decapitated squirrel

Old October 25th 08, 04:51 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
The Nice Mean Man[_2_]

Default decapitated squirrel

On Oct 19, 11:19*pm, honeybunch wrote:
This happened today and it upset me and my son who was visiting. *The
cat was outside. *We went out and found a headless squirrel in the
garden. *I do have a peculiar neighbor but he has never done anything
his weird. *I really dont believe my small cat caught a squirel by the
head, bit the head off, swallowed the head and then *left the corpse
alone. The squirrel was unmarked except for the missing head. * If
ever Snappy catches anything it is to play with. He usually brings the
catch into the house. *This year he caught 2 butterflies. *Last year
he caught 2 birds. *He brings them in and usually they wind up flying
around the house. *But this headless squirrel is scary. *I cant
imagine him biting off the head and leaving the body. *If he caught
it, it would not be by the head. *Could a hawk have caught it and
dropped it? *I am sorry to say that I think the neighbor caught it in
a humane trap, cut its head off, and threw it in my garden for a joke
or some insane reason. *What else could it be? *I dont see the cat
just biting the head off a squirrel and leaving the corpse with no
marks on it and not even hanging around it or dragging it in the
house. *It was a ways from the house.

Cats are vicious, violent and very effective hunters. It wouldn’t
surprise me if he did it. What does surprise me is that he didn’t
deliver his kill to your front door mat.
Old October 25th 08, 05:06 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
cshenk

"The Nice Mean Man" wrote

Could a hawk have caught it and
dropped it?

Cats are vicious, violent and very effective hunters. It wouldn’t
surprise me if he did it.

More likely is 2 birds, large ones, and one tried to take it from the other
in flight. That can cause this sort of damage. Upsetting yes, also part of
nature.