Easy way to apply Cat ear and eye medicine??

Old November 22nd 09, 02:32 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Geri Dodd

Default Easy way to apply Cat ear and eye medicine??

My vet gave me this eye gel and liquid ear drops for my cat
but, she is a big squirmer. Anything coming close to her face she
makes a run for it. Ive been using the "Cat Burrito" technique with
wrapping a towel around her to try to contain her but that only works
for so long because she works her way out of it.

I have treats for her afterwards but it doesnt seem to make it easier
for the next time knowing she'll get a treat.

I know it'll be better as a two person job, but i only have myself.
Are there any other techniques to use to keep this from being such a
fight?
Old November 22nd 09, 02:56 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
jmc

Suddenly, without warning, Geri Dodd exclaimed (11/22/2009 9:32 AM):
My vet gave me this eye gel and liquid ear drops for my cat
but, she is a big squirmer. Anything coming close to her face she
makes a run for it. Ive been using the "Cat Burrito" technique with
wrapping a towel around her to try to contain her but that only works
for so long because she works her way out of it.

I have treats for her afterwards but it doesnt seem to make it easier
for the next time knowing she'll get a treat.

I know it'll be better as a two person job, but i only have myself.
Are there any other techniques to use to keep this from being such a
fight?

Look for something like this:

http://tinyurl.com/ykp4eeu

Not endorsing this particular one - couldn't find the one I was looking
for - but this is the general idea.

I never had luck with burritoing my first cat, a rawthuh large Maine
Coon cross (I think I needed bigger towels, lol), so I feel your pain.

jmc
Old November 22nd 09, 03:09 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Buddy's Mom

Get the cat to your level, not the cat's level. IE - put the cat on
the kitchen counter. You don't need the towel - that only makes it
worse.

Make sure you have a positive mind set. I think cats read minds!
Tell yourself and the kitty that you are going to do this.

Good luck!

Old November 26th 09, 11:52 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
[email protected]

On Nov 22, 6:32*am, Geri Dodd wrote:
My vet gave me this eye gel and liquid ear drops for my cat
but, she is a big squirmer. Anything coming close to her face she
makes a run for it. Ive been using the "Cat Burrito" technique with
wrapping a towel around her to try to contain her but that only works
for so long because she works her way out of it.

I have treats for her afterwards but it doesnt seem to make it easier
for the next time knowing she'll get a treat.

I know it'll be better as a two person job, but i only have myself.
Are there any other techniques to use to keep this from being such a
fight?

With my difficult cats (mainly a 16 pound unhappy solid muscle
ragdoll), I would put them in the lazy boy chair so that the chair
back and sides act as walls, giving less of an escape. I also got
everything ready in advance, so that I could make it fast.