Cat TV for Persia

Old November 25th 13, 06:20 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
jmcquown[_2_]

Default Cat TV for Persia

For a short while, cat TV (the windows onto the patio) was very active
today. Must be due to the drop in temperature. I scattered some seed
and refilled the bird bath yesterday.

A while ago, Persia alerted me. She started making those chattery
noises. So I turned to look. There were huge blackbirds eating some
seed I had scattered. There were about 6 squirrels chasing each other
all over the patio. A couple of tufted titmice came to drink from the
birdbath and cadge some seed. Persia (and I) had a grand time watching
them.

Jill
Old November 26th 13, 02:18 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
jmcquown[_2_]

On 11/25/2013 4:36 PM, Judith Latham wrote:
In article ,
jmcquown wrote:
For a short while, cat TV (the windows onto the patio) was very active
today. Must be due to the drop in temperature. I scattered some seed
and refilled the bird bath yesterday.

A while ago, Persia alerted me. She started making those chattery
noises. So I turned to look. There were huge blackbirds eating some
seed I had scattered. There were about 6 squirrels chasing each other
all over the patio. A couple of tufted titmice came to drink from the
birdbath and cadge some seed. Persia (and I) had a grand time watching
them.

Jill

It sounds lovely. I wish I'd been there to see it.

Judith

It was a sight to see! Almost a small animal circus. The squirrels
were running and leaping around. The crows, well they were just very
big birds. The tufted titmice are like the Artful Dodger's of the bird
world. They can nick some seed in the midst of chaos. It was nice to
see Persia paying such rapt attention.

She alerted me to a couple of deer a few weeks ago. I figured she was
just chattering at birds but (being a good cat slave) I turned to look
anyway. Oh! Two white-tail deer standing by the patio. Hello!
Fawns, really. They still had some of their white spots. I wonder what
Persia thought those tall four-legged creatures were?

Jill
Old November 26th 13, 02:26 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Magic Mood Jeep[_3_]

jmcquown wrote:

[...]

Critter activity like that in our yard drives the d-things crazy!!! Annie loves to chase squirrels, the bad part is when she trees them, she leaps at the trunk squealing like someone is beating her (I keep waiting for a neighbor to call Animal Control for suspected animal abuse). We call all of them Timmies, because she comes to get us with that "Timmy fell down the well" look on her face whenever she wants to go chase them. Squirrels are Tree Timmies. Deer are Giant Timmies (they don't - or rather haven't yet - entered the fenced part of the yard). Rabbits are BunBun Timmies. Chipmunks are Tiny Timmies. Groundhogs are Fat Timmies. Raccoons are Bandit Timmies. Opossums are Grey Timmies, and they aren't fun because they don't play chase (the look on Annie's face when we let her out one evening and there was one 20 feet from the door (we didn't see it) and it wouldn't run was priceless. Annie was a good girl, though, she did a "leave it" and went inside when we told her, and I went out and got within 5 feet of that opossum before it waddled off). Oh, and Skunks are Stinky Timmies. Birds she pretty much ignores. Outdoor cats befuddle her, as she thinks one of ours 'got out' and she wants to herd it back in.
Old November 26th 13, 07:47 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Christina Websell

jmcquown wrote:

[...]

---------
I once bought a video that was supposed to amuse an indoor cat, in case
Boyfie got bored when I was out at work. I watched it myself, it was nice,
full of birdies and mousies, but I don't think he watched it at all.
I don't think he can see the TV, in the sense that he can understand the
pictures. Only two of my dogs got excited about what they could see on the
television. For Daisy it was bears and for Havoc it was wolves.
Both of them showed signs of knowing what they saw, their hackles went up
and they went behind the TV to search for them.
which is interesting as we don't have either here. Daisy used to go crazy
if she saw a polar bear on the telly. Ditto Havoc with wolves.
Boyfie either cannot see the TV (most likely) or he didn't like the video
;-)
I've stopped trying to amuse him with boxes, or videos, or cat toys,he
apparently can do it himself with the going out thing.
but I did try..

Tweed

Old November 27th 13, 02:09 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Bastette

Christina Websell wrote:

I once bought a video that was supposed to amuse an indoor cat, in case
Boyfie got bored when I was out at work. I watched it myself, it was nice,
full of birdies and mousies, but I don't think he watched it at all.
I don't think he can see the TV, in the sense that he can understand the
pictures. Only two of my dogs got excited about what they could see on the
television. For Daisy it was bears and for Havoc it was wolves.
Both of them showed signs of knowing what they saw, their hackles went up
and they went behind the TV to search for them.
which is interesting as we don't have either here. Daisy used to go crazy
if she saw a polar bear on the telly. Ditto Havoc with wolves.
Boyfie either cannot see the TV (most likely) or he didn't like the video
;-)

My cats never liked those videos, either, and they do watch TV on occasion.
They get most excited when there are cats on TV (of any species).

