Bosley Can TALK!

Old April 19th 06, 03:02 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

Default Asparagus (WAS: Bosley Can TALK!)

"jmcquown" wrote in message
Bill Stock wrote:
wrote in message
ups.com...
No kidding. Except no one else was around to hear it except me.
Now I know what that sounds like :-)

Everyone's been so damn nice to you all day, it's been killing me!

Your cat is not talking to you Sherry, so take your Meds.

LOL Mine talks to me!

Now. Can we get a good Asparagus recipe Jill, I've got a new found
love for the stuff.

Sorry, you have to insult me first
Asparagus is great roasted or grilled. Just drizzle with a little olive
oil
(or the oil of your choice, except for motor oil or baby oil, of course!).
Sprinkle lightly with a little salt & pepper.

For the grill, I like Reynold's nifty perforated aluminium grill sheets so
you don't have to worry about stuff like asparagus falling through the
grates. (It's good for fish that gets extra flaky, too.) Whether you
grill
it or roast it in the oven, you want a fairly high, constant heat and only
cook it until it turns a bright green and is tender-crisp (although I like
mine a little softer so I watch it carefully for a couple of extra
minutes).

Never heard of those Reynold's sheets. Roasted sounds good though.

I recently ran across a recipe for Asparagus Au Gratin. Essentially you
lay
the snapped asparagus spears lengthwise in a small baking dish. Prepare a
medium white sauce: 3 Tbs. butter, melted; stir in 2-3 Tbs. flour seasoned
with salt & pepper until you have a smooth paste. Add 1 cup milk or light
cream and stir over medium heat until the sauce thickens. Pour this over
the asparagus. At this point you can choose your cheese. The recipe
called
for finely shredded cheddar. Use your favourite cheese but make sure it's
good melting cheese. Sprinkle lightly with buttered breadcrumbs and bake
at
350 about 20-25 minutes until the top is lightly browned and the sauce is
bubbly.

I saw one the other day for Asparagus wrapped in thinly sliced Mozzarella
and Prosciotto (sp). I think they steamed it first though. That's what got
me thinking about it. I just ened up steaming mine and putting Hollandaise
sauce on it. Not bad, but a little limp.

There's cream of asparagus soup; or many asian soup recipes call for
asparagus tips. The snapped-off tough stems are good for adding when
making
vegetable stock; I keep a bag of fresh veggie "discards" (including tough
broccoli stems, bits of bell pepper - sans seeds - that small wedge of
onion
that just won't get used, etc.) in the freezer for just this purpose.

My Grandmother made Asparagus soup, which I liked. But I was never crazy
about the fresh stuff.

Yeah I saw your Lamb surprise (or whatever) last week where you talked about
saving the stems. So I froze mine too.

Did this help at all?

Jill

Yes, as always.

Old April 19th 06, 04:13 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

"jmcquown" wrote in message
Bill Stock wrote:
wrote in message
[...]

The au gratin sounds so good. We are just starting to get really nice
asparagus. I like to blanche it and serve it cold with oil and garlic or an
Italian dressing.

Jo

Old April 19th 06, 07:03 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

Try sauce maltaise. It's just hollandaise made with orange instead of
lemon, but it's truly yummy on lightly steamed fresh green veggies,
including asparagus. Find a good hollandaise recipe and use the same
proportions and techniques.

A light curry sauce is good too...

-- Emc^2 (who shared Monday's chicken curry with Montgomery, but
doesn't think he'd like the asparagus...)

Old April 19th 06, 11:28 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

wrote in message
oups.com...
Try sauce maltaise. It's just hollandaise made with orange instead of
lemon, but it's truly yummy on lightly steamed fresh green veggies,
including asparagus. Find a good hollandaise recipe and use the same
proportions and techniques.

A light curry sauce is good too...

-- Emc^2 (who shared Monday's chicken curry with Montgomery, but
doesn't think he'd like the asparagus...)

Our first cat Sam loved asparagus and strawberries. For his whole life, if
we had asparagus, he got the very tips.

Jo

Old April 20th 06, 07:36 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

Jo Firey wrote:
"jmcquown" wrote in message
Bill Stock wrote:
wrote in message
ups.com...
No kidding. Except no one else was around to hear it except me.
Now I know what that sounds like :-)

Everyone's been so damn nice to you all day, it's been killing me!

Now. Can we get a good Asparagus recipe Jill, I've got a new found
love for the stuff.

I recently ran across a recipe for Asparagus Au Gratin. Essentially
you lay
the snapped asparagus spears lengthwise in a small baking dish.
Prepare a medium white sauce: 3 Tbs. butter, melted; stir in 2-3
Tbs. flour seasoned with salt & pepper until you have a smooth
paste. Add 1 cup milk or light cream and stir over medium heat
until the sauce thickens. Pour this over the asparagus. At this
point you can choose your cheese. The recipe called
for finely shredded cheddar. Use your favourite cheese but make
sure it's a
good melting cheese. Sprinkle lightly with buttered breadcrumbs and
bake at
350 about 20-25 minutes until the top is lightly browned and the
sauce is bubbly.

The au gratin sounds so good. We are just starting to get really nice
asparagus. I like to blanche it and serve it cold with oil and
garlic or an Italian dressing.

Jo

Jo, if you like brussels sprouts try some fresh ones done au gratin like
this. You'll want to split them and steam them briefly, first. The proceed
with the recipe as I stated above. I've done this many times and most
people who say they hate brussels sprouts don't even know they are eating
brussels sprouts! It's a lovely dish.

Jill