Disturbing Incident

Old September 19th 04, 06:44 PM
MacCandace

Default Disturbing Incident

Your shelter would rush a vet to the scene to take care of the animal? Or
send people out as fast as possible to get this cat some vet care?

I just want to put in a plug for the Arizona Humane Society (in Phoenix) which
allows me to answer "yes" to these 2 questions, at least. They have ambulances
(I can't remember how many but more than 1, I know) that will come and
transport injured animals. A few months ago, I had the unfortunate opportunity
to call them about an injured, neutered kitty we had been feeding for quite a
long time outside. She was very feral, we never touched her, and we could not
get her on the morning she showed up very obviously ill. She was very violent
when we tried to get her and got away from us under some bushes. I called them
and within half an hour they were at my house and netted her. Sadly, she was
not going to be treated but rather euthanized due to the severity of her
symptoms (they thought she appeared poisoned) but at least they came and came
quickly thereby preventing her from suffering for who knows how long on her
own. The tech said he would transport her directly to the shelter. It was not
a happy ending, in any way, but I am grateful to them for their existence.

She (Joey) used to go up on our roof all the time and would come down by
jumping on to an air conditioner and make a big thudding sound. She's the only
one of the outdoor cats we feed who did this. About 45 minutes after they took
her away, I heard the same thudding sound. I went out and looked and no one
was around so I'm hoping that was her sign that she was now in a better place.

Candace
(take the litter out before replying by e-mail)

See my cats:
http://photos.yahoo.com/maccandace

"One does not meet oneself until one catches the reflection from an eye other
than human." (Loren Eisely)

Old September 19th 04, 06:54 PM
MacCandace

I guess I could have answered "yes" to the question of whether the Az Humane
Society has life-sustaining equipment on board their ambulances and can treat
an animal in the field, too, which I did not know until reading this:

http://www.azhumane.org/services/rescue.shtml

The Arizona Humane Society maintains the only radio-equipped emergency
ambulance fleet in the Valley for sick and injured stray animals. Our ambulance
service helps more than 6,500 animals each year. Most of these animals are
brought back to our shelter, where they are examined and treated by our
veterinary staff. Occasionally, our Rescue Officers will pick up injured
wildlife and turn them over to a state or private wildlife rehabilitation
center.

Our Field Operations department responds to dozens of calls each day. Rescue
Officers are dispatched across the Valley to rescue many animals from dangerous
situations. We have retrieved dogs that have fallen into canals and cats that
have become entangled in fences. Our Rescue Officers are equipped with the
tools and knowledge to remove animals from crisis situations and transport them
to our Second Chance Animal Hospitalâ„¢ for life-saving veterinary care. With
the added resource of our Emergency Animal Techniciansâ„¢ (EAMTsâ„¢), we are
able to dispatch life-saving care directly to the field.

In September 2002, the AHS launched its Emergency Animal Medical Technician
(EAMT) program. Certified EAMTs can provide life-saving medical treatment to
sick, injured or abused animals in the field. These "animal paramedics" respond
to animal emergencies and remain in radio contact with a staff veterinarian.

There is no other program in Arizona that ensures this level of lifesaving care
for companion animals who are sick, injured, abused and neglected. While the
AHS has provided emergency ambulance service for decades, never before have we
had the capability, resources or specially trained staff to offer care in the
field – from wound treatment and pain management to cardiac life support,
fluid therapy and much, much more.

EAMTs are trained to handle all aspects of providing animal rescue, and
triaging animal victims regardless of the nature of their injuries. Simply put,
this type of program is necessary to meet the ongoing – and growing – need
for emergency assistance for animals who end up in cruel or otherwise traumatic
situations.

The AHS' EAMT program is endorsed by the Phoenix Police Department; the Phoenix
Fire Department; the Office of the State Fire Marshal; the Arizona Veterinary
Medical Association; and VTEC, the state’s leading provider of veterinary
technician education courses.

Old September 20th 04, 01:39 AM
Sherry

Your shelter would rush a vet to the scene to take care of the animal? Or
send people out as fast as possible to get this cat some vet care?

I just want to put in a plug for the Arizona Humane Society (in Phoenix)
which
allows me to answer "yes" to these 2 questions, at least. They have
ambulances
(I can't remember how many but more than 1, I know) that will come and
transport injured animals.

Way to go, Arizona Humane Society. That's a wonderful service. I don't think
there's an animal transport service here anywhere.

Sherry