Frequent, Watery Vomiting

Old March 21st 04, 09:15 PM
Pet lover

"MaryL." wrote in message
m...
My cat for a few days now has been vomiting a few times a day, and of
course manages to always get it onto furniture, rugs, etc, even though
most of the house is wood floors....argh!

On a more serious note, though, the vomit is not "regular"
vomiting...he usually produces a little pool of watery vomit that is
dark in color, almost chocolatey in tone. There is a little bit of
food matter in it, but for the most part it is mainly liquidy. It is
not bloody, however. About the time he started doing this we were
giving him a new food from his regular food, and one that was
considerably darker in color, so we assumed he just did not like that
food in his stomach over the regular brand...but since we have
switched back to the regular stuff, and yet it is still dark and he is
still vomiting.

Does anyone have any idea why a cat would vomit mostly watery,
chocolate colored stuff? Any tips on soothing his tummy? I know in
the end a trip to the vet is the best idea, but money is SO tight
now...I'm hoping to be able to soothe/resolve this myself if possible.
Does this style of vomiting sound like something really serious, or
just a stomach flu, irritation, etc? Thank you for your help!

I wonder why it is seen to be acceptable by some to allow their pets to
suffer illness and seek free advice from a newsgroup rather than take them
to a vet??? Would you do the same if it were your child? I doubt it. Good
grief, if you have no money there are plenty of charitites and humane
societies that can help, HOWEVER, try selling your computer to pay for the
vet treatment, if you can afford a computer and an internet connection you
can afford to take your cat to the vet when it appears to be sick

Old March 22nd 04, 01:49 AM
MaryL.

The answer should be obvious. The cat needs to see a vet ASAP. So what
if money is tight. Did it occur to you that sitting on your butt and
watching your cat deteriorate could result in higher vet bills????
Sheesh, if this was a child exhibiting these symptoms you could be cited
for neglect for waiting so long and doing nothing. I have no patience
anymore for people like you that already know what the *right* answer to
their question is, but in the name of saving a few dollars will let
their cat suffer. Take your cat to the vet.

Now I honestly regret posting here, looking for advice. The very fact
that I did should show that I am concerned about things. What else is
this board for, then? If I wanted to trade cute cuddly wuddly cat
stories, I would have gone to a board such as that, rather than one
about cat health. And it goes a bit further monetarily than "saving a
few dollars" so I can go get that new coat or something...I'm talking
about not being able to make house payments anymore because I was laid
off due to the state's budget mess. Granted, not an excuse, but when
you are frantically trying to get enough money together to make house
payments and are eating one meal a day because you cannot spend so
much as $5.00 for lunch, things are not so simple as you might think.
I have taken cats to the vet so many times for this or that, only to
be told, "Oh, that'll just take time," or "there is no way to really
tell, so let's just wait and see," or be given medicine that does no
good whatsoever. More than once I have had vets tell me that they
really have no idea what it could be, now please fork over $100 for
the visit and the exam, thank you very much.

I came here looking for constructive advice, similar experiences, and
some clue as to what the source could conceivably be, not to be ripped
on because I did give a damn. I guess I misconceived what this board
is for. And please do not flame "my" email...I am using someone
else's account to post this, and it would not be fair to her to get
slammed for my misconceptions.

Old March 22nd 04, 02:55 AM
Wendy

"MaryL." wrote in message
m...
[...]

The frequency and the color of the vomit would concern me. Try calling the
vet and explaining your situation and see if they can work something out.

Old March 22nd 04, 08:29 AM
Mary

Meghan N. wrote:

When my elderly cat was losing weight, I took her to 3 vets with no
good advice whatsoever. I spent lots of money, and all they did was
try to sell me their special food, but she wanted nothing to do with
any of them.

So, I can see why sometimes it might be okay to wait while other

times
are not okay to wait. Sometimes we have to do our best to make the
right decision.

Attacking somebody for asking on this group is not going to help.

This
only encourages them to leave. If the problem sounds serious, then
simply say, "This sounds serious, better take him to the vet."

I agree. Gnarly was Vomit Queen. I took her in so many times and got
nothing but suggestions like, "could she have been eating any
houseplants?" and eventually just was prescribed some pills that would
stop her from vomiting. This is the
cat that lived to be 20 and had every single one of her teeth when she
died. I wasted tons of money flipping out because she hurled on a
regular basis. Sure, take them to the vet. But if you're in tight
straits, and it is something that has happened before and your
judgment tells you to seek other solutions before the vet, trust your
judgment. My cat had her Science Diet (top of the line in 1990, folks)
when I had pasta with no sauce. But there were plenty of times I
didn't take her to the vet every time she had a stomach problem.

Old March 22nd 04, 11:28 AM
Pet lover

"MaryL." wrote in message
m...
Now I honestly regret posting here, looking for advice. The very fact
that I did should show that I am concerned about things. What else is
this board for, then? If I wanted to trade cute cuddly wuddly cat
stories, I would have gone to a board such as that, rather than one
about cat health. And it goes a bit further monetarily than "saving a
few dollars" so I can go get that new coat or something...I'm talking
about not being able to make house payments anymore because I was laid
off due to the state's budget mess. Granted, not an excuse, but when
you are frantically trying to get enough money together to make house
payments and are eating one meal a day because you cannot spend so
much as $5.00 for lunch, things are not so simple as you might think.

Then if you can't afford to care for your cat maybe you should rehome it
with someone who can?

What would you do if the cat broke it's leg?

Old March 22nd 04, 02:22 PM
Pet lover

"Meghan Noecker" wrote in message
Now, I realize that is cheap, but that's my point. Are you saying that
I should never have had Maynard simply because I would have to borrow
to scrape $500 together for an emergency surgery? I'd do it. I;d eat
top ramen for a month if it meant taking good care of my cat. But the
idea that I must find every vet bill to be *easy* to cover, on the
spot, without a care in the world, is absurd.

Precisely was I was saying. The OP has a sick cat, most people including
you and I would do anything you have to do to get that cat appropriate
care - even if that means going without yourself. She is obviously not
prepared to do that and take her cat to the vets and get proper care like
any normal caring person would - even those that can't afford to. Humane
societies and charities always help if there is real hardship. Instead she
would rather post on here................................better off if the
cat lived with someone who would take care of it, regardless of what it
takes