Hair balls?

Old May 19th 10, 06:42 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
KenK

Default Hair balls?

"cshenk" wrote in
:

"KenK" wrote

Any other hairball treatments you've successfully tried if this
doesn't work? Preferably something I can put in her food; giving her
medications is
very difficult to say the least!

KenK, what works for mine and is gentle with no harm, is to add extra
fat to my cats diet. I've normally had up to 4 cats at a time for
many years and this works better for long term use than those tubes
(which are essentially seeming to me to be exlax for cats). Some cats
it doesn't work as well with if animal based fats but I've not had a
problem yet with a little olive oil added. It doesn't cause diarrhea
or any absorption problems but does seem to 'speed the hairball along'
so it becomes part of the kitty litter leavings ;-)

Do run this by your vet, especially if yours is allergy prone (a
situation I've never had).

Fats I have used: Rendered generally, chicken, pork, beef, fish oils,
olive oil, duck, and butter (melted and you make ghee which is
clarified butter).

Interesting. I've not seen this in any of the cat books. She doesn't like
fiber or pumpkin and tries her best to eat around them. But I suspect
she'd love olive oil (only oil I use). Pumpkin may be affecting her BMs
too. I'll know better after using it a few days, then stopping it.

How much oil do you use? Say 1/2 tsp. per ounce of food?

Old May 19th 10, 07:11 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
---MIKE---

KenK wrote:

I picked up a package of cat grass (uses
oats) at Walmart this morning and
started it. If she eats it I'll find a source
for whole oats and do my own.

I bought a 50 pound bag of oat seeds for $8.00 at a feed store. I use
lawn soil for the base and cover the seeds with Miracle Grow. The soil
costs more than the seed! I have four pots in various stages at all
times - two of them on the floor for the cats to nibble on.

---MIKE---
In the White Mountains of New Hampshire
(44° 15' N - Elevation 1580')

Old May 19th 10, 10:18 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
cshenk

"KenK" wrote
"cshenk" wrote

KenK, what works for mine and is gentle with no harm, is to add extra
fat to my cats diet.

Do run this by your vet, especially if yours is allergy prone (a
situation I've never had).

Fats I have used: Rendered generally, chicken, pork, beef, fish oils,
olive oil, duck, and butter (melted and you make ghee which is
clarified butter).

Interesting. I've not seen this in any of the cat books. She doesn't like
fiber or pumpkin and tries her best to eat around them. But I suspect
she'd love olive oil (only oil I use). Pumpkin may be affecting her BMs
too. I'll know better after using it a few days, then stopping it.

Yes, and I've seen the added fiber one listed. Mostly I was already adding
fiber and not getting effective levels so tried fat (was actually dealing
with some coat issues and thought that would help then found the furballs
went away).

How much oil do you use? Say 1/2 tsp. per ounce of food?

Yup! Also, forgot to mention but this is all 'clean fat' meaning it didn't
come off a salty spicy chicken being baked etc. Current Cat Daisy loves the
olive oil best of all (she's a bit touched in the head). Dog doesn't so
much like it so he'll get pork fat.

I do a lot of Crockpot cooking. A favored recipe is southern pulled BBQ.
You can slow roast it in the oven for 7-8 hours but it works just as well
overnight in a Crockpot. Real simple. Rendered fat for the pets is a side
product.

Place frozen pork shoulder (fat cap side up) in Crockpot (depending where
you are it may be called a slow cooker). Add nothing else. Turn on low and
walk away. Flip when you happen to think about it but not really needed.
Check after 12 hours. If it's trying to fall apart, it's ready. Carefully
remove meat and decant the juices. (Free fat and under it broth, no salt or
nasties added to mess with the pets). Add meat back in (deboning if
desired) and shred with 2 forks then add seasonings or BBQ sauce of choice.
Leave on low for up to 36 hours (can extend by fridging it at night if have
room). Freeze rest (with a larger family, there wont be any 'rest' to
freeze).

Hope you don't mind a recipe added but it's related to how to have lots of
cat (and dog) safe fat laying around. Just stick the liquids in a jar in the
fridge and you can as it congeals easily separate the broth out (the broth
will go bad if you don't but the fat alone will be fine in the fridge for a
very long time). I actually separate the 2 pretty much right away and
freeze the broth in 1/2 cup batches. Dog gets 1/2 cup minus cat portion of
3 TB or so for lunch 'noshe' which is a great way to get a cat to 'drink
more liquids'.

If any here have a Crockpot and want to learn some simple (and dirt cheap)
ways to make broths and stocks for pet feeding, let me know. In or case,
the extra fat is added to the nooner broth munchies the cat and dog both
get. Daisy prefers her fat still cold and fairly solid floating in her
broth which she laps up then licks the fat lump out of (olive oil will be
liquid of course). Cash prefers his be melted just barely but doesn't mind
a cold lump either.

Old May 20th 10, 05:45 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
KenK

"cshenk" wrote in
:

"KenK" wrote
"cshenk" wrote

[...]

Thanks much for all the info. So far the pumpkin seems to be working. But
olive oil would be a lot better - I always have some on hand. I'm going
to see what Google says about pumpkin and hairballs; like how long to
give it to her. I suspect a few days, then once every few weeks,
whatever. But trying the oil is very tempting. But her digestive system
has gotten so touchy in her old age (14) I'm leery of trying almost
anything.

