Health insurance

Old April 29th 10, 07:02 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Christina Websell[_2_]

Default Health insurance

How many of you take this out for your cats?
I decided I wouldn't but instead I decided when I got KFC & Boyfie I would
set aside an amount per month to go from my salary into a special account
for them.
It has always covered every vets bill they ever had and Boyfie could now get
ill to the amount that it's unlikely that his bank account could not pay for
it.
I would recommend that everyone does this - it saves arguing about what or
what not the insurance people decide to cover and it doesn't cost any more
than the premium if you start it early.
Boyfie has a lot of money in his account now. He's 7 and he is fine, but
his vet account is there for him as he ages and is increased every month.

Tweed

Old April 29th 10, 07:10 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Cheryl P.[_2_]

Christina Websell wrote:
How many of you take this out for your cats?
I decided I wouldn't but instead I decided when I got KFC & Boyfie I would
set aside an amount per month to go from my salary into a special account
for them.
It has always covered every vets bill they ever had and Boyfie could now get
ill to the amount that it's unlikely that his bank account could not pay for
it.
I would recommend that everyone does this - it saves arguing about what or
what not the insurance people decide to cover and it doesn't cost any more
than the premium if you start it early.
Boyfie has a lot of money in his account now. He's 7 and he is fine, but
his vet account is there for him as he ages and is increased every month.

Tweed

I don't. I looked into it years ago and decided it wasn't worth the cost
since the policy I looked at had a lot of things - mostly fairly
commonplace - that weren't covered.

Mostly, I've just paid for their care as I went, but I have now started
tucking a little bit away earmarked specifically for them. There isn't
enough to pay for very much yet, but it's there and, as you say, growing.

--
Cheryl
Old April 30th 10, 12:53 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
jmcquown[_2_]

"Christina Websell" wrote in message
How many of you take this out for your cats?
I decided I wouldn't but instead I decided when I got KFC & Boyfie I would
set aside an amount per month to go from my salary into a special account
for them.
It has always covered every vets bill they ever had and Boyfie could now
get ill to the amount that it's unlikely that his bank account could not
pay for it.
I would recommend that everyone does this - it saves arguing about what or
what not the insurance people decide to cover and it doesn't cost any more
than the premium if you start it early.
Boyfie has a lot of money in his account now. He's 7 and he is fine, but
his vet account is there for him as he ages and is increased every month.

Tweed

I have money in an account for Persia.

Some years ago, before I moved here, I looked into pet insurance for Persia.
This was probably 6 years ago. Try reading their literature. The terms and
exclusions, and the way these pet insurance policies are written, is
convoluted to say the least. I was a licensed (people) health insurance
agent for years. No, I didn't sell health insurance, but I had to
understand the workings of it. I *know* how to read an insurance policy.

Maybe things have changed but the pet insurance information I read back
then, well, they didn't cover much of anything. It seemed as if your cat
had done so much as throw up they'd exclude coverage for all sorts of
things, calling it a "pre-existing condition." Unlike people insurance, in
which some group plans will cover pre-existing conditions after a year of
the last recurrance, most pet insurance policies will never cover them. And
their definition of "pre-existing" is very broad.

I do hope things have changed. I hope these companies aren't just out to
take advantage of people who love their pets and want to take care of them
but also not go broke trying to do so. I guess I'm cynical. I need to hear
from some people who have actually used pet insurance and found it to be
worthwhile.

Persia always comes first, even if that account gets depleted. She's my
sweet grey girl

Jill

Old April 30th 10, 06:48 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Stormmee

exactly how we are, we keep emergency money for this sort of thing, not
seperate but still its there, i know some things are just too expensive but
most any regular aging type thing or like tv's er trip for his hear event
were not even decided on the basis of money. Lee

Old April 30th 10, 10:05 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Lesley

On 30 Apr, 00:53, "jmcquown" wrote:
.. *And
their definition of "pre-existing" is very broad.

A few months ago there was a case in the paper where a horse insurance
company refused to pay out because the dead pony had a "pre-existing"
condition . The pony was killed when a driver collided with the
horsebox and tipped it over- the owner of the pony didn't see what
some minor "pre-existing" condition had to do with being in a horsebox
that got hit by a car

Lesley

Slave of the Fabulous Furballs
Old April 30th 10, 11:53 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Cheryl P.[_2_]

Jack Campin - bogus address wrote:
How many of you take this out for your cats?

Not us.

The local amateur rugby club used to have a big sign on the wall
of their clubhouse saying they were supported by a pet insurance
firm. I figured that if they had that much money to give away,
they had to be a ripoff.

It's not just health insurance. Yesterday I got a mailing from my bank
announcing that the average funeral in Canada costs $10,000 and the
death benefit from Canada Pension is only - I forget, $2,000? - and they
could sell me funeral insurance so my next of kin won't have worries of
problems if the 'unexpected' happens.

But after a couple family deaths a while back, I visited a local funeral
home, placed my order (for a lot less than $10,000!!), and started
putting money aside to pay for it.

I wonder how many people buy $10,000 worth of insurance for an 'average'
funeral because the letter said they should?

Then again, it is a big expense - one of my office-mates is helping her
brother's family pay off his funeral right now.

--
Cheryl
Old April 30th 10, 12:17 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
---MIKE---

Default Health insurance OT

Wanting to spare my relatives any expense, I joined the cremation
society of NH and paid in advance for my cremation ($1,000). They will
even pick up my body once the death certificate is signed. This may
sound a bit morbid but after all I am 80 years old.

---MIKE---
In the White Mountains of New Hampshire
(44° 15' N - Elevation 1580')

Old April 30th 10, 01:37 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Stormmee

one of the two most important things you can do for loved ones... the other
is get rid of your clutter, if it isn't organised they will just throw it
out... it is very very painful if you don't have a spouse to deal with it...
i had to help a dear friend's daughter do this and have been traumatized
beyond words because of it, Lee

Old April 30th 10, 04:28 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
jmcquown[_2_]

"Lesley" wrote in message
On 30 Apr, 00:53, "jmcquown" wrote:
.. And
their definition of "pre-existing" is very broad.

A few months ago there was a case in the paper where a horse insurance
company refused to pay out because the dead pony had a "pre-existing"
condition . The pony was killed when a driver collided with the
horsebox and tipped it over- the owner of the pony didn't see what
some minor "pre-existing" condition had to do with being in a horsebox
that got hit by a car

Lesley

Slave of the Fabulous Furballs

My point exactly! Some of these companies will use *any* excuse not to pay
a claim. I'm not willing to pay premiums to any pet insurance company
without a recommendations from someone I know (which of course includes
everyone here!).

Maybe we should all get together and form our own company

Jill