My Siamese Has IBD (Or So Was Told)

Old May 12th 04, 09:26 PM
Johnny Comelately

"Professor" wrote in message . ..
"Zaida" wrote in message
Hey there, Laura. Don't worry about it; I wrote pretty much the same
thing here already. I was just really feeling bummed and needed an
"e-shoulder" (sniffles) g ... and my saying that at the risk of ruining
your rep with the football ng. vbg

Too late. One glimpse of Laura's dark side and the football ng shriveled.

Shut up Professor! Laura is the nicest person in this group. You must
be obscessed with her. Get over it before she laminates you.

J.C.
Old May 12th 04, 11:06 PM
Professor

"Johnny Comelately" wrote in message
m...
"Professor" wrote in message

. ..
"Zaida" wrote in message
Hey there, Laura. Don't worry about it; I wrote pretty much the

same
thing here already. I was just really feeling bummed and needed an
"e-shoulder" (sniffles) g ... and my saying that at the risk of

ruining
your rep with the football ng. vbg

Too late. One glimpse of Laura's dark side and the football ng

shriveled.

Shut up Professor! Laura is the nicest person in this group. You must
be obscessed with her. Get over it before she laminates you.

J.C.

You sound just like a Laura supporter. Here is one of "Johnny's" recent
posts:

(Johnny Comelately) wrote in
alt.flame.******s...

ROTFLMFWAO!! For a ****** you sure can write! You flamed the **** out
of Reb and Kev, but is this **** true you write or just a ******
fantasy?

Nice, huh?
Laura appreciates having upstanding citizens like you to fight her battles
for her.

Old May 16th 04, 02:03 AM
Mary

"Laura R." wrote in message
.. .
circa Wed, 12 May 2004 06:53:48 GMT, in rec.pets.cats.health+behav,
Mary ) said,

He was truly unique. He was so beautiful, so damned smart, and *such*
a *******. Helluva combination. He really left a hole in my life, but
I was very lucky to have all the extra time with him that I did. I
got to say a very long goodbye.

Did you ever film him?

That's a good question! I think I may have- I have a video camera,
and I know I filmed various household stuff, so I probably did. I
should go find the tapes. :-)

I'd love to see them. Don't know what is involved
in posting them, though. It occurs to me that it is a good thing to do, so
that we will never forget certain things about them. Or just for fun! A
Kitty cam!

---

Old June 19th 04, 01:32 AM
Zaida

Hi Laura and everyone!

I've been in a tailspin since my last post, occasionally checking this ng.
I've sad news.

Ming has been diagnosed officially as being deaf bilaterally (both ears).
found a vet within reasonable distance who had a BAER diagnostic equipment
and I took Ming there. I was present and assisting the vet throughout the
whole procedure. He sedated Ming with a small dose of Katamine and found
that this cat is very sensitive to this drug. He suspects if it's the
same
one the vet administered during his ear flushing procedure, that Ming OD'd
on it. His personal take is that Ming suffered an acute MI (heart attack)
and from that, Ming was anoxic (lacking oxygen) for a good 4 to 5 minutes
during the ear flushing. Anoxia, he suspects, is enough to affect any
number of nerve tissue, and in Ming's case, render his 8th cranial nerve
(auditory) damaged.

He said that other cats normally come out of sedation, from the small dose
he gave Ming, within 10 to 15 minutes. In Ming's case, it took 45
minutes.
Even at home, he was still groggy coming out of it and it took 5 hours to
fully recover. This vet thinks that Ming's vet's assistant probably lied
the vet. I even had the notion in the first place that it wasn't the vet
who performed the ear flush procedure but one of her assistants, which
begs
the question: who is allowed to perform any procedure involving
anesthesia?
Just the vet, right?

As for Ming, I've been giving him nothing but total TLC, playing with him
gently now. Because he's strength is nowhere near as his old self. As
I've told the vet who gave the BAER test, Ming is weak in his hind legs
and
yes, he did note that to be true. Ming can't push himself to jump. And
he
totally misses the couch or chair. When having to jump to bed, he has to
pull himself up by standing up to lean himself with his front paws against
the side of the bed, then pull himself up with his claws from that
position.
Last night he missed, I think, because I heard a big thud and that woke me
and my husband up. I immediately picked him up from the floor and when I
got him to the bed, he was shaking his head; poor thing.

