5 pound containers of cat litter in DC Metro area or Maryland?

Old March 5th 07, 02:29 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
CJ

Default 5 pound containers of cat litter in DC Metro area or Maryland?

In the DC/suburban MD area, where I live, most of the stores seem to
have stopped carrying the 5 pound plastic containers of clumpable cat
litter. Now, the smallest I can find is the 14 pound containers.
Anyone know where the 5 pound containers can still be purchased in DC
or suburban MD?

Thanks,
CJ

Old March 5th 07, 02:36 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
cindys

"CJ" wrote in message
oups.com...
In the DC/suburban MD area, where I live, most of the stores seem to
have stopped carrying the 5 pound plastic containers of clumpable cat
litter. Now, the smallest I can find is the 14 pound containers.
Anyone know where the 5 pound containers can still be purchased in DC
or suburban MD?

----------
I can't help you find what you're looking for, but I just wanted to add that
I am also having difficulty finding 7-pound containers (I never saw 5-pound
containers). I have a very bad back, and even though I have five cats, it
was worth it to me to pay a little more money for the convenience of smaller
containers (that I could carry up the stairs without killing myself). I
always wondered how elderly people managed with these 14-pound containers.
Best regards,
---Cindy S.

Old March 5th 07, 02:58 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
zinzee

On Mar 5, 9:36 am, "cindys" wrote:
"CJ" wrote in message

oups.com... In the DC/suburban MD area, where I live, most of the stores seem to
have stopped carrying the 5 pound plastic containers of clumpable cat
litter. Now, the smallest I can find is the 14 pound containers.
Anyone know where the 5 pound containers can still be purchased in DC
or suburban MD?

----------
I can't help you find what you're looking for, but I just wanted to add that
I am also having difficulty finding 7-pound containers (I never saw 5-pound
containers). I have a very bad back, and even though I have five cats, it
was worth it to me to pay a little more money for the convenience of smaller
containers (that I could carry up the stairs without killing myself). I
always wondered how elderly people managed with these 14-pound containers.
Best regards,
---Cindy S.

Do you live in an area where it can be delivered? I will check at my
local pet store and let you know what my findings are.

Best,
Heather

Old March 5th 07, 03:39 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
CJ

Hi, Cindy. Yes, I was probably talking about 7 pound containers. 5,
7, whatever, I can't find them. Same issue, by the way, bad back....

Someone else suggested trying mail order, I'll have to do that, I
guess.

CJ

Old March 5th 07, 03:42 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
cindys

"zinzee" wrote in message
ups.com...
On Mar 5, 9:36 am, "cindys" wrote:
"CJ" wrote in message

[...]

-----------
Are you directing this to CJ or to me? If you are directing this to me,
thank you, but I have learned to recruit my sons to carry the containers up
the stairs. It was more convenient for me to buy the smaller containers when
they were available, but (with a bit of prodding) my sons are willing to
carry the larger ones up the stairs for me. I have thought about having cat
litter delivered (even if we are talking about the 14-pound containers) as I
buy a lot of cat litter, and it would be nice to have it brought to my door
rather than dealing with lifting multiple containers off the supermarket
shelves, into the cart, then later loading it into my car and unloading it
at my house (because it is hard on my back). I guess I just assumed that the
delivery charges would be very high. I think I may look into it however.
Thank you.
Best regards,
---Cindy S.

Old March 5th 07, 05:39 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
zinzee

On Mar 5, 10:42 am, "cindys" wrote:
"zinzee" wrote in message

ups.com...

On Mar 5, 9:36 am, "cindys" wrote:
"CJ" wrote in message

groups.com... In the
[...]

Cindy, I was directing it to both of you, really.

Petco.com is having a shipping event with $6.95 flat-rate shipping for
your entire order. Though, there is a surcharge for litter of 20
cents per pound. However, if you sign up for google shopping and this
is your first order through them, you get $10 off! I signed up for
google shopping but didn't see anything I needed right away. I think
I finally found what I can use my $10 discount on!

Is Scoop Away a good brand? They also have Nature's Miracle litter.
I use Nature's Miracle products to sprinkle on the litter and have
their other products just in case the rebel ever comes out in my
kitty. I've never used their litter, but I'm temped to try it based
on the effectiveness of the litter treatment powder.

Best,
Heather

Old March 5th 07, 05:51 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
mlbriggs

On Mon, 05 Mar 2007 09:36:51 -0500, cindys wrote:

"CJ" wrote in message
[...]

