Blue-eyed cats = poor vision?

Old September 8th 05, 09:45 PM
Brian Link

Default Blue-eyed cats = poor vision?

I can't recall where I heard this, but I'm wondering if it's an urban
myth.

Our new adoptee, Chloe, has blue eyes, and seems to have poor vision.
She can see well enough to get around, but doesn't track things very
well, and sometimes misjudges distance.

Do blue-eyed cats have poor vision?

BLink
Old September 8th 05, 10:57 PM
gonzalesresidence

I have the same kind of issue with my blue-eyed cat too. His eyes wiggle
all of the time and he always wants us to tap on the counter where his
food is...I would be very interested to hear any posts on this topic.....

Old September 9th 05, 03:40 AM
MaryL

"Brian Link" wrote in message
I can't recall where I heard this, but I'm wondering if it's an urban
myth.

Our new adoptee, Chloe, has blue eyes, and seems to have poor vision.
She can see well enough to get around, but doesn't track things very
well, and sometimes misjudges distance.

Do blue-eyed cats have poor vision?

BLink

I have never heard this (which doesn't mean it can't be true). However, I
wonder if you are confusing this with hearing. White cats with blue eyes
often are deaf. Incidentally, I had a cat with the most spectacular blue
eyes -- she was a little angel and had no defects at all.

MaryL

Old September 9th 05, 08:03 PM
BarB

On Thu, 8 Sep 2005 21:40:34 -0500, "MaryL"
-OUT-THE-LITTER wrote:

"Brian Link" wrote in message
.. .
I can't recall where I heard this, but I'm wondering if it's an urban
myth.

Our new adoptee, Chloe, has blue eyes, and seems to have poor vision.
She can see well enough to get around, but doesn't track things very
well, and sometimes misjudges distance.

Do blue-eyed cats have poor vision?

BLink

I have never heard this (which doesn't mean it can't be true). However, I
wonder if you are confusing this with hearing. White cats with blue eyes
often are deaf. Incidentally, I had a cat with the most spectacular blue
eyes -- she was a little angel and had no defects at all.

MaryL

I've never heard it linked to blindness either. Deafness can
definitely be linked to the white-spotting gene in cats. It is not
however linked to the siamese gene that causes blue eyes, so even a
pure white cat with blue eyes ( called a foreign white} will not be
deaf if it inherited its blue eyes from the siamese gene. Could yours
have been part Siamese?

BarB
Old September 9th 05, 09:48 PM
MaryL

"BarB" wrote in message
. earthlink.net...
On Thu, 8 Sep 2005 21:40:34 -0500, "MaryL"
-OUT-THE-LITTER wrote:

"Brian Link" wrote in message
. ..
[...]

Yes, definitely. I always thought she looked a lot like a Balinese or a
long-haired Siamese. She was white/cream color with flame points and was
one of the sweetest, gentlest cats I have ever seen. You can see a picture
of her here.
http://www.picturetrail.com/gallery/...14&uid=2364916
She was 15 years old at the time the picture was taken and died at the age
of 16, after a 3-year bout with CRF and IBD.

MaryL

Old September 10th 05, 12:45 AM
Gail

She was very beautiful.
Gail

. earthlink.net...

Old September 10th 05, 07:14 AM
BarB

On Fri, 9 Sep 2005 15:48:56 -0500, "MaryL"
-OUT-THE-LITTER wrote:

.earthlink.net...
-OUT-THE-LITTER wrote:

"Brian Link" wrote in message
[...]

What a beautive girl.

BarB
Old September 10th 05, 07:22 AM
Frank Pittel

MaryL -out-the-litter wrote:

: ...
:
: Our new adoptee, Chloe, has blue eyes, and seems to have poor vision.
: She can see well enough to get around, but doesn't track things very
: well, and sometimes misjudges distance.
:
: Do blue-eyed cats have poor vision?
:
: BLink

: I have never heard this (which doesn't mean it can't be true). However, I
: wonder if you are confusing this with hearing. White cats with blue eyes
: often are deaf. Incidentally, I had a cat with the most spectacular blue
: eyes -- she was a little angel and had no defects at all.

I had a white cat with one blue eye that had very good hearing.

--

-------------------

Old September 10th 05, 02:52 PM
Phil P.

Yes, definitely. I always thought she looked a lot like a Balinese or a
long-haired Siamese. She was white/cream color with flame points and was
one of the sweetest, gentlest cats I have ever seen. You can see a

picture
of her here.
http://www.picturetrail.com/gallery/...14&uid=2364916
She was 15 years old at the time the picture was taken and died at the age
of 16, after a 3-year bout with CRF and IBD.

She looks like she was a real sweety- some cats just have that look. I'm
sorry you lost her.

Here's my blue-eyed beauty:

http://www.maxshouse.com/Ours/Suggie-Oggie.jpg

http://www.maxshouse.com/Ours/Suggie.jpg

I'm still trying to figure out the mix. Sorta Turkish Angora-ish.