OT Calif. City Bans Smoking in Public Places

Old March 22nd 06, 09:08 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

Default OT Calif. City Bans Smoking in Public Places

wrote in message
CatNipped wrote:

Also, to stretch a point, drivers who are distracted by fishing out
and lighting up a cigarette could (and do) cause accidents.

Ditto for CD players - I had an accident about 4 years ago because I was
futzing around with a CD and went off the road and hit a phone pole! (I
wasn't hurt, but my car was totalled.) Then there are coffee drinkers,
people talking on cell phones, and so on. (I'm guilty of talking on a
cell phone while driving, I have to confess.)

Joyce

Yes, to be completely safe, the driver's seat of all cars should be
completely closed off and soundproofed from the rest of the car. There
should be no cup holders, lighters, stereo or anything else accessible to
the driver. Only the steering wheel, gas and brake. Probably all cars
should be automatics too because shifting gears while driving could be a
distraction for some. ;-)
--
Britta

Old March 22nd 06, 01:54 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

badwilson wrote:

In Thailand many people smoke, although mostly men. The government is
bringing in a lot of anti-smoking propaganda and now you can't show any
smoking on TV, so there's a big blur every time somebody puffs on a
cigarrette. This also includes animation shows such as the Simpsons. It's
hilarious!

LOL! Advertising tobacco products is illegal in Finland, but that's
taking it a bit far!

marina (dot) kurten (at) iki (dot) fi
Old March 22nd 06, 04:24 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

badwilson wrote:
wrote in message
CatNipped wrote:

[...]

Well, to be perfectly honest, I used to wish I had one of those police
cars they use to haul prisoners. The ones with the glass and steel mesh
between the driver and the back seat. Back when I carpooled my kids +
neighbor kid to school.

Sherry

Old March 22nd 06, 06:25 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

wrote in message
CatNipped wrote:

Also, to stretch a point, drivers who are distracted by fishing out
and lighting up a cigarette could (and do) cause accidents.

Ditto for CD players - I had an accident about 4 years ago because I was
futzing around with a CD and went off the road and hit a phone pole! (I
wasn't hurt, but my car was totalled.) Then there are coffee drinkers,
people talking on cell phones, and so on. (I'm guilty of talking on a
cell phone while driving, I have to confess.)

Joyce

My grandsons other grandmother was killed when her car drifted out of its
lane and was hit by a cement truck. Best guess was she was changing music
in her tape player and dropped a tape.

Jo

Old March 22nd 06, 06:27 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

wrote in message
oups.com...

badwilson wrote:
wrote in message
CatNipped wrote:

[...]

There are times its not so bad to be deaf. I could never hear the darlings
when I car pooled the grandsons and their friends. All I could hear of
their "music" was the beat.

They would then get in a great deal of trouble when they were riding with
someone else and forgot not all adults are deaf.

Jo

Old March 22nd 06, 06:33 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

wrote in message
oups.com...

badwilson wrote:
wrote in message
CatNipped wrote:

[...]

I thought that was what duct tape and cattle prods were for

Old March 22nd 06, 07:06 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

On 2006-03-22, badwilson penned:

Yes, to be completely safe, the driver's seat of all cars should be
completely closed off and soundproofed from the rest of the car.
There should be no cup holders, lighters, stereo or anything else
accessible to the driver. Only the steering wheel, gas and brake.
Probably all cars should be automatics too because shifting gears
while driving could be a distraction for some. ;-) -- Britta

Bah! You can have my manual transmission when you pry the shifter
from my cold, dead hand!

--
monique, who spoils Oscar unmercifully

Old March 22nd 06, 11:09 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

On 2006-03-21, polonca12000 penned:

But slowly things changed back to the way they were before the ban and
now if I want to go have a coffee with some friends who like me do not
smoke I can hardly find a place where people are not allowed to smoke.

That's too bad. Maybe you can look on the bright side: you spend less
money if you don't go to those places!

I know, it's not much consolation.

We only go about once or twice a month, so that's not expensive. But it
gets boring to always go to the same two places that are non-smoking.
Best wishes,
Polonca and Soncek

Old March 22nd 06, 11:28 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

On 2006-03-22, polonca12000 penned:

We only go about once or twice a month, so that's not expensive. But it
gets boring to always go to the same two places that are non-smoking.
Best wishes,
Polonca and Soncek

Yes =/

I know what you mean. I never realized how annoying smoking in public
places was until I didn't have to deal with it anymore. Now, whenever
I have to deal with smoke in a building, it's incredibly frustrating.

--
monique, who spoils Oscar unmercifully