Why are my cats so small?

Old July 28th 05, 07:02 AM
jmcquown

Flippy wrote:
Hi Tweed,

My Chloe and Tiffy are small too - Chloe and Tiffy are under 9
pounds, Romeo is about 11 pounds, Juliet is about 14 pounds and
Jetson is about 16 pounds. I think it just depends on the cat. Like
people, cats come in all shapes and sizes.

Indeed! Just look at the size of those [big] cats in Africa and Asia! G

Jill

"Christina Websell" wrote ...
I have read posts about cats on the group that are often 14 lbs up
to in the 20's, particularly USA cats.
Compared with this, mine are miniscule. Boyfriend is around 7-8
pounds and KFC is 4ish. They both have access to all the gooshy and
dry food that they might want and catch and eat der birdies too.
They are both healthy at their weight. They both look just right.
Slim and lithe hunting kitties.
Should I worry that they aren't heavier?
No wormies nor fleas thanks to Stronghold.

Tweed

Old July 28th 05, 07:51 AM
jmcquown

Christina Websell wrote:
I have read posts about cats on the group that are often 14 lbs up to
in the 20's, particularly USA cats.
Compared with this, mine are miniscule. Boyfriend is around 7-8
pounds and KFC is 4ish. They both have access to all the gooshy and
dry food that they might want and catch and eat der birdies too.
They are both healthy at their weight. They both look just right.
Slim and lithe hunting kitties.
Should I worry that they aren't heavier?
No wormies nor fleas thanks to Stronghold.

Tweed

Some cats are just small. My oldest brother has a cat named Neferkitty who
looks like a kitten even though she's at least 10 years old now; she *might*
weigh 7 lbs.

On the other hand, we have Persia, who is 18 lbs (and definitely overweight,
I'm working on it! really! *I'm* the one who needs the discipline when it
comes to feeding her!) But when she stretches out her full length she's not
that far from being almost a meter long (not counting her tail) She's a big
cat even when she's not "fluffy" And when she meatloafs... let's just
say if I ever baked a meatloaf that size it would feed at least 10 people!

[Note to self: buy ingredients for meatloaf.]

Jill

Old July 28th 05, 01:53 PM
Lesley

Christina Websell wrote:
I have read posts about cats on the group that are often 14 lbs up to in the
20's, particularly USA cats.
Compared with this, mine are miniscule.

Redunzel and Sarrasine are also small. Redunzel just about clears 7 lbs
and Sarrasine is just under. However they are perfectly healthy and not
under or over weight. Their mother was even smaller when I saw a
picture of her having previously had Isis, Fugazi and Speedy Joe all of
whom were in the 10 lbs + range I couldn't believe she could be
pregnant- she was only the size of a small kitten!

Lesley

Slave of the Fabulous (Petite) Furballs

Old July 28th 05, 02:09 PM
Victor Martinez

Christina Websell wrote:
I have read posts about cats on the group that are often 14 lbs up to in the
20's, particularly USA cats.

Our cats verage from 8 (Maya) to 12 1/2 (Fez) pounds in weight. Our
beloved Quetzie (RB) was close to 20 lbs on his last vet visit, but he
was not fat, he was just a big cat. A big tub-o-butter. I miss my baby
boy.

--
Victor M. Martinez
Send your spam he

Old July 28th 05, 02:17 PM
badwilson

Christina Websell wrote:
I have read posts about cats on the group that are often 14 lbs up

in the 20's, particularly USA cats.
Compared with this, mine are miniscule. Boyfriend is around 7-8
pounds and KFC is 4ish. They both have access to all the gooshy and
dry food that they might want and catch and eat der birdies too.
They are both healthy at their weight. They both look just right.
Slim and lithe hunting kitties.
Should I worry that they aren't heavier?
No wormies nor fleas thanks to Stronghold.

Tweed

Some cats are just smaller. Here in Thailand, cats are really small.
And I'm not just talking about the starving strays. Even the "owned"
and well fed cats have that small lean look. It's just genetic. At
12 lbs, Vino is a real giant here. People also freak out when I tell
them he is 7 years old. I guess that's unheard of old around here.
Sheesh, he's still got at least another 20 years in him ;-)
Maybe cats in the US all have a bit of Maine Coon in them from way
back?
--
Britta
"There is no snooze button on a cat who wants breakfast." -- Unknown

Old July 28th 05, 06:47 PM

On Wed, 27 Jul 2005 20:56:43 +0100, "Christina Websell"
wrote:

I have read posts about cats on the group that are often 14 lbs up to in the
20's, particularly USA cats.
Compared with this, mine are miniscule. Boyfriend is around 7-8 pounds and
KFC is 4ish. They both have access to all the gooshy and dry food that they
might want and catch and eat der birdies too.
They are both healthy at their weight. They both look just right. Slim and
lithe hunting kitties.
Should I worry that they aren't heavier?
No wormies nor fleas thanks to Stronghold.

