How to tell the correct weight for a cat?

Old December 14th 06, 10:17 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Chris

Default How to tell the correct weight for a cat?

Is there a way to determine the correct weight for a cat?

This is a large long-haired cat, taken over as a stray.
The hair is so long that you can't get near enough to its body to see if
you can feel its ribs.

With humans you can use BMI - but is there a cat equivalent?

It weighs 6.1 kg - but has enormous paws - which makes me think it
probably should be big.

Is there a reliable way of knowing for certain?
--
Chris
Old December 14th 06, 01:30 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
[email protected]

Your vet should be able to tell you. My guy is approx 9lbs and the vet
said he is a bit overweight. I can feel his spine, but not his ribs.

Good Luck

Danielle

Old December 14th 06, 01:47 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Phil P.

"Chris" ] wrote in message
news
Is there a way to determine the correct weight for a cat?

This is a large long-haired cat, taken over as a stray.
The hair is so long that you can't get near enough to its body to see if
you can feel its ribs.

With humans you can use BMI - but is there a cat equivalent?

It weighs 6.1 kg - but has enormous paws - which makes me think it
probably should be big.

Is there a reliable way of knowing for certain?

See if this helps:

http://maxshouse.com/nutrition/Body_...stem-Chart.jpg

Phil

Old December 14th 06, 02:54 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
sheelagh

Phil P. wrote:

See if this helps:

http://maxshouse.com/nutrition/Body_...stem-Chart.jpg

Phil

Thanks Phil. Someone asked me the same question a few days, so I found
it very interesting.You are full of information you know!
S.

Old December 14th 06, 05:48 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
cybercat

"Chris" ] wrote in message
news
Is there a way to determine the correct weight for a cat?

This is a large long-haired cat, taken over as a stray.
The hair is so long that you can't get near enough to its body to see if
you can feel its ribs.

With humans you can use BMI - but is there a cat equivalent?

It weighs 6.1 kg - but has enormous paws - which makes me think it
probably should be big.

Is there a reliable way of knowing for certain?
--

Ask your vet to be sure. Also, to make sure he is not too thin,
when you pet his back, you should be able to feel his backbone

Old December 14th 06, 06:41 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Lynne

on Thu, 14 Dec 2006 16:48:25 GMT, "cybercat" wrote:

Ask your vet to be sure. Also, to make sure he is not too thin,
when you pet his back, you should be able to feel his backbone
but not the individual vertebrae.

Levi is WAY too skinny, despite eating like a pig (and definitely being
parasite free). I can SEE his vertibrae. Otherwise he looks great - very
bright eyes, soft, silky fur, tons of energy. Idiot vet had nothing to say
about it, good or bad. Levi hasn't seen the new vet, yet, but will in
early January.

He is about 5 months old, and I don't recall any of my other 3 males being
this thin ever. Is this a symptom of having FHV??

--
Lynne
Old December 14th 06, 06:45 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
cybercat

"Lynne" wrote in message
. 97.142...
on Thu, 14 Dec 2006 16:48:25 GMT, "cybercat" wrote:

Ask your vet to be sure. Also, to make sure he is not too thin,
when you pet his back, you should be able to feel his backbone
but not the individual vertebrae.

Levi is WAY too skinny, despite eating like a pig (and definitely being
parasite free). I can SEE his vertibrae. Otherwise he looks great - very
bright eyes, soft, silky fur, tons of energy. Idiot vet had nothing to
say
about it, good or bad. Levi hasn't seen the new vet, yet, but will in
early January.

He is about 5 months old, and I don't recall any of my other 3 males being
this thin ever. Is this a symptom of having FHV??

--

Oh, God, Lynne, I don't know, but don't even think that about Levi.
What exactly did Idiot Vet do?

Old December 14th 06, 07:13 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Lynne

on Thu, 14 Dec 2006 17:45:47 GMT, "cybercat" wrote:

Oh, God, Lynne, I don't know, but don't even think that about Levi.
What exactly did Idiot Vet do?

Well Levi does have FHV. Idiot vet just wanted to dose him with constant
rounds of antibiotics, which is *never* a good idea. Levi's outbreaks come
frequently, but also pass frequently and with no sign of infection in
months. So unless and until that changes, he is only getting L-lysine
supplements (and lots of suckling, hehe). Idiot vet agreed that Levi is
underweight, but said that since he is growing, looks so good (other than
being so thin) and has beyond normal energy, not to worry. I am not
worrying, except of course when I think about it...

--
Lynne
Old December 14th 06, 07:23 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
cybercat

"Lynne" wrote in message
. 97.142...
on Thu, 14 Dec 2006 17:45:47 GMT, "cybercat" wrote:

Oh, God, Lynne, I don't know, but don't even think that about Levi.
What exactly did Idiot Vet do?

Well Levi does have FHV.

Ohh, I had missed that for some reason. Poor baby.

Old December 14th 06, 08:04 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Lynne

Default FHV Question

I posted this in another thread, but thought I'd repost with the new
subject. Does FHV cause cats to be underweight?

on Thu, 14 Dec 2006 17:41:23 GMT, Lynne