Feral cats _Evolution_ by Stephen Baxter

Old April 11th 04, 04:22 PM
Cal

"CaptCook" wrote in message
I have been told several times that feral cats are such a problem in
the Dakotas that they are supposed to be destroyed if some specified
distance from a building. They have caused great destruction in
Hawaii according to conservationists. There is no danger of cats
becoming endangered. And no excuse for allowing them outside. That
being said, my pet of preference is a cat.

A similar situation occurs on Ascension Island in the South Atlantic. There
were no real indiginous ground based predators on the island, which forms
the breeding grounds for large numbers of seabirds many of which nest on
open rocky beaches. The introduced cat population often decimates these
colonies by killing large numbers of flightless chicks,often not even eating
them. They also occasionally attack baby turtles as they hatch on the
beaches, though this is less common (often due to people spectating).

When I lived there for a time, people were allowed to own pet cats as long
as they were spayed. Attempts to trap and humanely kill the feral population
were also undertaken, but these were IMO rather ineffective (a large number
of people were very opposed to shooting or poisoning). There was also
another problem that occured as a side affect, and involved another human
introduced species - rats. As the feral cat population reduced, the numbers
of rats increased and these also preyed on the seabirds, particularly their
eggs. AFAIK a suitable solution has not been found, and may not even be
possible.

--
Cal

Old April 11th 04, 04:49 PM
Bertil Jonell

In rec.arts.sf.written Peter D. Tillman wrote:
: Could be worse. When my parents lived in Kenya, they had friends whose
: dog slept at the foot of their bed. Until the night when a leopard came
: through the (unscreened) bedroom window, grabbed the dog, jumped back
: out. While the couple were in bed, watching in horror.

That's the 'other way' a pet can protect the family: by being easier prey.

: Cheers -- Pete Tillman

-bertil-
--
"It can be shown that for any nutty theory, beyond-the-fringe political view or
strange religion there exists a proponent on the Net. The proof is left as an

Old April 11th 04, 06:23 PM
Peter D. Tillman

In article ,
Bertil Jonell wrote:

In rec.arts.sf.written Peter D. Tillman wrote:
: Could be worse. When my parents lived in Kenya, they had friends whose
: dog slept at the foot of their bed. Until the night when a leopard came
: through the (unscreened) bedroom window, grabbed the dog, jumped back
: out. While the couple were in bed, watching in horror.

That's the 'other way' a pet can protect the family: by being easier prey.

True enough. Though adult humans are rather large prey for leopards.
Infants or small children, now -- well, what are 'chow dogs' for?
G,D &R

Cheers -- Pete Tillman
--
Q: What can you do with a leopard with three balls?
A: Walk him and pitch to the antelope.

Old April 11th 04, 08:39 PM
Lorenzo L. Love

Bertil Jonell wrote:
In rec.arts.sf.written Peter D. Tillman wrote:
: Could be worse. When my parents lived in Kenya, they had friends whose
: dog slept at the foot of their bed. Until the night when a leopard came
: through the (unscreened) bedroom window, grabbed the dog, jumped back
: out. While the couple were in bed, watching in horror.

That's the 'other way' a pet can protect the family: by being easier prey.

: Cheers -- Pete Tillman

-bertil-

For another method of using cats as weapons see:
http://home.thegrid.net/~lllove/pliocats.htm

Lorenzo L. Love
http://home.thegrid.net/~lllove

"Some people say that cats are sneaky, evil, and cruel.
True, and they have many other fine qualities as well."
Missy Dizick

Old April 11th 04, 09:04 PM
Brenda W. Clough

John F. Eldredge wrote:

On Sat, 10 Apr 2004 21:39:56 -0400, "Brenda W. Clough"
wrote:

In the larger pet catalogues they're selling cat strollers.
Essentially a cat cage, mounted on wheels with a stroller handle.
So you can take kitty for an airing, and he doesn't have to even
set paw to ground.

Some cats might enjoy this, but I suspect that most of them would be
saying "Me Out! Me Out! Me Out Nowwwww!" until you got back to the
house.

It does sound terribly effete and decadent. My lot would not put up
with it for one minute, but we live on a very quiet street and they have
been going outdoors since kittenhood.

Brenda

--
---------
Brenda W. Clough

Recent short fiction: PARADOX, Autumn 2003
http://home.nyc.rr.com/paradoxmag//index.html

Upcoming short fiction in FIRST HEROES (TOR, May '04)
http://members.aol.com/wenamun/firstheroes.html

Old April 11th 04, 09:04 PM
Brenda W. Clough

[...]

"The CarMax of Cats" (nice story) CajunPrincess Cat anecdotes 3 March 30th 04 06:10 AM
2 ferals StocksRusĀ® Cat anecdotes 47 March 2nd 04 10:07 AM
sunny day=happy cats John Biltz Cat anecdotes 1 November 15th 03 06:14 AM
The cats of the Blue Cave badwilson Cat anecdotes 12 September 29th 03 05:25 PM