Thoughtless people are everywhere

Old December 11th 13, 04:24 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
jmcquown[_2_]

Default Thoughtless people are everywhere

I can't think of what to call people who simply move and leave their
pets behind. If you can't take care of them, call someone!

I got this email today from the woman who is charge of the Dataw Island
Feline Foundation:

"We have a situation that is very serious for a couple of cats on our
island. The story seems to be this: they were cared for by some former
residents and were left behind when the residents left. Now the new
people who live in the home have been very kindly caring for the cats,
but they no longer can. The cats have to find a new home immediately.
These cats are socialized and friendly, not feral. The picture does not
do them justice, obviously, with the gleaming eyes. They are good
looking and healthy. With all the traveling that we all are doing, this
is a terrible time of year to ask you to open your arms to these
creatures, but this is when they need us. If you want to talk about
adopting them, please contact Dale Martin at or me.
Please think quickly and act quickly. Their need is dire. It is the
giving season. Can you give them a home?"

I feel for those cats. I really do. No, I can't give them a home.
Persia wouldn't tolerate another cat, much less two. She's very much an
elderly only-cat.

But why do people just leave cats behind? How can they simply discard
them? Leave them in a house to be found? If they're too old to care
for them, I would think they'd call someone. Say hey, we can't do this
anymore. It puzzles me.

Jill
Old December 11th 13, 07:04 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Joy

"jmcquown" wrote in message
[...]

I don't understand it either. My heart cat, Nanki-Poo (RB) was one of
those. I got him at the shelter and was told he was one of several cats who
had been abandoned by the people who had taken care of them. It would break
my heart to have to give up one of my cats, but there is no way I could just
go off and leave them. In fact, this past summer my air conditioner quit.
Several years ago, when I had indoor-outdoor cats and my power was out for
30 hours, I spent the night at my daughter's house. However, my current
cats are indoor only, and there's no way I'd go off and be comfortable
myself while leaving them shut up in a too-hot house.

--
Joy

Red earth and blue sea
Ancient land of mystery
You call out to me.
-- Australia Haiku by Joy Gaylord

Old December 11th 13, 03:04 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
jmcquown[_2_]

On 12/11/2013 2:04 AM, Joy wrote:
"jmcquown" wrote in message
[...]

I hear ya, Joy. A couple or three years ago my AC quit. Naturally it
was a holiday weekend. I called the company that installed the unit.
They had to order the part! I was without AC for *four days*. Boy was
it hot! Schwartzie's mom said I was welcome to sleep over there. Now
how could I go off and leave Persia hot, miserable and all by herself?
I couldn't.

Jill
Old December 12th 13, 07:17 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
EvelynVogtGamble(Divamanque)

jmcquown wrote:

But why do people just leave cats behind? How can they simply discard
them? Leave them in a house to be found? If they're too old to care
for them, I would think they'd call someone. Say hey, we can't do this
anymore. It puzzles me.

Jill

Of course, in today's economy, sometimes it's a matter of foreclosure,
and having nowhere to move, but I have to agree with you. Your
four-footed companions are just as much members of the family as your
kids (although some people abandon those, too). I have a friend who has
a small farm in a resort area of Northern Minnesota. Every autumn she
falls heir to abandoned pets in her woods for whom she must find homes.
Some of the summer people get kittens and puppies for their kids to
play with during the summer, then leave them to fend for themselves when
it's time to return to the city, again. It's probably harder for the
dogs, since cats have not been domesticated for nearly as long, but
however enthusiastically cats may chase prey, unless they have been
TAUGHT to hunt, they seldom have the skills to catch their own dinner.
Old December 13th 13, 10:32 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Matt Ferrari[_3_]

well the bad news is this very thing happens to probably a million cats a
year

I have no idea if no plea is done that reaches me.

IF I COULD NO CAT or human would ever be homeless for 1 minute ever.

the problem is i cant, and i have no idea if goofy would brawl with a new
cat in the crib

he clearly runs the house and i cant ask him for some reason? he still seems
to meow a clear yes or no to everything i ask him

Old December 15th 13, 02:00 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Cheryl[_3_]

On 12/10/2013 11:24 PM, jmcquown wrote:
[...]

