Is it just me....

Old April 19th 06, 12:30 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

Default Is it just me....

"Jane" wrote in message

So a bit like humans after the morning visit to the bathroom following
consumption of a particualrly spicy curry the night before.

Is that too much information???

Cheers, helen s ;-)

TMI. But I do love a good Curry.

So do I. I live near the curry capital of the UK, and I have recipes
which
I'm happy to share if any of you can get Indian spices.

Pass them on! I can get the Indian spices and I LOVE a good curry!

Prawn Tikka Masala

2 tbsps tomato puree (tablespoons)
1 tbsp lemon juice
1 tspb ginger pulp (use 1 tsp (teaspoon) ground ginger if you can't get it)
1 tsp ground coriander
1 tsp ground cumin
1 tsp chilli powder
1 tbsp corn oil
half tsp salt
15 frozen cooked king prawns, defrosted and peeled

Sauce;
3 tbsp natural yogurt
1 tsp garam masala
1 tsp chilli powder
1 tsp ginger pulp (or half tsp ground g)
1 tsp salt
250ml (8 fl oz) single cream
3 tbsp corn oil
1 tbsp chopped fresh coriander (cilantro)

1. In a bowl mix together the tomato puree, lemon juice, ginger, garlic,
ground coriander, cumin, chilli powder, oil & salt.
2. Place the prawns on a heatproof dish and cook under a preheated medium
hot grill for 5-7 minutes, turning them at least once and basting
occasionally with a brush. Remove from the heat when black marks begin to
appear on the prawns and set aside.
3. To make the sauce, mix together the natural yogurt, garam masala, chilli
powder, ginger pulp, salt and half of the single cream.
4. Heat the oil for the sauce in a saucepan and gently pour in the tikka
masala mixture, stirring all the time. Remove the pan from the heat if the
mixture begins to curdle but continue to stir. Bring to the boil.
5. Pour in the remaining cream, add the fresh coriander and grilled prawns
and stir until the sauce has thickened. Transfer to a serving dish.
Serve with basmati rice or naan bread.

Old April 19th 06, 03:02 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

Christina Websell wrote:

250ml (8 fl oz) single cream

What is "single cream"?

Thanks,
Joyce
Old April 19th 06, 03:25 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

wrote in message
Christina Websell wrote:

250ml (8 fl oz) single cream

What is "single cream"?

Thanks,
Joyce

It's around 18% I believe.

Old April 19th 06, 08:18 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

Bill Stock wrote:

wrote in message
Christina Websell wrote:

250ml (8 fl oz) single cream

What is "single cream"?

It's around 18% I believe.

18% what? Do you mean milk fat? Is this heavier than heavy whipping
cream?

Joyce
Old April 19th 06, 09:09 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

Christina Websell wrote:

Prawn Tikka Masala

Actually, this recipe confuses me a bit. What is the first list of
ingredients for? Step 1 says to combine them, but then it never says
what to do with them. Or is it in Step 4? If so, it seems redundant
to have chili powder, ginger and corn oil in there twice (once in
each list).

Explain? I really want to make this!

Thanks,
Joyce
Old April 19th 06, 09:25 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

wrote in message
Christina Websell wrote:

Prawn Tikka Masala

Actually, this recipe confuses me a bit. What is the first list of
ingredients for? Step 1 says to combine them, but then it never says
what to do with them. Or is it in Step 4? If so, it seems redundant
to have chili powder, ginger and corn oil in there twice (once in
each list).

Explain? I really want to make this!

In effect you are giving the prawns a spicy coating before grilling them and
later adding them to your sauce - yes, it does seem confusing to use
chilli/ginger etc twice but you need to.
As for single cream, do you call it light cream? I should just check here
too that prawns as we know them in the UK are the same as US prawns as I
seem to remember reading somewhere that you call shrimps prawns or vice
versa. Prawns (in this recipe) are the bigger ones, and if you can get (or
afford!) tiger prawns or king prawns so much the better.

If my Asian recipes prove popular, I'll try and post one now and again.
I *love* Asian food. I would eat it every day except it's often high in fat
and I don't want to ruin my perfect cholesterol count ;-)
It doesn't hurt once a week or so.
Oh, not on Sunday though. I *have* to have the traditional English Sunday
roast dinner with Yorkshire pudding.

Tweed

Old April 19th 06, 10:51 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

"Helen Miles" wrote in message
news:58fd9b96559338101190d15efc58d654.76411@mygate .mailgate.org...
Is it just me, or do cats have cheesy smelling feet? ;o)

Lily has developed a habit of shoving her feet in my face when she's
sprawled beside me, and they are usually a tad wiffy! ;o)

Helen M

Neither of my cats offer their feet to be smelt, but my dogs pads had a
smell which I liked. It was sort of mousey but not exactly - sort of a
"bed" smell, does anyone know what I mean?
I'd imagine that a cat that had to use a litterbox would have smellier feet
that one that used the great outdoors.

Tweed

Old April 20th 06, 12:14 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

wrote in message
Christina Websell wrote:

In effect you are giving the prawns a spicy coating before grilling
them and later adding them to your sauce - yes, it does seem confusing
to use chilli/ginger etc twice but you need to.

You know, the recipe does not say to place that mixture on the prawns
before grilling. I didn't realize I was supposed to do that. Makes sense,
but it should probably say so explicitly.

As for single cream, do you call it light cream?

We do have something called "light cream", but I don't know if that's
the same as single cream. We also have heavy cream (also called whipping
cream, because you can make whipped cream from it), but I guess that's
not what you meant.

I should just check here
too that prawns as we know them in the UK are the same as US prawns as I
seem to remember reading somewhere that you call shrimps prawns or vice
versa.

In California, very large shrimp are called prawns. (Not sure of the rest
of the US - I never heard the term before coming to CA.) However, I'm
thinking of making this recipe with chicken instead. I'm not a big seafood
eater, plus they're a bit too pricey for me right now.

I'll post when I've tried it! Yum!

It should work fine with cubed chicken breast, you'll just have to fry it
first. There isn't much difference here in the price of prawns and chicken
breast, they are both expensive, All meat is expensive here and fish is
extortionate.(sp?)

Tweed