(OT) The Squeaky Wheel Gets The Grease

Old July 19th 11, 01:59 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
jmcquown[_2_]

Default (OT) The Squeaky Wheel Gets The Grease

An Uplifting story

When I got my property tax bill for 2010 I was horrified to discover it was
more than three times above the year before. I called lots of people,
filled out lots of paperwork. In the end I still had to pay this outrageous
amount by the 15th. So I paid it. But meanwhile I'd been filing appeals.
That was about 6 months ago.

Fast foward to today. I got a letter in the mail saying the tax I paid was
wrong and I'm due a refund. Excellent! So I called and asked when I could
expect my check. She said, "Oh, it was in the same envelope. Sometimes the
checks stick to the side of the envelope." Yikes! I threw out the
envelope!

THE TRASH-MEN COMETH! (Really, they were just down the street.)

I sprinted to the end of the driveway (a little poetic license - it's
actually only about 50 feet so I don't need to sprint) and started digging
through the trash. The trash truck pulled up and the driver jumped out and
asked if there was something he could help me with. Yes, please! I'm
looking for a government envelope with a check inside. It should be right
near the top. He snagged it. "Is this it?" Yes, yes! Thank you! I said
I should give him a finders fee. He said, "The only thing I ask is that you
call my company and tell them W is doing a good job." And that's what I
did, the minute I got inside. I called and got in touch with his boss
and told her he's doing a great job.

Jill

Old July 19th 11, 02:24 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Joy

"jmcquown" wrote in message
[...]

Wow, that's great! And the timing couldn't have been better!

Joy

Old July 19th 11, 03:26 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
nobody

On Mon, 18 Jul 2011 20:59:45 -0400, "jmcquown"
wrote:

[...]

It's always a bit surprising, when you run into really nice people, in
your daily life.

They seem to be in short supply, these days.
Old July 19th 11, 03:47 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
CatNipped[_4_]

On 7/18/2011 7:59 PM, jmcquown wrote:
[...]

Good for him - and good for you for following through! Kudos!!

--
Hugs,

CatNipped

See the RPCA FAQ site, created by "Yowie", maintained by Mark Edwards, at:
http://www.professional-geek.net/rpcablog/

Old July 19th 11, 01:05 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
jmcquown[_2_]

wrote:

[...]

Where I live (now) people are very friendly. And helpful. Extremely
polite. It's certainly nothing like when I lived on the outskirts of
Memphis where rudeness rules

Jill

Old July 19th 11, 09:34 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Lesley[_4_]

On Jul 18, 5:519*pm, "jmcquown" wrote:

. *He said, "The only thing I ask is that you
call my company and tell them W is doing a good job." *And that's what I
did, the minute I got inside. *I called and got in touch with his boss
and told her he's doing a great job.

Good on you! When I worked in reatil I read some research that
showed if someone had bad customer service they told 8 people but if
they had good customer service they told 2 people. A while back when
I was sorting out a problem with the new washing machine Turned out
to be rubbish- had to buy a more expensive model- took over an hour
for the shop staff to sort out collecting the old model with a
customer service helpline that needed to know what the word "service"
meant at the end of it the guy gave me a discount for having to wait
around so long- when I got home I emailed the company and mentioned
the 3 staff involved by name saying "after the experience I had with
your phone helpdesk I would have gone somewhere else") When I next
went in there one of the assistants involved saw me and came up and
thanked me- they were singled out for praise at the staff meeting and
that made them feel good. I can relate,,,today at work as I was
walking through reception one of the receptionists pointed me out to a
patient and he rushed up saying "Are you Lesley?" and I said "Yes"
thinking "What now?" and he said "I'm N (can't mention names) and me
and my partner just want to say thank you for being so helpful all the
time...You're wonderful and we can't thank you enough"

I had a glow on me all day

Lesley

Slave of the Fabulous Furball (But not for very much longer- I've got
to keep control")
Old July 19th 11, 10:58 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Joy

"Lesley" wrote in message
[...]

***

A few months ago I used the self checkout at a local supermarket. Usually I
have no trouble doing so, but on this particular day, I had one problem
after another, and at least some of the problems were my fault. The market
always has an employee in the vicinity of these machines, both to help when
needed, and to make sure nobody sneaks items out without paying for them.

On this particular day, the woman who was watching had to help me several
times. During all of this, she was pleasant and polite, never even hinting
that I had caused any of the problems. As I got ready to leave, I asked her
name. When I got home, I wrote a letter to the company, praising her for
her help and her attitude, and asking that she be given a copy of the letter
and that a copy be put into her personnel file. I got a response assuring
me that both things were done. That made me feel good.

Joy

Old July 20th 11, 12:33 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
jmcquown[_2_]

"Joy" wrote in message
"Lesley" wrote in message
[...]

It's wonderful to pass on good feedback. It feels good to you and it
certainly doesn't hurt the employee!

Jill

Old July 20th 11, 12:33 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
hopitus[_2_]

On Jul 19, 3:58*pm, "Joy" wrote:
"Lesley" wrote in message

[...]

When given outstanding service (and sometimes just because I like
someone who is a familiar
face where I shop) I will go directly to the acting manager, wait if
necessary while he/she is fetched,
and lay my satisfaction tace-to-face on manager. I'm not much on
written communication since stamps
are now $.44 no matter what.
I just sail past those "self-service" checkout lanes, as it annoys me
to no end to deal with
the machinery involved, which I would never trust to catch all my
"mark-downs" from that little corner;
the crowds that gather around the uninformed customers requiring
personnel assistance and always
getting well-meaning but equally duh fellow customers;
the bottom line which is it would take me 3 times as long to "self-
service" as I only shop twice a month
and have very large totals and merchandise quantities and
I don't mind at all waiting in line to checkout with a familiar
cashier who after all is being paid by the
store to do their job there, and always honors my fistfuls of discount
coupons.
But to each their own preferences.
Old July 20th 11, 12:48 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Joy

"hopitus" wrote in message
On Jul 19, 3:58 pm, "Joy" wrote:
"Lesley" wrote in message

[...]

My purchases often don't even fill the one tote bag I take in for them, so
checking out doesn't take long. Usually I can manage it without problems,
and I much prefer it to standing in line. As you said, to each their own.

I have found that it is almost always possible to send a letter of
commendation by email, which is what I do. That way, there is (or, at
least, should be) a permanent record of my comments.

Joy