Under the ice

Old September 13th 17, 02:20 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.community
Community Kitties[_3_]

Default Internal note

On 2017-09-11 23:56:59 +0000, cshenk said:

Sundance and/or Rebecca wrote in rec.pets.cats.community:

We duz need sumplace whare we kan see da sky, so dat we kan see da
rainbow brij.

Rebecca

Yup, but there was one where a balcony was used? Anyways, we have one
with an open top. I'll revise to a clear ice top they can see though
so they aren't all freezing (grin). WE can stage at the other spot (if
diferent) and then move to the open one just like we've moved into/out
of caves and such.

Carol

[Fernando happens to overhear the human converstation]

F: Ackchooly, tht's not an issue. Dere's a feature I hafen't shown anybody yet.

[Fernando speaks into a paw-held radio for a moment. A large fluffy
white kitty arrives a little later.]

I'd like to introduce you to Fiona. She's da chief engineer around here.

Fiona: Hihi! Ferrrnando says that ye'll be interrrrested in being able
to see the moon. That measn that ye'll need to be hearrring this story.

Since we're furry isolated here, we try to keep in contact with the
kitties that live at researrrch stations herrre in the Antarctic. The
Argentine station called San Martine is one of the closest, so we visit
with them the most often. Several yearrrs ago we had a group of
asplorer kitties travelling over the ice to San Martin when an
unexpected storm blew in. We had been expecting beautiful, clear
weather, but this storm brought Condition 1 - no visibility, high
winds, and wind chill below -73 degrees Celcius. Our team was halfway
between our place and San Martin when the storm hit. They were certain
that they were going to be carried off to the Rainbow Bridge, but all
of a sudden they heerd an unexpected noise - da noise of a catacopter!
A copter landed just feet from out kitties, so they dashed onboard.
Dere was a little orange tabby kitty at the controls, and a rather
portly tortie who rushed to bring our kitties blankies and warm tea.

Da catacopter lifted off in spite of the unbelievable weather, and the
pilot was able to keep control of the catacopter in spite of severe
turbulence. When they were about halfway back to our location they
heard a call over da radio - a team of scientists from the San Martin
station was a couple of miles from their base when dere SnowCat died.
Dey had no more food left and were very low on fuel. So da pilot of the
copter flew a search pattern around the San Martin station until her
found da SnowCat, den da tortie kitty lowered a steel cable to da
hoomins, who hooked it on to da SnowCat. Da catacopter slowly pulled da
SnowCat back to da San Martin station. When da copter landed, da
hoomins was astounded - dey had never seen a copter sized fur kitties,
and had no idea dat kitties could fly dem! But dey quickly learned, and
dey made everyone welcome. Once da storm had passed, da orange tabby an
da portly tortie flied out kitties back to us.

Da hoomins in da station later learned dat most of the udder Antarctic
stations had also been visiited by da catacopter. In fact, da Palmer,
McMudro, and Bernardo O'Higgins stations all haf plaques honoring doze
kitties for similar rescues. Da plaques honor Harri Roadcat and Amelia
T Cat fur dere daring rescues. And even today, any time a aircraft
using da "Roadcat" callsign gets special clearance from any station
around here.

Anyhow, once dey delivered our kitties safely home again, we gived dem
a special banquet to fank dem.Dey overheard me talking to Fernando
about a problem we was hafing - da roof of dis cavern here was starting
to melt through. During da summer season dat wouldn't be bad, but in da
winter it would be furry dangerous. But doze 2 brave kitties spended a
couple weeks wif me doing analysis, and getting da metal-working
kitties here to work on building some special parts. So now, we don't
haf to worry about da roof of da cavern melting. And we can now do
dis...

[Fiona scrapes frost from the face of a panel set into the wall nearby.
She leans close to the panel and a small laser scans her eye. A
paw-shaped outline lights up on the panel. Fiona presses her paw
against the outline, and a humming noise can be heard from overhead. As
everyone turns to look up, they see the roof of the cavern retracting!
With an iris-type movement, white panels slide over each other, and
soon the cavern is open to the sky.]

