Kittens vs. consumer electronics

Old January 6th 06, 04:23 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav

Default Kittens vs. consumer electronics

---MIKE--- wrote:

She was NOT bald - just lost some hair on her belly which was probably
not from the heating pad.

oh good heavens man, do I have to go get the post

mike mike, it's alright, embrace the truth

she was only bald where the heating pad was

SHA!

Old January 6th 06, 05:34 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav

Better than the post is a photo.

http://albums.photo.epson.com/j/View...e=0&re s=high

---MIKE---
In the White Mountains of New Hampshire
(44° 15' N - Elevation 1580')

Old January 6th 06, 06:03 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav

---MIKE--- wrote:
Better than the post is a photo.

http://albums.photo.epson.com/j/View...e=0&re s=high

steeeeerike ONE!

nobody home at link

Old January 6th 06, 09:02 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav

I wrote:

Sounds to me like it might be a good question for one of the high
technology groups.

Newsgroups: sci.electronics.repair
Subject: Too close to a computer monitor?

Old January 7th 06, 12:50 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav

"---MIKE---" wrote in message
Better than the post is a photo.

http://albums.photo.epson.com/j/View...729977&Sequenc
e=0&res=high

nobody home at that link

i posted this earlier under from google acct
i think i will stop using google to post

Old January 7th 06, 12:53 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav

"Levon" wrote in message news:yfEvf.6082$uy3.1087@trnddc08...

ok, I see...

i had to copy paste link rather than click through

but what is that in the picture

is that the top of your head?

damn shame really, all that hair and a pink bald spot

just kidding, hope she grows back when you cut the heating pad off
do her heart a favor and make her stay warm on her own Mike.

Old January 7th 06, 12:57 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav

hope she grows back when you cut the
heating pad off do her heart a favor
and make her stay warm on her own
Mike.

The hair all grew back last summer. I now have a "diffuser" over the
pad to reduce the heat. It is just slightly warm now. I will be
checking her tummy frequently to see if there is any hair loss.

Old January 12th 06, 10:13 PM
sCatologist sCatologist is offline
Junior Member

Location: Wyoming
Question

Am glad someone else is asking this question, too. We have a 3-year old tortie cat that loves to sleep on top of the monitor in my wife's home-office. She (the cat) has always been allowed outside, hunted mice and voles and the occasional bird. She has always been fed a high-grade organic cat food, as well as occasional small portions of meat and fish. Never had any problems with her, until just before Christmas. She started vomiting virtually everything we tried to feed her, so we took her to vet. X-rays revealed a "possible" foreign object in the small intestine, so we let them open her up, looking for string, Christmas ribbon, etc (apparently a very common problem). Vet found a "possible" object that had passed into the large intestine by the time he got in there, so he didn't cut her bowel open, thankfully. After surgery recovery, she went right back to vomiting everything except some very expensive venison-based "I.D." brand food. She can eat as little as one pellet of our other cat's food, and the whole vomiting process begins again. Anyway, to get to the point, is there any medical evidence anywhere that prolonged close exposure to the back of computer monitors causes digestive or other health problems in cats? Has anyone else besides Lurkster thought seriously about this? The vet's diagnosis is ""extreme" food allergies and irritable bowel syndrome," but he can't give us any ideas as to why she could eat virtually anything for over three years and all of the sudden not be able to keep anything down but the strictest regimen of this "ID" food. The only difference between the two cat's lives has been that the tortie spends so much time sleeping on the top of the computer monitor. Sorry this is so lengthy, but it seemed like a thorough explanation in the beginning might prompt the best answers. Thanks, hope to hear from some of you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lurkster
My wife & I have a kitten that acts like it's about to fold up. Weak,
very little appetite, lethargic, stunted growth when compared to her
siblings. Barely walks. The vet really couldn't do much in the way
of diagnosis without blood tests, etc. Heres the fun part- This
kitten made a habit, for a while of sleeping on top of the comuter
monitor, assumably for the warmth. Normally, a person wouldn't think
too much about that, but, we have had (2) kittens in the past who have
taken to sleeping on (1) a power supply for a laptop, and (2) a heating
pad (set on low). Both of them developed similar symptoms to this one.
(one died). After 3 such common occurances, we are becoming
convinced that either the heat or some form of electromagnetic
radiation may be to blame. The vets have all poo-poo'd this
immediately. Looking at other discussion groups, I found one post that
stated they had heard that cats would do that as a symptom of feline
leukemia. I'm thinking not. Our other 10 cats are healthy. I'm
curious as to whether the heat may have induced some kind of feline
heat stroke. Does anyone else have any ideas, or have had any
experience with kittens who nap on electronic/electrical apparati and
became ill?
Thanks
Old January 13th 06, 06:56 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav

sCatologist wrote:

Anyway, to get to the point, is there any medical evidence
anywhere that prolonged close exposure to the back of computer
monitors causes digestive or other health problems in cats? Has
anyone else besides Lurkster thought seriously about this?

Have you read the rest of the thread?
Old January 13th 06, 05:25 PM
sCatologist sCatologist is offline
Junior Member

Location: Wyoming

Yes, I scanned it quickly, and it seems like there is only speculation and replies, but no one with any real "proof" of cause/effect, nor any evidence of an animal's improved health if they prevented the animal from parking itself up on the monitor for a great length of time; for instance, several months of intentional prevention. Without that, it's just speculation, like saying "my eyes are getting worse because I stare at a computer all day for my job," but not proving it by taking an extended time off and avoiding staring at the computer to see if the eyes return to normal (I did this: taking a 3 1/2 week raft trip in the Grand Canyon, and my eyes got LOTS better, so there was a verifiable cause/effect relationship). Anyway, I'm going to rig something so the cat can't lay on the monitor, and see if it helps her.