Ping: Andy

Old June 21st 08, 05:39 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Susan M[_3_]

Default Ping: Andy

How are Frank and Lyle doing? Is Lyle getting braver?

Susan M
Otis and Chester
Old June 21st 08, 04:13 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Outsider

Susan M wrote in news:6c3f09F3dj53nU1
@mid.individual.net:

How are Frank and Lyle doing? Is Lyle getting braver?

Susan M
Otis and Chester

I guess I would have posted an update sooner if I could figure out where to
start. As far as Lyle goes he is certainly doing much better. It used to
be that as soon as I sat down in a room he would take off. He was ok if I
was standing but as soon as I sat he felt more threatened (what's up with
that?!). He would almost never come into the bedroom if I was there. I
could pet him on the floor but if I knelt down so as not to damage my back
he was gone; he would high-tail it out of the room. Even on the rare
occasions I could pet him and get him to roll over for a tummy rub he would
all of a sudden get bugged and run off quickly.

Lyle now: He comes up to me all the time for petting and if I kneel down
next to him he does not get frightened and run off. On a rare moment when
I am petting him and he gets frightened (he has some kind of memory, I
think) he just moves a foot or two away and then comes back. Just
yesterday I picked him up and held him at my side about two feet off the
floor and stroked him. I could feel he was nervous but he did not panic
and when I put him down he stayed with me. He comes into the bedroom while
I am in there but still wont stay long. He has jumped on the bed while I
was in it but as soon as he realized what he did jumped back off. When he
is up on his window shelf I can stand next to it and he comes nose to nose
with me. He is many times the first to come out and greet me when I get
home. All in all he is doing great and I fully expect he will feel full
comfort soon.

As for _Frank_. Frank waits on his spot next to the bed or on the dresser
and when he sees me head toward the bed jumps on the bed first and expects
total petting and tummy rubbing as long as I can offer them (well, he
expects that stuff no matter where he is). I can pick him up and carry him
around and I have trimmed his claws. I took a large series of photos of
him on the dresser where there is enough light to turn off the flash and as
I was clicking away he starts meowing complaint that I was _not_ petting
him as I should while in his "space". When I leave the apartment I close
the bedroom and Frank comes out as soon as I snap my fingers for him which
Zak used to do also.

They both still play every day and still get along great. I am so proud of
both of them and feel very lucky and when I remember the two of them at the
no-kill shelter can't imagine how they could have stayed almost a year with
no one taking them. With all those stripes and spots and all those amazing
colors and sweet disposition I feel like I walked off with the prize before
anyone had a chance to compete. Check my flickr site for a few new pics.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/outsider1955

Andy (a lucky d*g)

Old June 21st 08, 08:36 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
[email protected]

outsider wrote:

As far as Lyle goes he is certainly doing much better. It used to
be that as soon as I sat down in a room he would take off. He was ok if I
was standing but as soon as I sat he felt more threatened (what's up with
that?!).

No kidding! Most cats I've known are the opposite. They're leery when
I'm standing, but when I sit down, then they amble toward me.

As for _Frank_. Frank waits on his spot next to the bed or on the dresser
and when he sees me head toward the bed jumps on the bed first and expects
total petting and tummy rubbing as long as I can offer them (well, he
expects that stuff no matter where he is). I can pick him up and carry him
around and I have trimmed his claws. I took a large series of photos of
him on the dresser where there is enough light to turn off the flash and as
I was clicking away he starts meowing complaint that I was _not_ petting
him as I should while in his "space". When I leave the apartment I close
the bedroom and Frank comes out as soon as I snap my fingers for him which
Zak used to do also.

He sounds like he's adjusted to being spoiled quite well.

With all those stripes and spots and all those amazing
colors and sweet disposition I feel like I walked off with the prize before
anyone had a chance to compete.

Lucky you!

--
Joyce

To email me, remove the triple-X from my user name. ^..^
Old June 22nd 08, 04:59 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Marina

outsider wrote:

I guess I would have posted an update sooner if I could figure out where to
start.

snip update

Andy (a lucky d*g)

Thanks for the update, Andy. That is weird about Lyle. Every cat (and
d*g) that I've ever known preferred sitting people to standing people.
Glad to hear he's improving and learning to truly trust you. Frank
obviously knows he owns the place. And you're a great cat dad for making
him a special bed on your dresser.

Old June 22nd 08, 05:08 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Outsider

Marina wrote in
:

Thanks for the update, Andy. That is weird about Lyle. Every cat (and
d*g) that I've ever known preferred sitting people to standing people.

I can imagine all sorts of reasons he could have gotten this way but they
are no pleasant so I don't go there. I just try to let him see he is
always safe where he is now.

Old June 22nd 08, 10:15 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Susan M[_3_]

outsider wrote:
Susan M wrote in news:6c3f09F3dj53nU1

snip

[...]

Great shots of Frank! He looks so ridiculously comfortable and like he
just owns the place. Congratulations on doing such a fine job with them
and for giving them such a happy forever home. Can't wait to read that
Lyle gets fully comfortable soon too. I'm sure he will!

Susan M
Otis and Chester

Old June 23rd 08, 05:33 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Outsider

Susan M wrote in
:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/outsider1955

Andy (a lucky d*g)

Great shots of Frank! He looks so ridiculously comfortable and like
he just owns the place. Congratulations on doing such a fine job with
them and for giving them such a happy forever home. Can't wait to
read that Lyle gets fully comfortable soon too. I'm sure he will!

Susan M
Otis and Chester

Thanks. I am also sure about Lyle, I see a change every day.

Old June 24th 08, 09:41 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
polonca12000

outsider wrote:
I guess I would have posted an update sooner if I could figure out where to
start. As far as Lyle goes he is certainly doing much better. snip
They both still play every day and still get along great. I am so proud of
both of them and feel very lucky and when I remember the two of them at the
no-kill shelter can't imagine how they could have stayed almost a year with
no one taking them. With all those stripes and spots and all those amazing
colors and sweet disposition I feel like I walked off with the prize before
anyone had a chance to compete. Check my flickr site for a few new pics.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/outsider1955

Andy (a lucky d*g)

Great news!
Best wishes,
Polonca and Soncek
Old June 25th 08, 12:01 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Outsider

polonca12000 wrote in
:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/outsider1955

Andy (a lucky d*g)

Great news!
Best wishes,
Polonca and Soncek

Thanks! The last few mornings Lyle is laying on or just under my desk
chair a few feet from the bed watching me "sleep". As soon as he sees me
open my eyes he heads out of the room.