We usually keep da panels closed so dat our cavern doesn't show up on
da hoomin's satellite images, but we won't haf to worry about da next
one fur a while yet. So, will dis work for your need to be able to see
da sky an da moon?

Old September 21st 17, 12:29 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.community
cshenk

On 2017-09-11 23:56:59 +0000, cshenk said:

[...]

Daisy-chan catches this and really likes this!

"Fernando, wez needs Fiona to open da top on 5OCT17 a bit befur dark
then keep it open at night until a bit after sunrise. Can doo?"

[in minds eye, there is a thick very clear ice ceiling protected by
retractable covers. It's like looking out but without the wind. Thick
enough a penguin could dance on it with soft shoes to not mar the
surface.]

Old September 21st 17, 01:35 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.community
cshenk

Default Under the ice

Community Kitties wrote in rec.pets.cats.community:

As Fernando solves the problem with the ballroom, Daisy-chan and her 2
doggies work with the King Penguin to check the larder. They can
Cataport plenty of food in and will, but Local Kittahs rather like
Local fishies so Zoot and his friends go to play in the ocean and bring
back shares of their catches.

Zoot chimes up and asks if we have a Cataporter operator who can bring
in Antarctic kittahs for the event and if so, how much fish to catch?

Meantime, Iowna sniffs about for a podium and finding one, asks for
help to get it to the ballroom. She also snags a small but warm round
bed with 6 inch sides and a small pillow and plopps it beside the
podium.

Cash, the big goof is off playing with kittens by giving them rides on
his back down the slide. Daisy-chan grins at her happy brofur after
they solve the fishies issue and has a bigger bed pulled in for him to
the other side of the podium. While she reads, they will repeat in C/D
SL (cat, dog sign language) for those who are hearing impaired.
Old September 21st 17, 02:16 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.community
Sundance and/or Rebecca

[Two kitties enter the Antarctic ballroom. One is an elderly tabby girl who moves a little more slowly than she used to. Her companion is a Havana Brown mancat who seems concerned about her.]

Rebecca: I will be fine, Hercule. You go ahed an chek owt da akoostikz.

[Hercule nosetouches Rebecca and goes to check the area where his orchestra will be playing. Rebecca wanders around the ballroom that the Antarctic kitties have generously offered. There's room for an orchestra above the main stage. There is plenty of space for seating and dancing, with room for food tables at the back. While Rebecca is checking things out, Fernando approaches her.]

Fernando: Rebecca! I heard you were here. What do you think of our ballroom?

Rebecca: Itz bootiful, an perfeck fur da Jellicle Ball. Ize amazed at whut yoo kan do wif just ice an snow, an hab it stay frozen while still havin it warm enuf to be kumfurbul.

Fernando: Good, I'm glad you like it. Is there anything I can help you with?

Rebecca: No... no, fangu, it lukz like efurryfing iz in gud shape heer. If itz OK, I will sit heer an werk on myown openin remarkz.

Fernando: Certainly. You know where my office is, so just let me know if you need anything.
Old September 21st 17, 02:53 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.community
cshenk

[...]

Daisy-chan finishes setting up the podium and sees Rebecca. She snags
2 warmer kittah beds that heat the top but leave the bottom cold so as
to not melt the floor, and drags them over.

They curl up nice and warm and compare notes. They share ideas to make
the Jellicle Ball unique to this place yet maintain the kittah freedom
to all to add as they wish.

The others let them be as they match plans, while they fix up the room
with lots of warmer beds while leaving lots of dance room and a large
food area to the back.

Old September 21st 17, 01:12 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.community
Community Kitties[_3_]

Daisy-chan catches this and really likes this!

"Fernando, wez needs Fiona to open da top on 5OCT17 a bit befur dark
then keep it open at night until a bit after sunrise. Can doo?"

[in minds eye, there is a thick very clear ice ceiling protected by
retractable covers. It's like looking out but without the wind. Thick
enough a penguin could dance on it with soft shoes to not mar the
surface.]

Abso-purr-lutely! Da hoomin satellites will be out of range for the
most part, and we can arrange for a high cloud cover to obscure the
view of those few that will be in range. An da weather forecast for
that evening is nice and clear.

Fiona