Petromalt helping with hair balls but...

Old May 17th 08, 03:23 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
James Egan

Default Petromalt helping with hair balls but...

I've been given my car Petromalt for about 6 weeks, and it definitely has
reduced the frequency of vomiting. Initially she would just lick it up
off a spot on my desk, but she no longer seems interested. so, I take
some and smear it on her front leg, and she licks it off. although this
is and brushing is helping, she still vomits a LITTLE several times a
week. So I'm now looking for something to add to her wet food which will
help her pass the hair balls. Can anyone recommend a mineral oil based
product that could be added to her food?

-Thanks

Old May 17th 08, 05:55 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
cshenk

"James Egan" wrote

I've been given my car Petromalt for about 6 weeks, and it definitely has
reduced the frequency of vomiting. Initially she would just lick it up

I dislike that stuff. It pretty much acts like ex-lax and can be a bit
rough on the kitty long term.

Here's 2 things I use and I never seem to have any hairball activity at all.

1- 2 ts olive oil per feeding, most cats like this
2- 2 ts bacon fat or chicken fat, be sure it's sodium reduced bacon if using
bacon fat. (cats are sensitive to too much sodium if doing this long term).

You can use a little more oil or fat than that if you like and your kitty
takes to it. Try different fat additives (but avoid flavored oils, hot
chile oil obviously!) made for human consumption. Keep to the milder
flavors. I've heard many use just a little corn or soy based cooking oil.

Old May 18th 08, 11:18 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Buddy's Mom

I use Temptations for Hairballs. Comes in a foil package and are like
little treats. My cat loves them and they work really well.

Old May 18th 08, 11:29 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
---MIKE---

I always have oat grass available for them to nibble on. I seldom find
a hair ball even though Tiger is a long hair cat.

---MIKE---
In the White Mountains of New Hampshire
(44° 15' N - Elevation 1580')

Old May 19th 08, 09:02 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Rene S.

You can try using salmon oil capsules (sold for people). Squeeze one
onto her food a couple of times per week. Salmon oil is a fragile oil,
so don't buy the bottle of liquid--buy capsules as they keep better.
The liquid can go rancid quickly.