Hubert and TED - Questions

Old September 28th 04, 08:27 AM
LOL

Default Hubert and TED - Questions

This afternoon I took Hubert to TED; as long as we were there, he had
his second round of shots, which were due later in the week; we also
re-affirmed his Giant Kitten status - 4.75 pounds! He's only 9 weeks
old! TED said he's the biggest kitten he's ever seen - he's bigger
than lots of six month old kittens he sees.

I made the vet appointment because on Saturday and Sunday we'd noticed
that Hubert's left eye droops sometimes. It's not red or watering or
otherwise unusual-looking, and it doesn't seem to bother him, but
there's a definite droop, quite pronounced when he's tired. TED
looked at his eye and said it looked perfectly normal, and suggested
that it might be a behavioral quirk. I am not entirely happy with
this answer. Does anyone have any ideas about this? I am hoping the
collective wisdom of this group will know just what this is and that
it's nothing to worry about; certainly nothing to go whisking him off
to a feline neurologist about. Right? (I am trying to talk myself
out of said whisking, at least without waiting to see if it keeps
happening.)

Also, I mentioned in the context of Hubert's enormousness that he's
still nursing, and it looks hilarious because he's so big. TED said,
"Separate them." I said "Do we *need* to?" TED said "Yes." I said
"For how long? I'd thought that Lula might cut him off when she was
spayed, but she didn't." TED said "For two to three weeks, until she
dries up."

Noooooo!!! I don't want to do this! They will both be *very*
distressed by this! Is there any harm in his still nursing at 9
weeks? Lula's put on some weight, so even though he's a huge kitten
she's getting plenty of nutrition for herself. We're still feeding
them both kitten formula dry food, available all the time; their
canned food is adult formula for Lula and kitten formula for Hube. He
doesn't nurse as much as he used to; just once or twice a day as best
I can tell. Is there any harm in giving them more time for Lula to
wean him herself?

*sigh*

Help me Obi-Wan-RPCA, you're my only hope. ;-)

------
Krista
Old September 28th 04, 01:23 PM
Mishi

Is there any harm in his still nursing at 9 weeks? Lula's put on some
weight, so even though he's a huge kitten she's getting plenty of nutrition
for herself.

Hi Krista,

I have a 7 month old kitten who still nurses her (spayed) mom, and I have
seen even older kits do this. As long as Lula is gaining weight and she
isn't bothered by it, then I would let them do it. He will stop eventually,
either on his own or Lula will stop him.

Kitty kisses and Purrs to you all!
Patti

Old September 28th 04, 01:47 PM
Kreisleriana

On Tue, 28 Sep 2004 12:23:16 GMT, "Mishi"
yodeled:

Is there any harm in his still nursing at 9 weeks? Lula's put on some
weight, so even though he's a huge kitten she's getting plenty of nutrition
for herself.

Hi Krista,

I have a 7 month old kitten who still nurses her (spayed) mom, and I have
seen even older kits do this. As long as Lula is gaining weight and she
isn't bothered by it, then I would let them do it. He will stop eventually,
either on his own or Lula will stop him.

Kitty kisses and Purrs to you all!
Patti

Personally, I believe in weaning at some point before the kitten can
actually knock the mom down. This goes for people, too.

Theresa

Old September 28th 04, 02:01 PM
CatNipped

"LOL" wrote in message
om...
This afternoon I took Hubert to TED; as long as we were there, he had

Krista, I don't know about the droopy eye - but I wouldn't worry just yet.
Kittens sometimes exhibit quirks like that. I *would* keep an eye on it and
watch for any other symptoms he may exhibit, but if it would make you feel
better, and you can afford it without hurting, an exam by a kitty
neurologist wouldn't hurt either.

About the nursing - I would *NOT* listen to the vet's advice about this.
Moms of all species nurse for different, sometimes very long, periods of
time with no harm done to either mom or baby. As long as Talullah is
healthy and happy and Hubert is healthy and happy, why, *WHY* would the vet
want to distress them like that??!! As I've said to some worried human
parents about both continued nursing *and* potty training, I've never seen a
teenager in diapers and still nursing. This is something that will wane
naturally and at their own pace. When Lula feels it's time for Hubert to
stop nursing she will make sure he stops nursing!

Hugs,

CatNipped