cat with mild kidney failure

Old February 9th 04, 05:21 PM
rinn

Default cat with mild kidney failure

My 8yo cat has been urinating on the carpet for over a year now. He had a
couple of urinalysis, some came back showing infection, so he has been on
anti-biotics off and on. He peed on our bed a couple of times so we took
him to a new vet. They did an x-ray and discovered he had 3 kidney stones
in one kidney, that kidney was enlarged, and the 2nd kidney had shrunk about
75% due to trying to do all the work for the other kidney. So we started
him on the special kidney food (Hills KD). This is not so easy since we have
4 other cats! But they are adjusting. He is also taking Clavamox due to a
little infection in his urine again.
So...then we get his blood tests back, and the numbers show his is in mild
kidney failure. Poor thing. We have been instructed to give him 150 ml of
Lactated Ringers, subqutaneously, twice a week from here on out. We tried
for the first time
last Tuesday, but what I injected in him mostly leaked back out. Sigh. We
did this again on
Friday, and were very successful.
He is in good spirits, eating (mostly) well, is very active, still drinking
water and peeing, looks very healthy,bright eyed and bushy tailed..

My questions a Does anyone else have experience with a cat in Kidney
failure - especially 'mild' kidney failure? I am getting lots of different
information from people who have had cats with kidney failure. Most people
have never had to hydrate their cat with injected fluids. They have only see
that done when their cat has had an 'episode' and they need to go in to have
an IV and be totally flushed out. I certainly want to do everything I can
to keep my cat happy, but I can't find much information about this. I'm
wondering if my vet (who I really like and will be asking them the same
questions) is just used to treating this aggressively. Any information or
suggetions would be greatly appreciated.

--
Thanks,
Janet

Old February 9th 04, 11:45 PM
Meghan

Hi Janet,

Yes! I have experience with sub-q fluids. My 12 year old cat had them last
year. First of all, hang in there. It seems overwhelming in the
beginning - I know. After a while, you will be a pro - your cat will be a
pro - and it won't seem like much of a deal at all. I also had to do the
special kidney food, and with 5 cats ranging in age from 8 weeks to 12
years, yep - what a task!

What I did was feed my older cat in the bathroom. For some reason the
kittens liked the kidney food, which was bad b/c they need more protein than
what is in there. So I just separated them from the older girl when she
ate. I think she appreciated it too, because there was no one to bug her.

The method of injecting the fluid takes some practice. I did it all - put
the needle right through (so the fluid came out the other side), ended up
making her bleed (which I felt soooo bad for) - you name it I experienced
it. I had the vet show me on several different occasions how to best inject
the fluid, how to hold the skin like a "tent". I was assured over and over
that these fluids would keep my cat comfortable and the hydration would give
her energy, rather than wait til she was totally depleted of energy to
hydrate her.

Don't hesitate to ask your vet for help if you need it - have one of the
techs show you how they do it ON YOUR CAT in the office. I found that my
biggest hurdle was mental - how can I stick my poor cat with a needle on a
regular basis. Just remind yourself that it is for his health. It is best.
Sometimes I would give my cat some food while I did the "treatment", and she
ate while getting her fluids.

I'm sure I'm forgetting a lot. If you have any questions just let me know
or email me privately at (remove the REMOVE) .

Meghan

Old February 10th 04, 04:43 AM
Cathy Friedmann

"Laura R." wrote in message
.. .

P.S.
This is just a copy and paste from part of the six or eight pages of
instructions that I leave for my catsitter (yeah, I'm a little anal
retentive), but if you're new to fluids, there might be something of
use in here (note that the referenced radiator is enclosed and tile-
topped G):

Do you think the instructions have enough detail? g But I agree, for
first-time fluid givers, reading them over would help to give a good sense
of what's involved. The thing is, it *seems* incredibly long &
multi-stepped at first, but after a while it becomes routine & a snap to do.
Probably 5 minutes, start to finish, tops.

In the apt. where I lived in prior to this house, there was hot water heat,
therefore radiators. Along w/ radiator covers, & the radiators were located
underneath windows. My cat *loved* them. In the winter she'd lie flat out
on them, with as much of her stomach in contact w/ the covers' tops as
possible. In the summer, they made perches that were a prefect height for
looking out of the windows.

Cathy

("The Boy in the Bubble") Paul Simon

Jacob's Fluids

Lactated Ringer's bags are on white shelves next to refrigerator in
kitchen
Drip lines are on white shelves next to refrigerator in kitchen
Needles are in small baggies on white shelves next to refrigerator in
kitchen
Take five needles at a time from bag and put in small container in
freezer. Each day, use a fresh needle out of the freezer (frozen
needles hurt less). When the container runs out, put another five
needles in. (Leaving needles in freezer for longer than five days may
potentially warp them.)

Fluid bag hangs from window above radiator in living room. Before
giving fluids to Jacob, put bag on radiator and let it warm a bit.
You may leave it on the radiator if that is easier, and hang it just
when administering fluids.