I also have lighting now in the hallways, through the staircase and
kitchen.
He still loves to roam around the house, but I make sure his pathways are
always lit. His meows are so-loud now and he doesn't "talk" to me in
those
different inflections that he used to have anymore.

What is my next recourse? Vet board? The last vet told me that even if I
had taken Ming to the farthest part in town (Tustin, California - I live
40
miles away) where they have the fancy diagnostic machines, no surgery can
bring Ming's hearing back if it's an auditory nerve damage.

I am so sullen with this diagnosis, even if in my heart, I knew, but
denied
the possibility of his being totally deaf. I'm so grief-stricken that I
can't even begin to write up the most objective complaint report. I have
all the forms here and have been dragging my feet. My brother told me
that
I'm grieving is what I look like, being unable to put together the courage
to fight the b**** who did this to Ming. Small claims court? No vet
would
like to support me on my behalf (remember their famous line "in the best
interest of professionalism"?) BUT yes, I do have the last vet's
diagnosis
on paper and yes, he knows what I'm planning to do. So he stamped it with
his name, address and phone number, wrote in his diagnosis of "this pet is
deaf bilaterally", then signed his own name. That was the best he could
do
without having to speak up against a co-vet in writing.

I don't know ... after Ming someday, I don't think I'd ever want to own
another pet, knowing what I know now that if something ever does go wrong
with my pet, I can't count on any vet to be honest with me.

At any rate, thanks everyone for all your input and help in the initial
stages to help me muddle through. If someone out there knows what other
legal recourse I have to ensure that this mishap goes into Ming's vet's
file, I'll do everything I can to do that. I find myself completely
stupefied that at this day and age, "mistakes" like these can still go
unpunished. The BAER vet said to me that most likely, Ming's vet's notes
will stand. I'm like "even in the face of total deafness?" The only way
know for her to get away with this is to say to the board that she
informed
me of everything that was performed or has been diagnosed in Ming. Well,
have this long thread to support all my suspicions from day one.

Will keep you all posted. Thanks again!

Old June 19th 04, 02:22 AM
Cheryl

In the fine newsgroup "rec.pets.cats.health+behav", "Zaida"
artfully composed this message within
on 18 Jun 2004:

I'm grieving is what I look like, being unable to put together
the courage to fight the b**** who did this to Ming. Small
claims court? No vet
would
like to support me on my behalf (remember their famous line
"in the best interest of professionalism"?) BUT yes, I do
have the last vet's
diagnosis
on paper and yes, he knows what I'm planning to do. So he
stamped it with his name, address and phone number, wrote in
his diagnosis of "this pet is deaf bilaterally", then signed
his own name. That was the best he could
do
without having to speak up against a co-vet in writing.

I'm so sorry that you and Ming are going through this. As for
recourse, whatever you do, do it now. Ming didn't die as a result
of any mistreatment during the procedure, and the more time passes,
the more the story is going to change. I speak from experience
because when my Shadow had to go through diagnostic procedures,
plus a feeding tube, and complications from both the feeding tube
and the anesthesia used (his heart raced on the surgery table while
he was under and the vet had to call in a cardiologist during the
surgery for consult) and then more complications resulting in
several surgeries, damage to his soft pallet, internal bleeding
requiring a transfusion, donor cat being FeLV+ passed on to my cat,
the whole story changed because his file was so thick already and
the vet hadn't completed his file at the time I seeked another vet
and she outright lied about the FeLV thing. Please don't let this
get you down because Ming will sense it. Do what you have to do
outside of your interaction with her; no "poor poor kitty" noises
in front of her. In my state, the Dept of Agriculture actually
handles vet malpractice. Do a net search for vet malpractice for
your state and see where you have to file a report. If nothing
else, they'll have the vet investigated. I waited too long, then
devastating family circumstances superceded my threat to hold the
vet responsible, and then time just passes and it's too late.

--
Cheryl