You might just be surprised if you tried to take in another cat.
Shamrock would prefer to be an only cat, and Marley, former cat from
years ago hated other cats but I was able to take in Shadow with Marley.
And now with Shamrock I've taken in 4 since he's been here. I
understand if you don't want to stress her to try since we know she has
urinary issues that could be made worse by stress.

But to answer your question, I can never understand why people would
leave pets behind. People is a nice word for them because I wouldn't
consider them to be human. MFers.

--
CAPSLOCK–Preventing Login Since 1980.
Old December 15th 13, 02:19 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
jmcquown[_2_]

On 12/14/2013 9:00 PM, Cheryl wrote:
[...]

Given her reaction over the years just seeing another cat outside a
window or on the patio, I doubt it. Halloween cat pose describes it.
So does the accompanying growlrrrrrrr.

Shamrock would prefer to be an only cat, and Marley, former cat from
years ago hated other cats but I was able to take in Shadow with Marley.
And now with Shamrock I've taken in 4 since he's been here. I
understand if you don't want to stress her to try since we know she has
urinary issues that could be made worse by stress.

Persia is possibly 15 and has to eat Rx food for kidney problems. She's
had a lot of health issues in her life. Bladder surgery when she was
young after having lots of crystal oxolate formations. She had a benign
tumor. Later there was the hyperthyroidism. The poor girl has been
through enough without my introducing other cats into her world. For
that, I offer no apologies.

But to answer your question, I can never understand why people would
leave pets behind. People is a nice word for them because I wouldn't
consider them to be human. MFers.

I absolutely agree with that. It's positively inhumane. I suppose my
presumption was in this allegedly close-knit community they could have
said hey, could anyone take care of these cats?

Jill
Old December 15th 13, 03:43 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Cheryl[_3_]

On 12/12/2013 2:17 PM, EvelynVogtGamble(Divamanque) wrote:

Of course, in today's economy, sometimes it's a matter of foreclosure,
and having nowhere to move, but I have to agree with you. Your
four-footed companions are just as much members of the family as your
kids (although some people abandon those, too). I have a friend who has
a small farm in a resort area of Northern Minnesota. Every autumn she
falls heir to abandoned pets in her woods for whom she must find homes.
Some of the summer people get kittens and puppies for their kids to
play with during the summer, then leave them to fend for themselves when
it's time to return to the city, again. It's probably harder for the
dogs, since cats have not been domesticated for nearly as long, but
however enthusiastically cats may chase prey, unless they have been
TAUGHT to hunt, they seldom have the skills to catch their own dinner.

This is the most disgusting behavior I can even imagine. All of it.
It makes me cry. All of my cats were going to either be abandoned or
would have lived their life as a feral. I even took in a 5th when I
really didn't think I could do it. Turns out with his long fur he needs
more care and I've had to take him to the groomers twice. The poop in
the tail fur I'm starting to get a handle on and he's not so bad at
being bathed, but I think he needs his booty area shaved.

--
CAPSLOCK–Preventing Login Since 1980.
Old December 15th 13, 06:49 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Joy

"jmcquown" wrote in message
[...]

I can understand that. At her age, she doesn't need any more stress.

Joy

Old December 15th 13, 05:33 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
jmcquown[_2_]

On 12/15/2013 1:49 AM, Joy wrote:
"jmcquown" wrote in message
[...]

Persia almost always insists on being in the same room with me. When
I'm in the den reading, she's right next to me on the couch. Sniffing
the book and surreptitiously trying to tap my nose when I'm not looking. LOL

Most nights she *deigns* to sleep next to me.

I *know* she wouldn't react well to a Usurper (that's how she'd see it)
of my time and attention. I also know myself. I'd feel I had to give
those cats a lot of extra attention. It wouldn't be fair to Persia.

Jill