fast, shallow breathing

Old July 13th 04, 04:33 PM
Rick Vigorous

Default fast, shallow breathing

I have a 4 1/2 month old female kitten that's been with me for six weeks.
Aside from coming home with a tapeworm, which has now been eliminated, she
seems the picture of health. Enormous appetite, weed-like growth, and
possessed of astonishing energy and strength (she'll jump 5 feet straight
up to grab things out of my hand).

The only thing that concerns me is that she breathes more rapidly and
shallowly than my other two cats. When running around or otherwise active,
she breathes about 60 - 70 times per minute, sometimes even panting
briefly. When my other two cats sleep, they breathe so slowly that
sometimes I've occasionaly awakened them to make sure they're still alive.
With the kitten, her sleep-breathing is still fast and shallow.

She doesn't cough, wheeze, or vomit, and shows no signs of breathing
distress. She's very active, and will romp around for hours without
stopping.

Is this, rapid shallow breathing cause for concern?
Old July 13th 04, 06:34 PM
Mary

"Rick Vigorous" wrote:
The only thing that concerns me is that she breathes more rapidly and

shallowly than my other two cats.

I wouldn't even venture a guess until she has been to a vet.

Old July 13th 04, 06:34 PM
Mary

Old July 13th 04, 06:42 PM
Karen

Well, she has a tinier little respritory system so her breathing will
probably be faster somewhat. I will also say this, when my Sugar was that
age (and basiclaly until she turned one) she did not have an OFF when it
came to play. *I* had to be the off switch and control the rate of speed of
the play because she would run and play herself to a frenzy, panting and the
whole nine yards. So as long as the panting stops within a minute or so of
play stopping its probably OK. I did not have that problem with her
brother, even as a kitten. When he got tired he stopped, but not Sugar. She
did eventually learn however.

om...

Old July 13th 04, 06:54 PM

When running around or otherwise
active, she breathes about 60 - 70 times
per minute, sometimes even panting
briefly.

The average breaths per minute for a cat at rest is 20-30. 60-70, even
with activity, seems high and the cat panting so easily is worrisome.
These symptoms can be indicative of a heart condition. My cat Omar had
these symptoms and was diagnosed with Dilated Cardiomyopathy.
You should definitely take the kitten in for an exam and talk to your
vet about scheduling an echocardiogram to see if there is indeed a heart
condition. If caught early, and depending on the type of problem, it is
possible to treat with medication and have a good quality of life for
quite some time.

Megan

nothing."

-Edmund Burke

Learn The TRUTH About Declawing
http://www.stopdeclaw.com

Zuzu's Cats Photo Album:
http://www.PictureTrail.com/zuzu22

way."

- W.H. Murray

Old July 13th 04, 07:05 PM
kaeli

In article ,
loaf enlightened us with...
[...]

My first thought was an enlarged heart or congenital lung problems, but
those usually cause other symptoms which it doesn't sound like she has,
such as stunted growth, poor appetite, lethargy, and the like.

Is it possible she's just being a normal kitten and you're used to your
adult cats? Kittens do breathe at a more rapid rate than adult cats. It
is not unusual for kittens to pant for a minute or so after intense
activity. All my kittens have.

If you're at all concerned, talk to your vet. Always better safe than
sorry. I've taken more than one pet to the vet for something that turned
out to be nothing. I figure the fee was worth it for my peace of mind.

~kaeli~
Shotgun wedding: A case of wife or death.
http://www.ipwebdesign.net/wildAtHeart
http://www.ipwebdesign.net/kaelisSpace

Old July 13th 04, 07:05 PM
kaeli

In article ,
loaf enlightened us with...

Old July 13th 04, 07:44 PM
---MIKE---

Tiger breathes normally except when purring. Then his breath rate
doubles. It has always been like that.

---MIKE---