The sad tale of Fluffy Skye

Old October 2nd 04, 03:09 AM
Luramao

She's gone.

Three and a half days from diagnosis til her death.

And she was only 3 years old. She never really had a chance to "Live".

She'd had a horrid life, but I just assumed that now that I had her,
we'd have 15 or so more years, during which I could treat her as
wonderfully as she deserved. She was such a sweet, wonderul kitty.

I just dont know how such a sweetheart could end up living such a rotten
life, and to end up being cut down at merely 3 years old

The subQ's seemed to be going ok the 3 days I gave them to her. And,
she was up and down, so far as her condition, but I so much was hoping
we could somehow get thru this, or at least give her some time. But it
was not to be.

This afternoon, around 4 pm, she began intermittently crying out and
moaning, and also seemed like she was no longer able to stand. I
watched her closely, hoping it was something temporary. My regular vet
closes at 5:30, and I delayed, wanting to make absolutely certain,
before taking her to be put to sleep. But she did not improve. And,
she was suffering. The time had come, and I didnt want to have her
suffer thru the night til my regular vet opened up at 8 am tomorrow, so
I gathered her up - she was lying in a kitty basket on a soft, thick
pillow, and drove the 30 miles or so to the nearest animal emergency
clinic.

She seemed to quiet down, and just rest during the drive, and I began to
doubt again if I was doing the right thing. I stopped before we pulled
into the parking lot just to see how she was, but the crying and moaning
started up again........so......

I'd been to one animal ER clinic before, and it was not a pleasant
experience, with a long wait, and lots of barking dogs also. But this
time, when I walked in carrying the kitty basket, I couldn't stop the
tears from coming. I walked up to the counter and the lady there saw
Fluffy Skye and said "...oh dear, looks like somebody just died".
Amidst a flood of tears, I said, no, she was here to be put to sleep.

So, instead of making me and Fluffy Skye wait in the waiting room, they
put us immediately into an exam room. The vet tech came right away,
followed soon thereafter by the veterinarian.
They took a rectal temperature, which was, I think, 90, but it was way
below what is normal, and means she was already on her way out. And,
her heartbeat, instead of a normal 180-190, was only 120. Her
circulatory system was shutting down. I'm so glad they checked her
vitals and told me that, information, because now I'll Know she was in
fact dying, and I wont have second-guessing thoughts, wondering if she
could have rallied, or wondering if I'd "killed her" rather than just
ending her suffering.

I cannot say enough how understanding and caring the people at the
clinic were. I guess they get a lot of animals die there, and probably
a lot are euthanized there too, but I'm glad it happened there with such
kind people doing it.

This is the first cat I've had put to sleep.

Of course I couldnt read her mind or feel her feelings, but from what I
observed, it wasn't bad at all, as a way of easing her out of this world
without any further suffering. Especially as she was dying anyway.

They quickly shaved a back leg. The vet injected the needle while I
stroked her side and the tech stroked her head, and everybody talked
reassuringly to her. She protested a bit when the needle went in, but
other than that, the whole thing seemed painless and non-traumatic for
her.

She was lying on the pillow. The vet told me they were ready, and
asked me if I needed any time; I said no, that she was suffering and
lets get it done as soon as possible. The vet then told me that first
an anesthetic would be injected, so that she would feel nothing, and
then, the lethal drug. We continued talking to her and stroking her,
and after what seemed like a very short interval, the vet took the
needle out of her leg. I said "is that it? Is it already in her?" and
she said yes, although because her circulatory system was depressed, it
might take a little longer than normal, and that sometimes there is a
bit of stiffening in the legs or a "hiccup" breath after the actual
death, but that she would already be gone at that point, so not to be
alarmed.

I continued talking to her and petting her, briefly, and she just
quietly passed over to the rainbow bridge. It really was just like she
simply went to sleep, other than that her eyes remained open. There was
no dramatic instant of knowing she was gone, no struggle, no pain nor
trauma for her. She was just resting quietly, and then at some
indeterminable point, she breathed no more, and her eyes were dilated
and unresponsive. It was a very smooth, seamless passage from life to
afterlife.

It was around 7:30 or 8 pm. .....she was diagnosed with kidney failure
this past Tuesday...... and now its all over, already. Too soon,
much too soon.

But, goodbye Fluffy Skye.....you are in a better place now. I wish I
could have given you the wonderful life you deserved, and which I was
planning for us, but, now you will at last find happiness - in your
Forever, "forever home."

Lura

Old October 2nd 04, 04:14 AM
Mary

"Luramao" wrote in message
She's gone.

Three and a half days from diagnosis til her death.

I'm so sorry. I know how much this hurts.

[...]

I cannot say enough how understanding and caring the people at the clinic

were. I guess they get a lot of animals die there, and probably a lot are
euthanized there too, but I'm glad it happened there with such kind people
doing it.

This really does make a world of difference, and I hope you will use this
vet always.

[...]

What you have described is just as it was for my cat--gentle and
merciful--perhaps you see now why that other method so disturbed me.

But, goodbye Fluffy Skye.....you are in a better place now. I wish I

could have given you the wonderful life you deserved, and which I was
planning for us, but, now you will at last find happiness - in your
Forever, "forever home."

Lura, you gave her the very best care and in the end, the
greatest gift--release from suffering. I hope your heart heals soon.

Old October 2nd 04, 06:22 AM
MacCandace

But, goodbye Fluffy Skye.....you are in a better place now. I wish I
could have given you the wonderful life you deserved, and which I was
planning for us, but, now you will at last find happiness - in your
Forever, "forever home."

Lura

I'm sorry, you did the right thing. And she knew she was loved even though it
wasn't long enough for you.

Candace
(take the litter out before replying by e-mail)

See my cats:
http://photos.yahoo.com/maccandace

"One does not meet oneself until one catches the reflection from an eye other
than human." (Loren Eisely)

Old October 2nd 04, 06:22 AM
mlbriggs

On Fri, 01 Oct 2004 22:09:01 -0400, Luramao wrote:

[...]

""""""...Rise up slowly, Angel. It's hard to let you go...:
Sincere condolences. MLB

Old October 2nd 04, 10:09 AM
Mimi Yeung

The sadness I felt when reading this story will probably linger on for a
while. I can't even imagine how heart-wrenching this whole thing is for
you. Just wanna let you know that there is one more soul in the world that
senses your pain and wishes you could get over it soon. I am sure there are
many kitties' mums and dads out there who feel the same.

And thanks very much for making the feline friend's miserable life much
less miserable.

"Luramao" ???
???...

Fluffy kitty Richard Cat anecdotes 4 July 5th 04 06:04 PM
Fluffy? Jo Firey Cat anecdotes 5 January 15th 04 04:20 AM
Trybute to Fluffy, House of Heather Me Cat community 8 October 24th 03 04:09 PM
Fluffy Kitty 2002-2003 Me Cat community 12 October 18th 03 07:43 AM