Feline Pine cat litter - how best to transition?

Old March 24th 04, 02:06 PM
kaeli

Default Feline Pine cat litter - how best to transition?

Hey all,

I'm wanting to switch cat litters to that Feline Pine because of Rowan's
being so sensitive to the dust from conventional litter these days.
The thing is, they all despise the texture of the FP. I did what the bag
said and put one inch on the bottom of the pan and 3 inches of their
regular litter on top, but as soon as they start digging and feel the
pellets, they leave the box and go to their other box (I only put a few
pellets in the other box for the scent). I'm afraid to put any more in
the other box - what if they boycott the boxes and pee on my floor?!
So, right now, they have one box with an inch of FP in it and normal
litter on top, and one box with mostly normal litter and about a handful
of FP pellets. They are boycotting the one with an inch of FP in it.

Any suggestions from users of this litter? This is only the third day -
will they get used to it? Should I decrease the amount of FP in the box
so they use it more and increase it more gradually than the bag said?

Is there a different litter with NO dust that isn't hard pellets or at
least smaller, finer pellets? I looked at Sweatscoop, but it said "less
dust" - I'm looking for NO dust. My only concern is the dust, so all
suggestions appreciated (it does need to be available at one of the
local pet stores - I have Petsmart, Petco, and Pet Supplies Plus here).

~kaeli~
Kill one man and you are a murderer. Kill millions and you
are a conqueror. Kill everyone and you are God.
http://www.ipwebdesign.net/wildAtHeart
http://www.ipwebdesign.net/kaelisSpace

Old March 24th 04, 02:59 PM

The thing is, they all despise the texture
of the FP.

If they hate the texture, no amount of convincing will make them want to
the use it. The last thing you want to have happen is to have the
litterbox be a source of contention in a multicat cat household and if
they don't like the litter and that's their only option in the boxes
they will likely start urinating elsewhere. There are other non-clay
litters you could try that your cats would like the texture of. Years
ago I switched form clay litter to World's Best Cat Litter, which is
made of corn. There is barely any dust, the texture is soft and sandy
and the cats transitioned with no problems. You may want to try this
instead. Swheat Scoop is another less dusty litter, but that one will
stick to the sides of the pan like cement unless you spray vegetable oil
on the sides (ick) and you have to keep the level pretty deep to make
sure it doesn't stick to the bottom. The WBCL is much easier to deal
with.

Megan

nothing."

-Edmund Burke

Learn The TRUTH About Declawing
http://www.stopdeclaw.com

Zuzu's Cats Photo Album:
http://www.PictureTrail.com/zuzu22

way."

- W.H. Murray

Old March 24th 04, 03:45 PM
kaeli

In article , zuzu22
@webtv.net enlightened us with...
The thing is, they all despise the texture
of the FP.

If they hate the texture, no amount of convincing will make them want to
the use it. The last thing you want to have happen is to have the
litterbox be a source of contention in a multicat cat household and if
they don't like the litter and that's their only option in the boxes
they will likely start urinating elsewhere.

That's exactly what I'm afraid of, which was why I left one box pretty
much alone.

There are other non-clay
litters you could try that your cats would like the texture of. Years
ago I switched form clay litter to World's Best Cat Litter, which is
made of corn. There is barely any dust, the texture is soft and sandy
and the cats transitioned with no problems. You may want to try this
instead.

I think I will - thanks.
It has to be better than the clay. The clay has been irritating Rowan a
lot lately and even the low-dust kind makes her all sneezy for two days
after I change the box or add litter to it. She's had a hard time with
her recurring URI and I don't want to push my luck. Or hers.

Swheat Scoop is another less dusty litter, but that one will
stick to the sides of the pan like cement unless you spray vegetable oil
on the sides (ick)

Ewww. Thanks for the warning on that one.

~kaeli~
Press any key...NO, NO, NO, NOT THAT ONE!!!!!!

Old March 24th 04, 08:53 PM
Steve G

kaeli wrote in message . ..
(...)
The thing is, they all despise the texture of the FP.

That's familiar.

(...)

Any suggestions from users of this litter?

Yes, I suggest not using it. I was a user of it briefly (well, my cats
were - I was quite happy to **** in it meself, like), but I had
similar problems to you. I suspect that the smell of FP is something
else that counts against it, as well as the texture.

Is there a different litter with NO dust that isn't hard pellets or at
least smaller, finer pellets?

I'm using WBCL and one of the silica crystal litters (I forget which).
I'm impressed with the latter; there's no dust at all and it tracks by
far the least of all litters I've tried. I was worried that my cats
would hate the texture (esp. after my attempts to use feline pine),
but they prefer it to WBCL.

WBCL is sort of OK. It's not dusty, but it is cornflowery. I find
various floury pawprints all over the place. On the bonus side, if you
need to thicken a sauce you can just dibble your cats paws in the
liquid and bob's your uncle.

I looked at Sweatscoop, but it said "less
dust" - I'm looking for NO dust. My only concern is the dust, so all
suggestions appreciated (it does need to be available at one of the
local pet stores - I have Petsmart, Petco, and Pet Supplies Plus here).

Swheatscoop is sort of OK, sort of. It's like WBCL but with the added
'benefit' that it epoxies itself to the litterbox so that you need to
get the bench grinder out, come litter change day.

HTH,
Steve.