Steps for administration:

1. After fluid has warmed to slightly above room temperature, hang
bag from hook on window.
2. Make sure that bag is not punctured and that fluids are not
cloudy.
3. Fluid level at top of drip line should be approximately half-
full in the drip chamber. If it is too full, turn the bag upside down
and squeeze a little fluid back into the bag. If the chamber is too
full, it's difficult to see if the fluid is actually flowing. If the
fluid in the chamber is not approximately half full, squeeze a little
fluid from bag into chamber.
4. Check drip line for excessive air bubbles. Because this is not
IV treatment, they won't kill Jacob, but they can make it less
comfortable for him. If there are lots of bubbles, open the stopcock
and let a little fluid run through.
5. Remove blue plastic cap from drip line with a twisting motion
and set aside while administering fluids.
6. Remove green cap from needle with a twisting motion, then twist
the needle onto the end of the drip line (the end of the drip line is
threaded so that you don't have to push or pull, just twist the
needle on and off).
7. Leave cap on needle until ready to administer fluids.
8. Put a small pile of dry food on plate on cat mat on top of
radiator.
9. Put Jacob on cat mat on top of radiator. He probably won't
start eating the food at this point.
10. Very gently, lift the fur on Jacob's shoulderblades just enough
for him to feel it. He will immediately lie down on his belly as he
knows that this means he's going to get his fluids.
11. Grasp a small amount of fur between his shoulderblades between
finger and thumb and lift it up a little. A small "tent" will form.
With other hand, poke the tent to make sure that you've pulled up the
skin a bit and that there is a "pocket" formed by the tent. When
you're sure that you have what is essentially a pyramid shape formed,
insert the needle horizontally into the pocket formed by lifting the
tent. The beveled edge of the needle should face up so as not to tear
Jacob's skin. Move the needle forward until you feel a small "pop" as
it breaks the skin- Jacob will make a small flinching motion as the
needle breaks the skin- it isn't particularly painful, but he does
feel it. Make sure not to push the needle back out of the other side
of the "tent". When the needle is in, give the tent a little bit of a
wiggle to make sure that the needle isn't caught on the side or poked
out the other side, then release the tent. Jacob will lie quietly
while you do this, and will probably purr.
12. Open the stopcock on the drip line by rolling the wheel all the
way up to the top of its track. Once you've rolled the wheel up,
slide the entire track up or down the line a few inches and pinch the
tube to remove the crimp formed when the wheel was closed.
13. Fluid should be flowing at the drip chamber in a steady stream.
If it is dripping instead, check the line for crimps and lift the
tent of skin a bit at Jacob's shoulderblades to make sure that the
skin hasn't blocked the needle's flow.
14. Watch the bag and close the stopcock when 100mls of fluid have
been administered. A lump will form under Jacob's skin and will
probably slide down his leg or to his ribcage. This is completely
normal. The fluid will be absorbed within a few hours. If there is
still a lump the next day when you're getting ready to give fluids
again, call me.
15. After you've closed the stopcock by rolling the wheel all the
way to the bottom, slide the needle out of Jacob's skin. If you don't
roll the stopcock wheel all the way down, the tubing will leak. A
whole bag of fluid can leak out in a day if the stopcock isn't
tightly closed.
16. After sliding the needle out, gently pinch the skin together
for a few seconds to help keep the fluids from leaking out of Jacob.
At this point, he will probably have started eating the kibble.
17. Put the cap back on the needle and remove it from the drip tube
by twisting it off, then put the green cap back on the needle and
throw the entire needle into the Pine-Sol bottle by the radiator.
18. Put the blue cap back on the drip tube and hang the tubing on
the window latch.

The key to doing this successfully is to not be afraid of the
process. Jacob likes getting his fluids, and is extremely cooperative
as long as you follow his "routine" by following the steps above. If
he senses you're afraid, or if you try to rush anything, he'll become
fearful and will be less cooperative. He may also drink right after
getting fluids, and this is not cause for worry. He likes to drink
from the bowl by the radiator.

Laura
--
I am Dyslexia of Borg,
Your ass will be laminated.

Old February 10th 04, 12:46 PM
Wendy

"Laura R." wrote in message
.. .
circa Mon, 9 Feb 2004 23:43:17 -0500, in rec.pets.cats.health+behav,
Cathy Friedmann ) said,

Yup. Jacob is done in less than two minutes. It's *so* easy,
particularly as cooperative as Jacob is.
Laura

I really believe they can learn what is good for them and do cooperate with
treatment that makes them feel better.

Tigger started hollering yesterday. I asked her what the problem was.
Needless to say she didn't answer lol. When I showed her the bottle of
cosequin and arnica montana she came right over to me and sat down. She
HATES taking pills but came over for it anyway. Guess she wasn't feeling
well.

Old February 10th 04, 04:28 PM
rinn

Thank you all for the WONDERFUL information! I'm relieved to know this is
more commonplace that I first thought. I like the idea of giving the fluids
more than twice a week, it makes sense. I'm going to discuss this with my
vet. We gave Newman fluids last night, but only got half of it in (he
tricked me...I thought he was relaxed but he was just getting ready to run
from me!!). So we are going to give him the other half tonite.
Thanks again for all of the responses, instructions and web sites.
"Laura R." wrote in message
.. .
circa Mon, 9 Feb 2004 09:21:00 -0800, in rec.pets.cats.health+behav,
rinn ) said,