Please welcome Nikki to our group

Old December 10th 13, 03:05 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
MaryL[_2_]

Default Please welcome Nikki to our group

"dgk" wrote in message ...

On Mon, 9 Dec 2013 18:37:06 -0000, "Christina Websell"
wrote:

"MaryL" wrote in message
I have adopted another kitty. This makes three, and will be my maximum.
Her name is Nikki--suggested by my sister for the Christmas season (St.
Nicholas). The president of our local Alley Cats Allies called me and
asked me to consider adopting her, and it just seemed "right." She was
rescued from a WalMart parking lot and was obviously very hungry when she
was found. The person I talked to from the rescue group found her about
three weeks ago, and she has already been checked out (healthy!) by the
vet, microchipped, spayed and received her shots. She is solid black,
about 16 to 20 weeks old and craves attention. She climbed into my lap
and
loved all over me. She now has a forever home, and I have a new furbaby
love. She has not yet met Duffy and Selina. That will come in a few
days,
but they were both waiting outside her door when I left the room.

MaryL

Boyfie says hello to Nikki and welcome.
Hope everything goes well with introductions. You will now be lucky for
adopting a black cat (they are considered lucky here) although I do know
you had Holly (black)
No cat is a bad colour IMO.
Boyfie hates black cats because he was severely bullied by one in his
youth,
so no chance of adopting a black one here.
I'd like to have another cat, but I don't think Boyfie would, tbh. After
KFC, he's used to being my main cat.
Tweed

Do you think that they really remember the other cat's colo(u)r? I
think they are much more swayed by smell. Of course, we'll never know
what they do or don't go by.

~~~~~~~
I would think they would be much more affected by scent or some other
characteristic rather than color. On the other hand, Holly used to bring me
a little red mouse every evening. I would hear this "moaning" sound, then
Holly would appear with the little red mouse and drop it at my feet. There
were 3 little mice in 3 colors in the package, but she always brought the
red mouse. This went on for years. When the mouse wore out, I found an
identical package still on sale (3 mice, suede-like cover) and bought it.
Once again, Holly always brought the red mouse. I also had a cat--years
ago--that was accidentally plastered into the wall when my parents had some
work done on their home. When we realized what had happened, my father cut
a hole so my cat could climb out. From then on, whenever that contractor
drove into our driveway (usually once or twice a year), my cat would
disappear. After several years, the man got a different truck, and my cat
stopped disappearing. So, he associated the event with the sound of the
truck instead of the man who had done the damage! Cats are amazing
creatures, and I think they have better memories than we often give them
credit for.

MaryL

Old December 10th 13, 09:53 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Christina Websell

wrote:

"MaryL" wrote in message
[...]

Yes, I do think that Boyfie remembers the colour of the cat that once made
his life a misery and even came into his own house to bully him some more.
He hates black cats and doesn't stop to ask questions if one is in his
garden, he just jumps on them and fights them.
He doesn't realise that The Enemy has moved away. As far as he's concerned
black cat = bad.
I've told the tale before about how the Enemy came into the house once too
often after Boyfriend. Kitty Farmcat was resting by the fire as befitted a
girl of her age. Well, she rose up and chased him up every wall of my
kitchen, got him outside, got on his back with all claws and then bit him
severely.
She was half his size. He never came back.

Tweed

Old December 11th 13, 04:51 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
dgk

On Tue, 10 Dec 2013 21:53:52 -0000, "Christina Websell"
wrote:

.. .
wrote:

"MaryL" wrote in message
[...]

They certainly remember bad situations. My backyard is one of them
since it's fenced in to keep my cats from straying but it isn't
sufficient to keep other critters out. So once in a while an enemy cat
gets into the yard and can't get out, although I do leave a part of
the fence open in case that happens. Once the enemy cat gets out,
sometimes after I go out there and it frantically runs around until it
finds the way out, they don't come back in, or at least they remember
where the opening is.

The funny thing is that some of those cats also visit the front of the
house and there I feed them. They must really wonder about me.
Old December 11th 13, 07:59 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Christina Websell

wrote:

"dgk" wrote in message
[...]

Boyfie will ignore most cats passing through his garden unless it is a black
cat and then it's war which was unfortunate for a little black girl. He
didn't wait to see if she was *that one that did it" he just jumped on her.
Yes, he knows the colour of the cat that bullied him when he was a young
boy and now he's older he can do it himself without KFC.
He doesn't know that the cat has moved away so every black cat he sees
reminds him of scared he was and now he is brave to fight one.

Old December 12th 13, 03:09 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
dgk

On Wed, 11 Dec 2013 19:59:15 -0000, "Christina Websell"
wrote:

.. .
wrote:

"dgk" wrote in message
[...]

That is pretty interesting. Obviously they have memories or we'd be
strangers every morning, but attacking every black cat is something
else.
Old December 13th 13, 02:39 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Takayuki

On Thu, 12 Dec 2013 10:09:05 -0500, dgk wrote:
That is pretty interesting. Obviously they have memories or we'd be
strangers every morning, but attacking every black cat is something
else.

I love that - a stranger every morning!
Old December 13th 13, 07:21 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Christina Websell

"Takayuki" wrote in message
On Thu, 12 Dec 2013 10:09:05 -0500, dgk wrote:
That is pretty interesting. Obviously they have memories or we'd be
strangers every morning, but attacking every black cat is something
else.

I love that - a stranger every morning!

Boyfie remembers *that* black cat that made his life a misery and he knows
what colour he was.
No black cats allowed in garden or house, he says so.
Pity, I'd like one myself.

It's Nikki's birthday Marina Cat anecdotes 12 August 18th 08 10:33 PM
This is a CAT group not a CHAT group BuZZard Cat health & behaviour 36 March 12th 05 03:37 AM
Nikki saw TED Marina Cat anecdotes 38 May 8th 04 09:20 AM
Pic: Nikki Marina Cat anecdotes 48 April 8th 04 09:00 PM
Nikki got me Marina Cat anecdotes 13 December 1st 03 03:17 AM