It's coronavirus

Old October 14th 09, 10:06 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
jmc

Default It's coronavirus

Suddenly, without warning, Phil P. exclaimed (10/13/2009 12:57 PM):
"John Ross Mc Master" wrote in message
On Tue, 13 Oct 2009 00:43:33 -0400, "Phil P."
wrote:

"John Ross Mc Master" wrote in message
It hit them all at once. It could become FIP which is fatal. I must
have tracked it in somehow.
Most cats are infected with FCoV at some point in their lives because it
spreads so easily. You don't even have to be near an infected cat to

tract
it in to your home. But I wouldn't worry about FIP if I were you.

First off- just because your cats are FCoV antibody-positive (I'm

assuming
your vet ran a ViraCHEK/CV for antibodies to FCoV), that doesn't mean

FCoV
is causing your cats' clinical signs. Millions of cats are FCoV
antibody-positive and completely asymptomatic. If you want to know if

your
cats have an active FCoV infection, you have to run paired antibody tests
and see if the titers are rising. A single test doesn't mean anything

more
than your cats were exposed to FCoV at some point in their lives. If you

got
one of your cats from a shelter or breeder the cat is most likely FCoV
positive and could have infected the others. But most FCoV infections are
subclinical and you would never know the cat was positive unless you

tested
for it. A "bad" FCoV infection causes enteritis - but that's about it in
the vast majority of cases.

How are they doing?

Phil

The girls are eating now and the older boys are being forcefed. One of
the boys had a bowel movement!

They were constipated? The primary clinical sign of FCoV infection is
diarrhea. I don't think FCoV is the problem.

Phil

Since he said they weren't eating, I'm wondering if it isn't
constipation, but simply nothing to eliminate?

jmc
Old October 14th 09, 10:14 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
John Ross Mc Master

wrote:

[...]

I was syringing all sorts of stuff down their throats. The cats have
all had bowel movents in the last 24 hours! Even Archie has started
eating some stuff on his own. I'm discontinuing the appetite
stimulants because they are hard on the liver.
I think they are getting better, almost certain.