Lunch with Bev!

Old August 31st 04, 01:40 AM
Yoj

Default Lunch with Bev!

I had a delightful time with Bev, her husband John and her cousin Bea.
The cousin is 84 years old, and I has a delightful sense of humor. It
is obvious that she is not content to sit around and be a little old
lady. She has a little trouble with her hearing, and won't drive on the
freeway, but she manages quite well. She lives in a very nice house
which is full of beautiful things her husband made. Many of them are
wood - chairs, tables, etc., but she also has a beautiful gold cross on
a chain. Her husband had several gold crowns, and when he had to have
his teeth out, he melted down the gold, made a mold, and made her that
beautiful cross. It reminded me of my father and his resourcefulness
and creativity. Her husband died about five years ago.

Bev gave me a little Maori doll and a lamb - well, not really a lamb,
but its baa. It's a little plastic box thingy. When you press on the
top of it, it cuts loose with a realistic baa. We had a nice lunch at a
coffee shop, and then went back to her cousin's house, and Bev and I
talked some more. John took a nap and Bea went off somewhere. I was
enjoying myself so much I forgot to look at the time. When I did look,
it was 4:00, and I knew I had to get home, a client had said she'd be
here "after 5:00." I thought the traffic would be really bad, but there
was only one spot for a couple of miles where it was terribly slow. The
rest of the time it moved along, and I was home before 5:00.

I have met a number of people from the various newsgroups I subscribe
to. Virtually every time it has been a sheer delight. Today certainly
hasn't changed that record.

Joy

Old August 31st 04, 03:05 AM
EvelynVogtGamble(Divamanque)

Yoj wrote:

[...]

I was tempted to deal myself in, when you said you were going to have
lunch with her, but I figured that by the time I read your e-mail this
morning, it was probably too late to arrange it. There seem to be quite
a few of us living in the L.A. area - maybe we should talk about an rpca
get-together, somewhere more or less equidistant? Some of the New York
City residents in my opera newsgroup have an occasional luncheon or even
a barbcue at someone's home.

Old August 31st 04, 04:42 AM
Marina

"Yoj" wrote
I had a delightful time with Bev, her husband John and her cousin Bea.

Glad to hear you had a good time. I'm so jealous! I hope you took We Met
pictures.

--
Marina, Frank and Nikki

Old August 31st 04, 05:07 AM
Tanada

Yoj wrote:

I have met a number of people from the various newsgroups I subscribe
to. Virtually every time it has been a sheer delight. Today certainly
hasn't changed that record.

I agree Joy. Everyone we've met from the group has been fantastic. I
can't wait to get us together at Toad Suck, Arkansas next year.

Pam S.

Old August 31st 04, 06:59 AM
Yoj

Yoj wrote:

[...]

I think that is a great idea! My schedule is usually pretty open,
unless I'm driving a cancer patient. I'm a volunteer driver for the
American Cancer Society, and take someone to an appointment about once a
week. I'm retired, so I can usually arrange to be free at almost any
other time.

I wish you could have joined us. I know you'd have enjoyed it too. I
didn't have your phone number or I'd have called you after we set it up.
Maybe next time.

Joy

Old August 31st 04, 07:00 AM
Yoj

"Marina" wrote in message

"Yoj" wrote
I had a delightful time with Bev, her husband John and her cousin

Bea.

Glad to hear you had a good time. I'm so jealous! I hope you took We

Met
pictures.

--
Marina, Frank and Nikki

I forgot to take my camera, but fortunately, Bev took some pictures.
She and John were quite overwhelmed with the size of the portions of
food served in restaurants, so Bev wanted John to take a picture of the
food on the table at lunch. When he was doing that, a young man sitting
nearby volunteered to take a picture of the four of us at the table, so
there is one photo of that.

Joy