I have considered delivery. However, you still have to be able to carry
it from the door to wherever it is used. I haven't seen the smaller
containers in a couple of years. When my youngest grandson shopped for
me, he found a "great buy" on 20 pound containers. Needless to say I
could not even budge it. I had to use a cup and place smaller amounts
into another container in order to transport it to the litter pan. I do
have trouble with the 14 pound containers too. Nothing is "easy". MLB

Old March 5th 07, 06:02 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
cindys

"zinzee" wrote in message
oups.com...

snip

Cindy, I was directing it to both of you, really.

Petco.com is having a shipping event with $6.95 flat-rate shipping for
your entire order. Though, there is a surcharge for litter of 20
cents per pound. However, if you sign up for google shopping and this
is your first order through them, you get $10 off! I signed up for
google shopping but didn't see anything I needed right away. I think
I finally found what I can use my $10 discount on!

Is Scoop Away a good brand? They also have Nature's Miracle litter.
I use Nature's Miracle products to sprinkle on the litter and have
their other products just in case the rebel ever comes out in my
kitty. I've never used their litter, but I'm temped to try it based
on the effectiveness of the litter treatment powder.

----------
I use the local supermarket brand of crystal blend cat litter. If they are
out of stock, I will buy the Tidy Cat Crystal Blend. The only difference
that I can see (other than the fact that the Tidy Cat container is
recyclable and the supermarket brand container isn't) is that the
supermarket brand is about $1.50 cheaper for 14 pounds. I have five cats and
six litterboxes, so you can imagine the odor potential. I was previously
using regular scoopable litter with deodorizers. No matter how much I
cleaned the litterboxes, the litterboxes still reeked. I was embarassed to
let anyone come upstairs in my house. With the crystal blend litter, there
is almost zero odor in either the open litterboxes or the covered
litterboxes.

When Molly was so sick and had taken to using the corner of the living room
for a litterbox, I compromised by putting a covered litter box in the
hallway off my kitchen, which she was willing to use (most of the time).
There was zero odor coming from that box, and when I took the cover off to
clean it, I couldn't smell any bad odors. The crystals seem to absorb all
the odors.

In the past, I have also used the all-crystal litter. That worked great in
terms of absorption and odor control (despite the expense), but my cats
didn't really like it, and finally Amanda refused to use the litter box
entirely. Once I provided a box or two with the traditional clumping litter,
Amanda (and all the other cats) started using the traditional clumping
litter boxes only and would not use the all-crystal litter boxes at all, so
I started buying only the traditional clumping litter again, but the odor
was horrendous (no matter how much I cleaned the boxes). The crystal blend
has been a great compromise and works out great. At this point, I would not
consider any cat litter that was not a crystal blend. I don't know if Scoop
Away makes one or not. I know that Tidy Cat does. I have never tried
Nature's Miracle cat litter at all, but their enzymatic cleaner works great
on "accidents."
Best regards,
---Cindy S.

Old March 5th 07, 07:38 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Rene S.

On Mar 5, 8:36 am, "cindys" wrote:
"CJ" wrote in message

oups.com... In the DC/suburban MD area, where I live, most of the stores seem to
have stopped carrying the 5 pound plastic containers of clumpable cat
litter. Now, the smallest I can find is the 14 pound containers.
Anyone know where the 5 pound containers can still be purchased in DC
or suburban MD?

I don't live near you, but have you tried Walgreens? As of a couple of
months ago, they still carried 7 lb containers.

Old March 5th 07, 08:21 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
cybercat

"CJ" wrote in message
oups.com...
In the DC/suburban MD area, where I live, most of the stores seem to
have stopped carrying the 5 pound plastic containers of clumpable cat
litter. Now, the smallest I can find is the 14 pound containers.
Anyone know where the 5 pound containers can still be purchased in DC
or suburban MD?

What do you do with five pounds of litter?

Must give up cat in maryland javadude Cat rescue 5 December 28th 05 11:47 PM
At the pound Norm Cat anecdotes 1 June 10th 05 10:07 PM
Hot Day in Maryland Cheryl Cat anecdotes 8 May 25th 04 12:57 AM
Pound uthinasia muffin Cat rescue 10 May 16th 04 07:37 PM
watering containers Mike Ballard Cat health & behaviour 10 January 26th 04 03:25 PM