--
Joyce

He spent one-third of the time telling me about the musical he was writing about raccoons, one-third of the time talking about C++, and one-third of the time demonstrating the plot of Othello using the salt and pepper shakers.
-- A Treasury of the World's Worst Online Dating Stories
Old November 27th 13, 02:25 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
jmcquown[_2_]

On 11/26/2013 9:09 PM, Bastette wrote:
Christina Websell wrote:

[...]

Persia never pays attention to TV. I often think she wonders what I'm
doing when I'm watching it. What is mommy looking at? Then again, I
think the same thing about her when she just stares off into space for a
bit for no apparent reason.

Jill
Old December 3rd 13, 12:58 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Christina Websell

"Bastette" wrote in message
Christina Websell wrote:

[...]

As much as I think Boyfie is intelligent, he cannot see pictures on the Tv
screen. Very few of my dogs could either. Daisy whippet could and so could
her sister, Havoc. Get bears on the telly and that was one of them barking
and looking behind the TV and her sister was like that for wolves. Despite
having never seen either as they are Brits, they knew a dangerous thing
when they saw it, even on the telly ;-)
I find it interesting about whether animals can see TV images or see
themselves in mirrors. Boyfie cannot do TV but can see himself in a mirror.
However he thinks it's another cat not him. so the conclusion is that he's
just not as bright as I thought about modern things like televisions and
mirrors.
What he's great at (apart from rat patrol) is telling me how much he loves
me.

Old December 6th 13, 01:53 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Bastette

The Other Guy wrote:

On Tue, 3 Dec 2013 00:58:36 -0000, "Christina Websell"
wrote:

As much as I think Boyfie is intelligent, he cannot see pictures on the Tv
screen. Very few of my dogs could either.

Boyfie CAN see the pictures, he's just understands they're NOT real.
Probably because he can't smell anything from them.

I've had a few cats that would watch TV, or try to catch the mouse
cursor on the computer, but most don't care about things they can't
touch and smell.

Except for the red bug.

--
Joyce

May the great galactic kitten always purr you to sleep.
Old December 6th 13, 02:03 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Bastette

Christina Websell wrote:

themselves in mirrors. Boyfie cannot do TV but can see himself in a mirror.
However he thinks it's another cat not him. so the conclusion is that he's
just not as bright as I thought about modern things like televisions and
mirrors.

I sometimes wonder what cats do see when they appear to be watching TV.
Roxy and Smudge were both big TV fans. Smudge is gone now, and Roxy is
probably too old, or maybe her vision's not as good, to care much about
the images moving on the screen. However, I think cats can *see* the
movement, and some of the color, too. What they actually make of it depends
on the cat, though. And maybe the cat's age - when they're young enough
that anything could be a cat toy, they seem to respond more to the movement
and sound coming from the TV.

That said, I've never seen a cat get excited about birds and rodents on TV
(or videos designed for cat entertainment). But whenever there were kittens
mewing on TV, my cats used to watch avidly. If there was a leopard stalking
prey on TV, their ears would perk up and they'd watch. Nowadays, though, I'm
the only TV-watcher in the house.

As for mirrors, Roxy never cared about them, but even though Licky will be
11 next spring, he still gets into little battles with his image in the
mirror. He looks like a gerbil running on a wheel, with his front paws going
a mile a minute.

What he's great at (apart from rat patrol) is telling me how much he loves
me.

That's important!

Old December 13th 13, 05:01 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Jack Campin

I once bought a video that was supposed to amuse an indoor cat,
in case Boyfie got bored when I was out at work. I watched it
myself, it was nice, full of birdies and mousies, but I don't
think he watched it at all.

My cats never liked those videos, either, and they do watch TV
on occasion.
They get most excited when there are cats on TV (of any species).

Our lot went absolutely bananas over a CD of Birdsongs of the
British Isles. They were ordered alphabetically and I had to
take it off before getting through A, as the furries were about
to take the house apart to find the hidden birds. And Muriel used
to watch David Attenborough DVDs, drooling over the penguins and
kiwis.

Two of Marblecake's kittens went to a house near here where the
humans watch football. They seem to think footballers are small
and tasty.

I just tried a CD of Sounds of the Amazon Rainforest on our lot.
No reaction at all except that Chloe didn't like the thunderstorm.
They obviously don't perceive toucans and marmosets as food.