SAD: Mr. Lenny at Rainbo Brij

Old July 18th 03, 03:53 AM
spike&stormy

Oh deer. We iz furry sorry tu heer dat Mr. Lenny hadda go tu da Bridj.
We hoped it wood be offurwize. We sends manymany purrs fur Mr. Lenny an
fur hiz sadsad fambly.

Spike & Stormy

fourcats wrote:

Hello all - pardon if this is a double-post, my usual newsfeed seems
to be down. Also, I don't feel up to having Panda write just now, but
my three girl-kitties are all purring along. Most of the below is
from the email to friends and family I send last evening:

I just had to say goodbye to my wonderful Lenny-cat, who closed his
big
blue Meezer eyes for the last time late this afternoon, with a little
gentle help from his Dr. Bonnie at the cat hospital. Lenny was 16 and
had
been with me for 11 years since he and his pal Lucy were adopted from
the
Guelph Humane Society after a 3.5 month stay there in 1992. I'd taken
him
in for surgery today to see if we could do anything - we were pretty
sure
there was a tumour of some sort - but it was as bad as we feared and I
had
agreed with Bonnie ahead of time that if he couldn't come back to a
reasonable length and quality of life with us that we should let him
go
without waking him up.

She called me shortly after I got home from leaving him there to let
me
know. It was obvious right away that there was advanced tumour
progression all through his abdomen.

My only regret is that the choice to try and do all we could meant I
couldn't stay with him until the very end, but I had to try, and I
know he
was in caring hands all the way. He actually had an enjoyable last
afternoon. He was already on some pain medication as we knew he was
hurting a couple weeks back. We had a purr and cuddle on the bed
before
we left, and as the surgeon was late getting to the clinic, I stayed
with
him and he spent some time curled in a basket in the clinic's gigantic
cat
tree installation watching a squirrel outside the window. The three
cats
who live in the clinic were very kind about sharing their bed and
water
bowl.

If you knew Lenny, you know his only fault was a predisposition to be
barfy, though in his last two weeks he wasn't able to eat enough to
throw
up. In an ironically fitting memorial, my Panda, who in 7 years I
have
not known to do worse than a hiccup, barfed the biggest hairball I've
ever
seen in my office just minutes after we got the news. I can't see
straight between the tears, slightly hysterical laughter, and carpet
cleaner fumes.

Peace, everyone. I'm going to finish cleaning the Lenny Memorial
Hairball,
then Lucy, Panda, Sprout and I are going to go curl up with a cup of
tea
and a book.

Johanna
Ms. Lucy
Panda-ov-Mourning-Toes
an' da Sprout!

Old July 18th 03, 01:40 PM
JSmith4973

Honey, I am so damned sorry.
Jeanne
Old July 18th 03, 09:02 PM
fourcats

Thanks, Joan, and everybody...

I'm actually better today than I was most of the 4-5 days leading up
to this... I was aware of what the worst could be, but had hoped for
better. I was already grieving anticipating this. At least it feels
now that I can mourn properly.

Lenny and Lucy were the first two cats of my adulthood (read: not the
'family' cats from my parents home), and Lenny is the first I have
lost, and the first for whom I ever had to make such a terrible
decision. I did have to have my Jazmyn rat put to sleep a few years
ago, but she had had a stroke and lost all control and responsiveness,
it was an easier decision. Even then I cried for days. Lenny was
still all my old Lenny, just weakening and in pain from the cancer.
With the fentanyl patch, he would still eagerly hobble to his
waterfountain, my glass, or the clinic cats' bowls (anything but his
own water bowl), and he never missed his litter box, weak as he was.
He purred for me and hissed at strange cats (not really meaning it,
just to be brave) to his very last day.

It's hard. Of the 4 cats, he was the most intensely interactive and
devoted. I'm realizing how many of the things I loved, talked about,
shared, about "my cats" were really about "my Lenny". I love all my
kitties, but Lenny's intensity was such a big part of our family
dynamic, things will be very different without him. And as we mourn,
of course, the different feels like "worse" while this big gap is
still so fresh.

I hope Poppacat knows not to get mad if Lenny hisses - it's just
bravado, it was there until his emaciated little body stopped
entirely. He doesn't mean it and he really loves being with other
cats.

I think I gotta get more kleenex out of the staff room, and should get
back to work. More as I can manage it, friends -

Johanna
an' de Furrsome ThreeGirls.
Da Koster Katz wrote in message ...
fourcats wrote:

Peace, everyone. I'm going to finish cleaning the Lenny Memorial
Hairball,
then Lucy, Panda, Sprout and I are going to go curl up with a cup of
tea
and a book.

Johanna
Ms. Lucy
Panda-ov-Mourning-Toes
an' da Sprout!

Aw, hisspitt! I didn't see this when the cats posted their response in
the other thread.

You KNOW that I understand, Johanna. Poppa and Mr. Lenny are probably
right now rockin' and rollin' at the Bridge, happy as our little guys
can be.

{{{{{Johanna}}}}}

Joan, off to light her Rainbow Bridge candles for Mr. Lenny

*four tabbies and a tuxedo cat snuggle back down in the meatloaf
position, and resume their purrs with a slightly different tone*

Be happy, Mr. Lenny.

Junior, Bitsy, Baby, Cinni an Cookie

Old July 20th 03, 10:08 PM
Carol

(fourcats) wrote in message . com...
[...]

We's purrin fur all of you, you gave Lenny a good life. It's so
touching how Panda chose to morn, I wonder if he did it to see you
smile again!
Old July 23rd 03, 06:43 AM
fourcats

Fangu again, deer Mietze.

Meomwa is all misty-monitored agin, she jus' red da whole walk fru.
So menny voices she knew, she sez (she been on ar-pee-cee-cee sinze
1992, wen it was jes' ar-pee-cee....). Effen tho sad, it is a onner
for us to haf ower Lenny cownted among so menny fine fur-friends.

Fangu,

Panda ov Sombre Toes

(The Clowder (South)) wrote in message
an' Ms. Lucy, da Sprout! and meowmie Johanna

Kitties no whut's besstist in deeze sircumstansis. Wee miss owr
fambly, ov cors, but wee no wee'ze all gonna meeet agin.

Wee will keeep purrrrrin fur yurmom's hart.

Yur Lenny's brik is in plays now, an hee will bee a Onoree at da
Jellicle Ball in Oktoburr.

Mietze

Old July 24th 03, 12:28 AM
The Clowder

Dat's how mymom feeels bowt it, too. Wee fownd da old rpc in 95, but
mostly lurrkd fur a longtime. Dere are too memfurs frum mine House
onda Walk an dey beelong wiff frends, da noo wuns anda old.

Mietze

Old July 31st 03, 02:54 AM
Arlene Knop

Oh, this is furry sad. Ize bin away frum rpcc fur awile and just saw
this messij. I knew Mr. Lenny fur a longlong time. Ize shoor he knew
yer luv wuz wif him all thuh way to thuh bridj and is still strong
today. He haz lotsa old frendz to play wif up ther so he iz not alone.

Gretchen Marie, ligting thuh speshul candul in remembranz