Old Age Claws

Old January 22nd 04, 03:01 PM
Alexandra

Default Old Age Claws

Okay, I mentioned this before, but I guess it got overlooked somehow.

I am kinda helpless with this one:
My old boy Charley (17 this year) has stopped scratching - completely.
Even his fave Tablefront he wont touch. Hes absolutely as always in
every other way, a totally laid back ever-hungry cat, as Garfield-like
as one can imagine. When he sees the two "younger" ones scratching its
as if he thinks "I am over such childish behaviour".

Of course I dont mind him not ruining my furnitures, but his claws are
getting pretty long, and curling close to the pads.

As I said hes an old cat. He does not like to be taken to the vets at
all and I dont want to if its not urgent, not until his next routinely
visit later this year.

Now, should I shorten them with those clips? I ve never done that and
I am not sure... If I was shown (or told) how to I guess I could
manage. Hes not at all peculiar about touching paws.

If you think its better to go to the vets I guess I will, just that
he always overreacts badly when he has to be brought outside, and hes
not as young as he was.

Yours meaowingly,

Alex
Old January 22nd 04, 03:37 PM

Now, should I shorten them with those
clips? I ve never done that and I am not
sure... If I was shown (or told) how to I
guess I could manage. Hes not at all
peculiar about touching paws.

Why you don't you give your vet a call and see if there is a vet tech
available to come to your house after their shift, trim your cat's claws
the first time and show you how to maintain them. Offer to pay $10-$15
for their trouble and I'm sure you'll get the help you need. :-)

Megan

nothing."

-Edmund Burke

Learn The TRUTH About Declawing
http://www.stopdeclaw.com

Zuzu's Cats Photo Album:
http://www.PictureTrail.com/zuzu22

way."

- W.H. Murray

Old January 22nd 04, 03:39 PM
Wendy

You should be able to clip his claws and they certainly sound like they need
to be done. I really like the "scissor" type like shown here
http://www.petsmart.com/cat/shopping...%5Ftools/nail%
5Fclippers/products/product%5F19480.shtml
I did use regular people nail clippers for years until Tiggers claws got
thick in her old age but you guy's may be too long for them. Make sure you
have good light so you can see what you're doing. Just clip the white part
of the nail. You can see a pink line in the nail toward the toe - avoid
getting too close to that. You may want to attempt this when he's in a lazy
curl up in your lap mood. If he doesn't tolerate having all of them done at
one time just do one or two at a time and get the rest later.

om...

Old January 22nd 04, 06:46 PM
m. L. Briggs

On 22 Jan 2004 07:01:54 -0800, (Alexandra)
wrote:

[...]

suggestion: See if you can find a Vet to come to your home (I do).
If you try to trim them yourself, be sure to clip only the sharp tip.
Do not cut into the vein ( little dark streak) or you will hurt him
and make it bleed. Be sure you have a good pair of clippers. You can
buy these at a pet store and are easier to use then people clippers
IMO. I used to trim my Siamese but don't dare do TuTu's. The nails
will grow into the pads if left untrimmed. Good luck