kittens

Old July 12th 04, 01:45 AM
formerly known as 'cat arranger'

dh?

"Wendy" wrote in message
:
: "Sharon Talbert" wrote in message
: . washington.edu...
:
: Wendy, the Campus Cats website has a blurb on socializing that might
help
: you. You've taken on a real project, though, with so many kittens! Are
: they all from the same litter?
:
: Step one, is get the kittens to a vet who is comfortable in dealing with
: fraidycats. They should be vaccinated and wormed at least, tested for
: FeLV if possible. If they are of sound health and weigh at least 2
: pounds, they are old enough to be sterilized as well.
:
: Step two, is catch the momcat and get her spayed. If she is also feral,
: hope she can be returned to the backyard as a mouser. Food and shelter
is
: the only compensation she would require.
:
: A vet visit for the kittens will also determine their age. A kitten as
: old as 12 weeks generally takes much more time to socialize (though
we've
: had good luck with kittens as old as 4 months). An 8-week kitten is
more
: likely to quickly turn around.
:
: Right now, Campus Cats has a 7-week kitten in foster care who put up a
: great front, hissing and spitting and trying to escape. She came in on
: Sunday and today she is snuggling in my arms, purring her brains out.
: She is going to her foster mother tonight, to continue her studies as a
: housecat, and I expect her to be ready for her new home in 1-2 weeks.
: Each animal is different, though, and must be evaluated as such.
:
: Read the article, Taming the Tiger, posted to the Campus Cats website.
It
: may help. You can also contact me at home:
:
: Good luck!
:
: Sharon Talbert
: Friends of Campus Cats
:
www.campuscats.org
:
: Well I guess these guys must be closer to 8 wks than 12 because they are
: coming along pretty well. The dh and I were away for the weekend and
kitties
: were left with my 24 yr. old son (still lives at home) to feed water and
pet
: them if they seemed inclined otherwise just talk to them and hang out
around
: them when he was home. We got home this morning and I needed to clean
their
: cage out. I was able to pick them up under their tummies to relocate them
in
: the cage while I swept out the bottom with no hissing and just a few "hey
: what's this lady doing" looks. Once I got the cage back into tip top shape
: decided to try picking them up and holding them if they didn't put up too
: much of a fuss. They all cooperated well enough to at least establish that
: we have three boys and three girls. One of them is super laid back and
ended
: up draped over my hand while I pet him. This is the same guy whose purr
: motor turned on while I was petting him under the chin on Friday. The gray
: and white little girl who took a few chunks out the dh when he caught them
: is the other one who is most relaxed being handled. There are two girls
who
: would prefer I bug off but are putting up with being handled. A few growls
: and a half baked hiss but my skin is intact. At this point I should be
able
: to get them into a carrier for the trip to the vet though. Of course I
: expect they will look on me with a little less favor after that trip but
it
: has to be done.
:
: W
:
:
:

Old July 12th 04, 12:28 PM
Wendy

Trap neuter release

"formerly known as 'cat arranger'" wrote
in message news6lIc.6038$i_3.4473@fed1read04...

TNR?

"Cat Protector" wrote in message
: Where are you located? As for the mother cat, hopefully it will be TNR.
That
: is the best thing you can do for ferals.
:
: --
: Panther TEK: Staying On Top Of All Your Computer Needs!
: www.members.cox.net/catprotector/panthertek
:
: Cat Galaxy: All Cats, All The Time!
: www.catgalaxymedia.com
: "Wendy" wrote in message
: ...
:
: "Cat Protector" wrote in message
: news:4a3Fc.41590$rh.24219@okepread02...
: I have heard that feral kittens are much easier to be amongst humans
: that
: the adults. You probably got them at a good time but I would ask a
: rescue
: group that deals with ferals for some tips. You said you moved them
but
: was
: the mother cat around?
:
: --
: No mom wasn't there when the dh snagged the kittens. I think they're
going
: to try to trap mom and get her spayed so she doesn't do this again.
:
: I've got a call into the rescue group but haven't heard back from them
: yet.
:
: W
: