Mouse

Old September 29th 04, 04:28 AM
Karen

in article , Steve Touchstone at
wrote on 9/28/04 5:36 PM:

On Tue, 28 Sep 2004 07:53:54 -0600, Karen wrote:

That's not to say that I never had any critters chew up cords. Before
the cats my cockatiels used to be out of their cage whenever I was
home. Sunny was pretty much a permanent fixture on my shoulder, so she
never bothered the cords. But Tiger was never comfortable on my
shoulder, and used to roam around the desk when I was using the
computer. I didn't realize he was chewing on the cords until the
speakers quit. When I checked I found the speaker wires very well
chewed, as well as beak marks on the zip drive cord.

you had a cockatiel named Tiger? You were definitely spoiling to be a Paw
Paw

Yep, I have a Tiger cockatiel. My pet names usually reflect their
appearance. I got Sunny free from a pet store when her first people
returned her with a broken wing. The wing healed crooked, and she has
no lift when she flies. If she takes off from a high spot she can
circle the room a couple times, getting lower each cycle. I had her
three or four years before I thought it would be nice if she had a
companion, so I bought Ti. Sunny didn't appreciate the new arrival.

When I brought Ti home she tried to challenge for the top of the
pecking order, and her displays reminded me of a snarling tiger. Ti
was all bluff, though. Whenever the displays got on Sunny's nerves
Sunny would chase her. The main difference was that Ti was all bluff
like a kid on a playground. Sunny skipped the posturing and charged in
like she was going to tear Ti to bits. As soon as Sunny charged Ti
stopped the posturing and took off for the hills. They never really
fought, since Ti always gave up and could always get away.

I still have the birds, Sunny is probably around 15 and Ti around 12.
By the time the cats came along the pecking order was well enough
established that the birds could stay in the same cage. They're still
are exactly friends, though.

Well, company is company

Old September 29th 04, 04:59 AM
Sam Nash

"Bev" wrote in message
I had my computer into the computer shop to fix my printer and when I
got it home the mouse wouldn't work. I tried everything,
grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr. Took the computer and mouse back to the computer
shop and the youthful guru picked the problem in a flash. "Look," he
said giggling, "something has been gnawing at your mouse cord.
SOMETHING!!!!! I looked closely at the cord. "See," said the guru,
"look at the teethmarks. You don't have rats, do you? Rats often get
into peoples' computers." "No," I said grimly, "but we do have
Burmese cats!!!"

Later I went up to the Computer shop to buy a new $40 mouse. Guess who
I met there, Lois, the indirect cause of all my problems. I showed
her the teethmarks on the mouse cord. The wires were all frayed and
some bitten through. "This is all your fault," I said accusingly.
Lois looked thoughtful,
"I wonder what the cords are like behind my computer," she said.

Bev

Reminds me of a story I wrote long, long ago about our Rascal(RB) and the
computer. Had a printer, monitor, modem, power cords, mouse. All run down
behind the table to the processor unit sitting on the floor.

One day the mouse worked just fine up and down, but not at all from side to
side. Investigation showed that the mouse cord had been surreptitiously
chewed. Power cords, printer cable, monitor cable, etc. all fine. Mouse
cord toast.

Got a replacement mouse. Closed cat out of computer room. Now mouse works
in both axes. Do my stuff on the computer. Finish up and leave the
computer room, closing the door securely behind me.

Next evening, go back to computer room and close the door. Wife calls me
for something - don't remember what. Pulled the computer room door closed.
Go do what DW wants (always a wise plan) and go back to the computer room.
Uh-oh. Door is open about a cat width. Check for cat in computer room -
not there. Phew! Sit down at the computer and try to open up a program.
Huh? Now the mouse works side to side but not up and down. Da*n! Check
the cord. Sure enough - teeth marks. On *only* the mouse cord. Blasted
cat!

Next day, stop at the hardware store and get 4 feet of armored electrical
cable. The stuff in a flexible metal sheath. Come home with it and notice
that I forgot another replacement mouse. Da*n! and double Da*n! No
computer tonight.

Next night, stop at the computer store *again*. The helpful kid behind the
counter recognizes me and wonders what could be wrong with my computer
breaking mice like that. Don't ask.

Come home, remove the electrical wire from the armored cable sheath, fiddle
with the mouse cord and connector until the connector comes out the other
end, connect it to the computer. Mouse works! Yippee!

Called the cat into the computer room. He heads under the desk then comes
back out with a dirty look on his face. I just smiled, put him out in the
hall and carried on.

He never chewed another cord/cable on my computer. Natural hunter instinct?

Sam

Old September 29th 04, 06:21 AM
Marina

Sam Nash wrote:

[...]

LOL! What a smart cat, to know which was the *mousie* cord!

--
Marina, Frank and Nikki

Old September 29th 04, 06:21 AM
Bev

Sam Nash wrote:

"Bev" wrote in message
[...]

Sam, What a delightful er expensive story. I think I know why they
like the mouse cord, mine anyway is thinner than the other cords and
therefore easier to chew. They ate the very thin microphone cord ages
ago and I haven't replaced it. I think this happened while we were
away, (while the head cat's away the er cats will play). They put it
across housesitter Kay in all sorts of ways!

Bev
--
The email of the species is more deadly than the mail.