advice would be appreciated. colitis ?

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old January 24th 08, 01:02 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
dragon

Default advice would be appreciated. colitis ?

I havea 4 year old neutered female cat who is otherwise healthy. On
Sunday morning she was caught under my kitchen table starting to try
and eat a blackbird. I removed the bird. Later in the day she
seemed a little lacklustre and on Monday morning she did not go out
as she normally would when I open the door (both my cats go and patrol
the gardens first thing) instead she lay on the bed and I
returned and she stayed with me for a while. Then she went to her
tray and seemed to produce some pretty soft and messy faeces. She
seemed very lifeless and it was very wet and messy around her anus.
I tried to wipe it with some kitchen towel but she was not
enthusiastic and would not let me. She tried to clean herself up by
licking it (yuk)
She spent the day lazing about and sleeping and ate almost nothing.
But in the evening she had made a small bit of progress. On tuesday
morning she wentoutside for some time, ansd was brighter, and indeed
very keen to eat. Although she was brighter she did not appear to be
much interested in grooming. I decided to take her to a vet. Near me
is a practice that is very basic and charges a small fee and have a
walk in hour (no appointment needed) I took her there and was
first in (thus avoiding a long wait with barking dog patients)

The vet examined and said he could find no abnormality and he said he
would gu=ive her his pick me up. I asked what it wass and he said it
would be vitamins and antibiotics. I refused the antibiotics as on
a previous occasion the intramuscular injection caused my other cat
not to be able to walk properly for over a day
and because it was far from clear after only a 24 hr or so illness
that infection was evident. Nonetheless the vitamin injection
seemed also to be applied the painful intramuscular way (large
needle into front shoulder area. ) The cat screamed, and when I
got her home rapidly developed shaking and trembling and staggering
about and clingy. After half an hour she was more competant on her
feet and steadily ambled to the bedroom where she jumpted onto the
bed and curled up for a sleep. I decided after some frantic phone
calls not to take her back to the vet (or the other vets I use)
and instead let her rest and closely observe her. In the evening she
joined us in the living room and rested quietly, then spent the night
on my bed with me, as usual.

I think that vet hates cats and is disrespectful of dogs. Other
people have told me that he has been brutal towards clients
animals. Thats another story but I thought his injection came close
to killing my cat and its only since that trauma that the tiny red
blood spots/mucus appeared in the litter tray

On Wednesday morning she was keen to go out and more normal, ate
plenty etc. But in the afternoon I noticed that on the litter tray
surface was some muvus and blood (the very tiniest amount.
Probably not enough to paint a fingernail. And about 3 hours
later I observed her do it again This time a little bit of faeces in
which was a tiny bit of blood and mucus.

Then at bedtime she left the bed used the litter tray and this
morning I could another small example. So several hours seem to be
between attempts to defecate

This morning (Thursday) she has gone out, ate etc but I think
she is lethargic and quiet (as throughout most of the last days)
So it seemed to have started dramatically on Monday and all her
elimination until wednesday 5pm seemed just softer than normal, now
there are tiny bright red spots/flecks of blood

I observe also a tendency to strain a bit at the litterbox She has
like a spasm does not cry out but it looks as though he colon thinks
there is something ti eliminate but there isnt.

So now the dilemma. A trip to the vets today ? A bright eyed
otherwise lacklustre creature that is eating.drinking and spending
some time outside as well as not hiding away inside. Should I rush to
a vet ? It will involve a real struggle to get her into the
carrier (can take 5 minutes of fighting ) Or shoukld I watch
and wait for another 24/48 hours.

She seemed keen for me to lie down on the bed and snuggle on my
chest. Last night for 2 hours in mid evening. I think that might be
that any soreness from colitus may be soothed by the warmth. Like
putting a hot water bottle on the tummy when poorly

Both my cats are insured, and so cost is not an issue

My reading indicates the greatest liklihood is colitis, unlikely to
be parasite related in the adult cat. More likely other causes./

I really wonder about that dead bird.

Any advice would be appreciated