Mouse

Old September 28th 04, 12:59 PM
Kajikit

Mishi had something important to tell us on Tue, 28 Sep 2004 03:46:26
GMT:

Grant went through a "chewing on cords" phase. I had duct tape and
electronic tape everywhere. Taped every cord I could find to the floor. I
was very pleased when he grew out of it.

I have heard of using light springs (the screen door type) over the wires.
It takes a bit of time to 'wind' them over the wire, but it is worth it. I
have also heard of people enclosing the wires in small plastic pipe.
Anything to prevent the dreaded wire chewing!

Or you could invest in a cordless mouse and keyboard... otherwise
putting something bitter on the wires might help to put the kitties
off chewing them.
--

Karen AKA Kajikit

Here kitty kitty kitty... visit http://www.catslaves.org!

Come and visit my part of the web:
Kajikit's Corner: http://www.kajikitscorner.com

Old September 28th 04, 02:53 PM
Karen

in article , Steve Touchstone at
wrote on 9/27/04 9:54 PM:

On Tue, 28 Sep 2004 15:12:24 +1200, Bev wrote:

I had my computer into the computer shop to fix my printer and when I
got it home the mouse wouldn't work. I tried everything,
grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr. Took the computer and mouse back to the computer
shop and the youthful guru picked the problem in a flash. "Look," he
said giggling, "something has been gnawing at your mouse cord.
SOMETHING!!!!! I looked closely at the cord. "See," said the guru,
"look at the teethmarks. You don't have rats, do you? Rats often get
into peoples' computers." "No," I said grimly, "but we do have
Burmese cats!!!"

Later I went up to the Computer shop to buy a new $40 mouse. Guess who
I met there, Lois, the indirect cause of all my problems. I showed
her the teethmarks on the mouse cord. The wires were all frayed and
some bitten through. "This is all your fault," I said accusingly.
Lois looked thoughtful,
"I wonder what the cords are like behind my computer," she said.

I never had that problem, though before Sammy's sibleys left for their
forever homes they discovered the power strip. They didn't chew on any
cords, but did turn the computer on in the middle of the night, or off
at the most inopportune times. For a while I had carboard covers over
the buttons, but they lost interest pretty quickly.

That's not to say that I never had any critters chew up cords. Before
the cats my cockatiels used to be out of their cage whenever I was
home. Sunny was pretty much a permanent fixture on my shoulder, so she
never bothered the cords. But Tiger was never comfortable on my
shoulder, and used to roam around the desk when I was using the
computer. I didn't realize he was chewing on the cords until the
speakers quit. When I checked I found the speaker wires very well
chewed, as well as beak marks on the zip drive cord.

you had a cockatiel named Tiger? You were definitely spoiling to be a Paw
Paw

Old September 29th 04, 12:36 AM
Steve Touchstone

On Tue, 28 Sep 2004 07:53:54 -0600, Karen wrote:

That's not to say that I never had any critters chew up cords. Before
the cats my cockatiels used to be out of their cage whenever I was
home. Sunny was pretty much a permanent fixture on my shoulder, so she
never bothered the cords. But Tiger was never comfortable on my
shoulder, and used to roam around the desk when I was using the
computer. I didn't realize he was chewing on the cords until the
speakers quit. When I checked I found the speaker wires very well
chewed, as well as beak marks on the zip drive cord.

you had a cockatiel named Tiger? You were definitely spoiling to be a Paw
Paw

Yep, I have a Tiger cockatiel. My pet names usually reflect their
appearance. I got Sunny free from a pet store when her first people
returned her with a broken wing. The wing healed crooked, and she has
no lift when she flies. If she takes off from a high spot she can
circle the room a couple times, getting lower each cycle. I had her
three or four years before I thought it would be nice if she had a
companion, so I bought Ti. Sunny didn't appreciate the new arrival.

When I brought Ti home she tried to challenge for the top of the
pecking order, and her displays reminded me of a snarling tiger. Ti
was all bluff, though. Whenever the displays got on Sunny's nerves
Sunny would chase her. The main difference was that Ti was all bluff
like a kid on a playground. Sunny skipped the posturing and charged in
like she was going to tear Ti to bits. As soon as Sunny charged Ti
stopped the posturing and took off for the hills. They never really
fought, since Ti always gave up and could always get away.

I still have the birds, Sunny is probably around 15 and Ti around 12.
By the time the cats came along the pecking order was well enough
established that the birds could stay in the same cage. They're still
are exactly friends, though.
--
Steve Touchstone,

[remove Junk for email]

[...]