Ken

Old May 20th 10, 11:17 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
cshenk

"KenK" wrote
"cshenk" wrote

KenK, what works for mine and is gentle with no harm, is to add
extra fat to my cats diet.

Do run this by your vet, especially if yours is allergy prone (a
situation I've never had).

Just to let you know, several over the years have done this and with the
exception of one allergy prone kitty (warned off olive oil) they've all come
back to tell me their vet said it's harmless. Most young ones say it's
possibly beneficial and will be good for their coats. Several elderly vets
apparently laughed and said 'thats what we used to do along with a dose of
cream before all these fancy foods came out'.

Best guess is it's a very old time remedy. Pre WWII at the least.

I do a lot of Crockpot cooking. A favored recipe is southern pulled
BBQ. You can slow roast it in the oven for 7-8 hours but it works just
as well overnight in a Crockpot. Real simple. Rendered fat for the
pets is a side product.

Oh and use of the oven that way (7-8 hours) will cost about 5$ in my area.
Crockpot, about 25cents a day.

(omitted recipe)

If any here have a Crockpot and want to learn some simple (and dirt
cheap) ways to make broths and stocks for pet feeding, let me know.
In our case, the extra fat is added to the nooner broth munchies the
cat and dog both get.

Thanks much for all the info.

No problem! Happy to bend your ear ;-)

So far the pumpkin seems to be working.

Thats good! Both of my pets are on a relatively high fiber diet so adding
more there doesnt 'fix' anything.

olive oil would be a lot better - I always have some on hand. I'm going
to see what Google says about pumpkin and hairballs; like how long to
give it to her. I suspect a few days, then once every few weeks,
whatever. But trying the oil is very tempting. But her digestive system
has gotten so touchy in her old age (14) I'm leery of trying almost
anything.

Very wise KenK! As long as it works, don't tweak it! If the pumpkin starts
to not work so well, perhaps rice may work. I've normally used oil with a
fairly high fiber diet but with some cats, the oil alone worked (they didn't
like fiber foods/stuff added).

How is she on drinking water? If having problems there, salt free broth
often works wonders. I use dashi (a fish stock I used to make fresh but the
boxed version is just as good and about 3cents a 3/4 cup serving make if you
get the 15lb box). Just boil water and add granules to taste. Takes very
little, around 1/4 ts per serving. Cats like it stronger at 1/2 ts. I've
always advised folks run this by their vet too and so far the feedback has
been 'great trick to get a cat to drink' and my own vet took to it for his
own cats. For my vet, it's a late night noshe for his kitties and he's
crockpotting chicken bones like I do for salt free broth. He freezes it in
3/4 cup portions which works for his tribe. They get the same boxed dashi
when he's too lazy to remember to defrost a batch of frozen chicken bone
broth in time.

Since I mentioned it and this one is almost totally cat related, to make a
bone stock on the cheap, you use what you'd normally be throwing out. Bake
your whole chicken (or duck or other poultry) however your normally do and
enjoy. Next step is much less expensive with a Crockpot but you can use the
stove top.

Ok, take the carcass and if you used any salt or msg on the outside (or a
seasoning with that) remove all skin and toss it. If you used just butter
and a modicum of 'greenery' you can add the skin to the pot. Next, break up
all the bones (shreds of meat left in fine) somewhat then fill pot with
enough water to cover. Feel free to add any normal stock veggies if you
plan to want to use some for your own cooking (carrots, celery, parsnips are
common) except onion and add no salt please. Turn Crockpot on low and go to
bed. It's ready in the morning but will be even better if you are too busy
in the morning to deal with it so just leave it on low while at work.
(obviously you would never stovetop unattended all night or all day but
crockpots do that just fine). Decant crock over a colander with a larger
pot below. Toss the carcass and any veggies you may have added then tuck
the broth in the fridge. You can remove any visible fat before doing this
if you like or let it congeal on it's own but warning, this batch will be
'consomme' meaning it's going to gel when cold. It's full of goodies for
cats and people who need glucosamine and more calcium. If you want to
defat, you'll have to check it carefully in the fridge and catch just the
point where the fat congeals and the rest hasn't turned to gel. I usually
don't bother to do more than defat what's obvious and easy before making up
little freezer packs sized to our needs. When we use them for 2foot foods,
we add salt and such as we rewarm them. I call it making free food you like
out of something you'd normally toss out. So, broth feeding my pets is easy
stuff and having a gallon or more of bone broth at the ready, is normal
here. Oh, spare freezers come in real handy for this!

arm pit hair Bridget[_5_] Cat anecdotes 3 January 31st 09 11:41 PM
Petromalt helping with hair balls but... James Egan Cat health & behaviour 4 May 19th 08 09:02 PM
Cat hair Pat Cat anecdotes 12 April 14th 07 10:08 PM
Hair loss Flycaster Cat health & behaviour 5 December 21st 04 08:14 PM
The hair battle - what do YOU do Christi Conley Cat health & behaviour 39 October 2nd 04 02:54 PM