long ago, one of
the tigers in the zoo here was vomitting his food and was switched to
a different kind of meat. Once switched to pork, he no longer
vomitted. I believe your cat does not have stomach cancer but does
have a food allergy, specially if prednisone is working. What you
might want to try is discontinue prednisone and try different foods
until you find one that he can keep down. Try different meats. If you
currently feed him a food with chicken, try switching to a food with
lamb or beef. Hopefully you will find something that works.

Old May 9th 04, 02:46 PM
dgk

On Sat, 8 May 2004 21:30:00 -0700, "Zaida"
wrote:

Did you leave a message for the vet asking about the possibility of
cancer?

Laura
--
I am Dyslexia of Borg,
Your ass will be laminated.

Hi Laura. Ming has a follow-up on Monday. The vet already told me of a
probable stomach cancer as being the cause of Ming's IBD when I picked him
up last week. That was the last of one of our lengthy conversations; or
better, her best medical judgment given the limitations of what I can and
can't approve for diagnostic exams. She didn't get into the details of the
probable cancer itself; the explanation into that was sketchy though more
was talked about regarding Ming's response to food and medication.

My cat Nico died of leukemia related to IBD. Before he died, it cost
me $4000 to have lots of tests run to find out what the problem was.
He vomited often and was losing weight. He spent four horrible days in
the specialty vet and clung to me like a leech when I went to pick him
up. He was shaking the whole time.

Then I had to feed him through a tube for a few weeks and had to force
prednisone and leukeran (chemo drug) into him - he was not an easy
pill and the compounding didn't work well since he wouldn't eat the
stuff that had it.

He did have a month or two, during the six months from diagnosis to
death, where he was sort of like his old self. But he never climbed
the cat tree again and I figured he must be somewhat dizzy or just too
weak.

I didn't read the beginning of this thread and don't know how old Ming
is or the other basic stuff. But, given what I know Nico went through,
I don't think I would have gone to those measures if I had it to do
again. Not because of the money, but because I think I made him
suffer.

And this didn't involve a major operation either. I had already
decided that if a major operation was needed then I wasn't going to
put him through that.

Anyway, I just wanted to let you know that doing nothing, or treating
Ming's symptoms to make him (her?) comfortable, could be the best
decision anyway. You'll feel sad that maybe you could have done more,
but you'll never know if that option is better, so don't fret too much
over it. Either way you are going to end up sad eventually. But the
happy things sort of balance it out.

Old May 9th 04, 06:20 PM
Zaida

Your input tugged at the core of everything that I'm feeling, thinking,
sensing ... simply going through. Thanks so much. Everyday seems to me
like a fork in the road. The questions are always: Do I? Should I? What
if?

The beginning of this thread started with the subject heading "My Siamese
Has IBD (Or So Was Told)" if you'd like to go back (or go to the ng
rec.pets.cats.health+behav since the thread there hasn't been cut off) ....
kind-a long-drawn though (I apologize), but I was so bent on looking for
cause-and-effect coupled with my ignorance about feline physiology. :-T

btw, Ming has eaten 1/4 cup of his C/D this morning. But I've noticed
that he only licks it; sucking it dry and leaving off the meaty part in his
bowl. I don't know if he's getting the proper nutrients or should I
force-feed the meat part. He's still not drinking water and this is
starting to concern me even if he's "eating" on his own. For good measure,
I force-fed a jar of baby food around midnight last night. He hasn't moved
bowel yet, but he is urinating. I'm continuing with the prednisone.

Old May 9th 04, 06:41 PM
Zaida

First, I´m glad to know your kitty is doing better.

* Thank you.

I have a cat that developed IBD a little while ago and not once he
vomitted his food. His symptoms were bloody diarrhea with a lot of
mucous on it. Contrary to what this Dr. Mike Richards says, these are
the symptoms I´ve read most often with IBD. I discovered that in my
cat´s case, it was not a food allergy but a fiber intolerance. Some
kinds of fiber irritate his colon and some don´t. I experimented some
different dry foods and the only one that worked was Eukanuba Chicken
and Rice. Yet, instead of keeping him on dry food, I switched him back
to a raw homemade diet which also worked.

* I also agree. I also now feel strongly Ming has a food allergy. Maybe
Dr. Mike Richards just didn't remember to include fiber when mentioning
allergies related to food intake, but one thing I understood from his
explanation is that when referring to IBD, it can be likened to a "syndrome"
.... even stating in one of his responses that to say that a cat has IBD is
like saying a person has dermatitis. I now understand that IBD is a general
term to indicate a symptomatic condition (Crohn's Disease can be said the
same for us humans). Another good example that everyone can relate to is
hypertension. It exists as a condition pointing to a deeper underlying
cause. And the causes are too many, i.e. cardiovascular, endocrinal,
pharmacological; the list goes on.

IMO, vomitting is more related to a food allergy. Not long ago, one of
the tigers in the zoo here was vomitting his food and was switched to
a different kind of meat. Once switched to pork, he no longer
vomitted. I believe your cat does not have stomach cancer but does
have a food allergy, specially if prednisone is working. What you
might want to try is discontinue prednisone and try different foods
until you find one that he can keep down. Try different meats. If you
currently feed him a food with chicken, try switching to a food with
lamb or beef. Hopefully you will find something that works.

* Ming has no diarrhea, Liz. Purely vomiting. I don't remember exactly
when he developed a food allergy, but for quite a while now, before all this
craziness began, Ming would regurgitate at times; just not with all kinds of
food though mostly canned. Right now, the C/D is canned, but it is working
fine so I'll stay with this for the time-being. I will brave the testing of
different foods someday as long as he's back to his good 'ol self once more.
The vet did say I can create something home-made and I did wonder if that
included raw meat. I've read that some cats are fed raw meat. But don't I
present him to an exposure to bacterial infection if he already has an
ulcer? It's just a curious question. At any rate, Ming is ambling along
ok. I sure wish he can get his full coordination back sooner ... he shows
signs of vertigo still. All I know right now is that his equilibrium is key
to his ability to keep food down.

* Thanks again!

Old May 10th 04, 08:37 PM
Zaida

Laura, hi. Please e-mail me back at your earliest convenience. I tried
e-mailing, but my e-mail bounced back.

Thanks much,
Zaida

"Laura R." wrote in message
.. .
circa Sat, 8 May 2004 09:17:38 -0700, in rec.pets.cats.health+behav,
Zaida ) said,
Hi Laura. Southern California. I think the Comcast servers are

primarily
in NJ.

Ah, I probably should have poked further and tracerouted your IP. In
any case, are there any veterinary colleges near you?

Laura
--
I am Dyslexia of Borg,
Your ass will be laminated.