Tweed

I think it depends on their in utero experience, early growing up
eating habits/food, genetics, and who knows what else? My brood range
from about 8 lbs. (Internet) to 14-15 lbs. (Brando), with everyone
else somewhere in between. I think 8 lbs. is about the average cat
weight, IIRC.

Ginger-lyn

Home Pages:
http://www.spiritrealm.com/summer/
Animals in Movies Website)
Old July 28th 05, 08:12 PM
Christina Websell

"Takayuki" wrote in message
"Christina Websell" wrote:

Compared with this, mine are miniscule. Boyfriend is around 7-8 pounds
and
KFC is 4ish. They both have access to all the gooshy and dry food that
they
might want and catch and eat der birdies too.

Four lbs sounds like a small cat. How cute!

Kitty FC is very small indeed. She would slash you immediately if you
called her "cute." She is a tiny tuxedo terrorist.

Betty is 8.5 lbs, and I
consider her to be small, but she's the only cat I've had. She looks
smaller than most human infants I've seen, so in my mind, she's
"small".

Sometimes, when I pick Betty up, there's a set of exclamations that I
ritually make about her attributes as I carry her around. One of them
goes: "How small! How teeny-tiny! How wonderful! How beautiful!"
And repeat.

I would like to be able to do this with Kitty. I used to love sweeping up
my whippets from the floor into my arms and singing them their own special
song, they all had one. Oh, just silly embarrassing songs, you know, but
they seemed to like it.
Kitty is too fierce to allow it, 4lbs of pure terror. I picked her up a
couple of times and even got a photo, but she was not best pleased.
Boyfriend is very shy, I also picked him up to get a photo, and did, but it
was clear that he was trying to get down.

Kitty came first so I thought her size was normal. So when BF arrived as
far as I was concerned he was *huge*!!

Tweed

Old July 28th 05, 09:08 PM
Christina Websell

"Kreisleriana" wrote in message
On Wed, 27 Jul 2005 21:37:20 +0100, "Christina Websell"
yodeled:

"CatNipped" wrote in message
"Christina Websell" wrote in
message
I have read posts about cats on the group that are often 14 lbs up to
in
the
20's, particularly USA cats.
Compared with this, mine are miniscule. Boyfriend is around 7-8 pounds
and
KFC is 4ish. They both have access to all the gooshy and dry food that
they
might want and catch and eat der birdies too.
They are both healthy at their weight. They both look just right.
Slim
and
lithe hunting kitties.
Should I worry that they aren't heavier?
No wormies nor fleas thanks to Stronghold.

Tweed

Nope. Jessie, 6, and Demi, 7, are 7.55 pounds and 7.25 pounds. 4
pounds
is
small, but I don't think it's abnormal for some cats. What does your
vet
say?

Hugs,

CatNipped

What, apart from please don't bring that little KFC back until it's really
necessary? ;-)

LOL. Reminds me of my tiny Mimi always squirting out of the vet's
grasp, and heading for the hills, holding the vet at bay under the
table, and TED sighing "It's *always* the little ones."

Tiny black & white tuxedo girls ROCK!

Kitty Farmcat

Old July 29th 05, 05:01 AM
W. Leong

"badwilson" wrote in message
Christina Websell wrote:
[...]

Britta,

Do you see a lot of Siamese cats in Thailand?

Winnie

Old July 29th 05, 05:59 AM

Christina Websell wrote:
I have read posts about cats on the group that are often 14 lbs up to in the
20's, particularly USA cats.
Compared with this, mine are miniscule. Boyfriend is around 7-8 pounds and
KFC is 4ish. They both have access to all the gooshy and dry food that they
might want and catch and eat der birdies too.
They are both healthy at their weight. They both look just right. Slim and
lithe hunting kitties.
Should I worry that they aren't heavier?
No wormies nor fleas thanks to Stronghold.

Tweed

Oh, no, I wouldn't worry. I'd rather see them lean and "just
right"--that means they just have a smaller frame, and that's probaby
genetic. My Booty is about the size of Boyfriend. Bosley is getting
huge, I imagine he's 20 lbs. of housecat by now. They got raised on the
very same food from kittens.

Sherry