Squirrel Friend Shock. Lil guy is alive

Old October 7th 05, 02:27 AM
Brian Link

Default Squirrel Friend Shock. Lil guy is alive

Okay, I feel really stupid now after getting all friggin worked up.

This morning was one of those mornings during mournings when you wake
up fine, then suddenly you remember the Horrible Thing that just
happened.

I went downstairs to start to work, and looked out the front window.

A small squirrel.

I hopped up and grabbed my bag of pistachios, then went into the front
yard. I crinkled the plastic, and sure enough he came hopping up to my
feet, waiting for his treat. If I could have hugged him without
getting squirrel teeth in my arm I would have.

So this guy is okay, and we've drained and removed our recycling tub.
Some little John Doe squirrel gave his life to teach us how to keep
his comrades safe.

I still can't believe it. The drowned squirrel seemed to be the right
size, but I think I just panicked and misjudged.

An Emily Litella moment. Sorry to be so dramatic.

BLink
Old October 7th 05, 02:43 AM
cybercat

"Brian Link" wrote:

I still can't believe it. The drowned squirrel seemed to be the right
size, but I think I just panicked and misjudged.

An Emily Litella moment. Sorry to be so dramatic.

Those damned squirrels all look alike, don't they?

Old October 7th 05, 02:50 AM
5cats

Brian Link wrote:

[...]

Well, that's good news about your little pal.

I was thinking, why not drill some holes in the bottom of the recycling
bin so it doesn't retain water?

Old October 7th 05, 03:02 AM
Candace

Brian Link wrote:

So this guy is okay, and we've drained and removed our recycling tub.
Some little John Doe squirrel gave his life to teach us how to keep
his comrades safe.

I still can't believe it. The drowned squirrel seemed to be the right
size, but I think I just panicked and misjudged.

An Emily Litella moment. Sorry to be so dramatic.

I'm glad your little friend is safe but...and sorry to also be
dramatic...still, one life of equal value was still lost...maybe not
equal value to you but a life is a life. It's just as sad, really.

Candace

Old October 7th 05, 03:09 AM
Glitter Ninja

Brian Link writes:

So this guy is okay, and we've drained and removed our recycling tub.
Some little John Doe squirrel gave his life to teach us how to keep
his comrades safe.

I still can't believe it. The drowned squirrel seemed to be the right
size, but I think I just panicked and misjudged.

Oh, that's kind of sweet, but sad for John Doe squirrel too. I'm
really glad your squirrel is OK though. I know how you feel -- we used
to have a baby squirrel that teased my cats mercilessly. He was so cute
and I took tons of pics of him. After a terrible storm with straight
line winds, we saw the baby squirrel didn't survive and was thrown out
of his tree.

Stacia

Old October 7th 05, 04:25 AM
Rebecca Root

On 2005-10-06 19:27:19 -0600, Brian Link said:

[...]

Hey, Brian. Glad your little guy is OK, but make sure he remembers to
"squirrel away" some of the nuts you're giving him, and not get to
complacent about the hand outs. When I was in graduate school at the
University of Texas, we'd literally see squirrels pounding on the glass
doors to the research library with their little squirrel fists during
spring break. It seems they were hungry with the students mostly gone,
and their only way to get food was to beg it off people. Your friend
has a long cold winter ahead and he needs some stuff saved up in his
hide away.

On the other hand, maybe he could move in :-) My last winter in
Minnesota, I had a chipmunk living in my house. My cat Thackeray
brought him in and then lost interest. The chipmunk liked it inside and
wouldn't leave even when he had a chance. So we just all coexited.

Old October 7th 05, 04:45 AM
Brian Link

On Thu, 6 Oct 2005 21:25:20 -0600, Rebecca Root

On 2005-10-06 19:27:19 -0600, Brian Link said:

[...]

Hm.. Becky the harpist?

BLink
Old October 7th 05, 05:42 AM
Charlie Wilkes

On Thu, 06 Oct 2005 20:27:19 -0500, Brian Link wrote:

[...]

Trap and cage it. Check with the zoo, but I don't think gray
squirrels resist captivity one bit if they are well fed and cared for.
They just need an exercise wheel like most rodents. I got bit by a
tame chipmunk as a kid and the animal had to be quarantined for a
month. It adapted easily and didn't seem to want to be released when
the time came.

I think a squirrel would be just the right mascot for your household.

Charlie
Old October 7th 05, 06:31 PM
Lumpy

"Diane" wrote in message
In article ,
Charlie Wilkes wrote:

Trap and cage it. Check with the zoo, but I don't think gray
squirrels resist captivity one bit if they are well fed and cared for.

The zoo people are going to tell you wild animals belong in the wild.
--

But .. would the zoo people at least feel hypocritical if indeed
they did?

Old October 7th 05, 10:20 PM
Charlie Wilkes

On Fri, 7 Oct 2005 13:31:22 -0400, "Lumpy" wrote:

"Diane" wrote in message
In article ,
Charlie Wilkes wrote:

Trap and cage it. Check with the zoo, but I don't think gray
squirrels resist captivity one bit if they are well fed and cared for.

The zoo people are going to tell you wild animals belong in the wild.
--

But .. would the zoo people at least feel hypocritical if indeed
they did?

You can't argue with a bumper-sticker mentality.

Charlie