Catfood - Sheba ??

Old July 27th 13, 12:36 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
jmcquown[_2_]

Default Catfood - Sheba ??

"jmcquown" wrote in message
her morning snack.

BTW, don't let anyone here tell you Sheba contains sugar. It would seem
the Sheba cat food sold in the UK is completely different from what is
available in the US.

Jill

It's produced just a few miiles away from me and exported to the US. I see
no reason to believe it's any different from that produced for the home
market. And it certainly does have sugar in, the can says so, otherwise
I'd let Boyfie have it.

Exported to the US? Mars, Inc. is a UK Company? According to the web
site they're based outside of Washington, DC, USA. McLean, Virginia, to
be exact. The son of one of the founders did live in the UK in the
1930's. They may still have a factory there, that's not unheard of.

The manufacturer replied to my e-mails promptly when I was concerned about
Chinese ingredients (after the death of US cats through melamine) so I am
very happy to mail them again to ask whether there is a difference between
UK Sheba and US Sheba, sugar-wise.
I suspect it will the same.

Tweed

All I can say is the ingredients on the cans I bought, and what they
list for ingredients on the Sheba.com web site don't indicate it
contains any form of sugar. I'd be interested to hear their reply.

Jill
Old July 27th 13, 02:29 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Bastette

Jack Campin wrote:

So the American Sheba does not contain sugar?

I've never found any indication Sheba brand contains sugar, anywhere.

I have a tray of the UK one right here - ingredients "meat and
animal derivatives, fish and fish derivatives, minerals". It's
expensive so ours only get it as a special treat.

It might not have sugar, but I'd be worried about the "derivatives".

--
Joyce

- Mommy loves you too my sweaty litter baby fire
- Ummm what mom?
- MY SWEET LITTLE BABY GIRL!! sorry honey!
-- damnyouautocorrect.com
Old July 28th 13, 12:29 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Cheryl[_3_]

On 7/26/2013 11:26 AM, JJ wrote:

I don't know much about Sheba, except that our supermarket does not have a
great variety, and it's just a few pennies less than FF. OTOH, it has a huge
variety of FF.

Anyone have any comment on Sheba -- good, bad, indifferent

Mine love the new Sheba too. A tip about pate food, don't mush it up in
the bowl. Just spoon out whatever you're feeding them and break it into
chunks with a fork or spoon. Make sure to spoon a little of the gravy
in the can over the chunks of food. Works for mine no matter what the
brand of pate food.

--
CAPSLOCK–Preventing Login Since 1980.
Old July 28th 13, 12:32 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Cheryl[_3_]

On 7/26/2013 5:55 PM, Jack Campin wrote:

I have a tray of the UK one right here - ingredients "meat and
animal derivatives, fish and fish derivatives, minerals". It's
expensive so ours only get it as a special treat.

If it's in the plastic tray, that's the old style, at least here (US). I
couldn't find the trays of Sheba for years. Then I guess they
reformulated and package in cans. I got a can in the mail with a
coupon, and my cats loved it. It doesn't look anything like the old
Sheba that was mostly packed in aspic.

--
CAPSLOCK–Preventing Login Since 1980.
Old July 28th 13, 01:24 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Jack Campin

[Sheba]
I have a tray of the UK one right here - ingredients "meat and
animal derivatives, fish and fish derivatives, minerals". It's
expensive so ours only get it as a special treat.

If it's in the plastic tray, that's the old style, at least here (US).

It's a fairly thick aluminium foil tray. I've never seen it in any
other packaging.

Old July 28th 13, 10:45 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Christina Websell

"Jack Campin" wrote in message
[Sheba]
I have a tray of the UK one right here - ingredients "meat and
animal derivatives, fish and fish derivatives, minerals". It's
expensive so ours only get it as a special treat.

If it's in the plastic tray, that's the old style, at least here (US).

It's a fairly thick aluminium foil tray. I've never seen it in any
other packaging.

I haven't seen it packed otherwise either, but if it doesn't have sugar in
( and I will look tomorrow again) I will apologise.
I never mind being wrong if I thought I was right!
When I go the supermarket again, I will examine Sheba and if it is free of
sugar, he can have it as a treat.
I have looked at all the treatie foods available and every one has "various
sugars" in.

He does not mind about it, tbh, he is more than happy with Whiskas which
does not have any sugar in and my vet recommends it.

Old July 28th 13, 11:06 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
jmcquown[_2_]

On 7/28/2013 8:24 AM, Jack Campin wrote:
[Sheba]
I have a tray of the UK one right here - ingredients "meat and
animal derivatives, fish and fish derivatives, minerals". It's
expensive so ours only get it as a special treat.

If it's in the plastic tray, that's the old style, at least here (US).

It's a fairly thick aluminium foil tray. I've never seen it in any
other packaging.

I've never seen that type of packaging. But then again I only started
seeing it in local (South Carolina, USA) stores this year. It's in
small tins, just like Fancy Feast. A few cents less expensive per can, too.

Jill
Old July 29th 13, 01:01 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
MaryL[_2_]

"Christina Websell" wrote in message

[...]

~~~~~~
I tried to read the list of ingredients on a can of Sheba when I was at the
grocery today, but the list was so long and in such tiny print that I could
not read it. I will need to take a magnifying glass next time. I really
don't like seeing such long lists, either--I like to see a list of
ingredients where I can understand what is included!!!

MaryL

Old July 29th 13, 01:22 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Jack Campin

[Sheba]
I have a tray of the UK one right here - ingredients "meat and
animal derivatives, fish and fish derivatives, minerals".

I tried to read the list of ingredients on a can of Sheba when
I was at the grocery today, but the list was so long and in
such tiny print that I could not read it. I will need to take
a magnifying glass next time. I really don't like seeing such
long lists, either--I like to see a list of ingredients where
I can understand what is included!!!

The one I have is pretty straightforward - it just adds to the
description I quoted "4% cod" and gives a list of exactly what
mineral salts are added as supplements (which is very good
information, better than most human food supplement packaging).

Sheba is made by Mars both in the UK and Ireland. I'd be very
surprised if it didn't have significant amounts of horse in it
a year ago as a result of the horsemeat-contamination scandal
that started in Ireland. (The same was probably true of more
downmarket brands of catfood). Some of that horsemeat contained
phenylbutazone, which is not good, but I don't think measured
levels ever got high enough to be detectably damaging to either
cats or humans.

BTW, the best magnifier you can get for reading fine print is an
old camera lens, 50mm standard or 35mm wide-angle, from some kind
of camera that had interchangeable lenses. You usually hold it
with the back of the lens facing the text. I use one in my work
when I need to examine old books really carefully. You can usually
pick one up in a flea market for next to nothing.

Old July 29th 13, 01:58 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Cheryl[_3_]

On 7/28/2013 8:22 PM, Jack Campin wrote:

BTW, the best magnifier you can get for reading fine print is an
old camera lens, 50mm standard or 35mm wide-angle, from some kind
of camera that had interchangeable lenses. You usually hold it
with the back of the lens facing the text. I use one in my work
when I need to examine old books really carefully. You can usually
pick one up in a flea market for next to nothing.

You just gave me an idea. I have a smartphone and an app called Out of
Milk. It can scan barcodes and give you information in addition to
adding it to your shopping list. I have to see if it can give me
ingredients of a can of something I have here already.

--
CAPSLOCK–Preventing Login Since 1980.