Weather

Old August 2nd 06, 02:17 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
jhill

Default Weather

I believe in the USA it is called a heat index. Yes, it the temperature
your body thinks it is considering the actual temperature and the humidity
combined. The higher the humidity % for a given actual temp, the higher the
index. If the temp. is actually 88 deg. F, and the humidity is very high
like 80-90% then it feels more like 95 deg F.
wrote in message
Winnie wrote:

Same here.The humidex is 48C (118F). I think it breaks the record.

What's a "humidex"? I've never heard that word before. Sounds like it
should be a measure of humidity, but looks like you have temperature
readings from it.

Joyce

Old August 2nd 06, 02:21 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Matthew

Send the cooler weather to us it was 127 on my car gauge in the parking lot

When I got home it was 97 humidity making it feel 103 the rain just made it
worse

Now we have a possible forming hurricane going to head for us

Old August 2nd 06, 02:40 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
[email protected]

Winnie wrote:

Ah, gotcha. As in "it's 75 degrees today, 82 on the humidex"?

You got it. Currently it is 32C(90F), but feels like 41C. The 41
(105F) is the humidex.
We always get the humidex, if any, reported.

I've never heard that, but I guess, living in coastal California
in a semi-arid climate, humidity isn't a significant factor in the
temperature. (Nor is the "wind chill" factor. Yay! I love Bay Area
weather.)

Joyce
Old August 2nd 06, 02:44 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
[email protected]

jhill wrote:

I believe in the USA it is called a heat index. Yes, it the temperature
your body thinks it is considering the actual temperature and the humidity
combined. The higher the humidity % for a given actual temp, the higher the
index. If the temp. is actually 88 deg. F, and the humidity is very high
like 80-90% then it feels more like 95 deg F.

In addition to changing how it feels, does the humidity change how the
temperature actually affects a person? I'm thinking of dangers such as
dehydration or heatstroke. Will a higher humidity actually make those
things more likely?

I grew up in Massachusetts, where the "wind chill" factor was a regular
part of a forecast in the winter. Winds could make a cold day feel much
colder. And I think it could actually make you *be* colder, too, not
just feel colder. Meaning, risks such as hypothermia or frostbite were
increased with the wind chill. But don't quote me on that because I'm not
certain about it.

Joyce
Old August 2nd 06, 02:58 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Ann

In Connecticut we have had 6 days of about 90 degree weather. Today and
Wednesday will be the near 100 with very high humidity. We spent the day at
a large mall just to be cool. The cats were in the air conditioned bedroom.
Every one take extra care in this heat.
Ann

see pictures of Sam at http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/ann791/my_photos
"mlbriggs" wrote in message
news
After weeks of 100 to 104 temps, it is now 59 degrees. We had a real
"gully washer" with thunder and lightning. TuTu was very nervous and
kept winding herself around my feet. I opened the closet door and told
her to hide in there, but she wouldn't leave me. It is still raining but
not a "downpour". TuTu is now watching the rain run down the front
window.

Two kinds of weather he Too hot and Too cold. The rain is welcome,
but the thunder and lightning are not. MLB

Old August 2nd 06, 05:15 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
mlbriggs

On Tue, 01 Aug 2006 17:16:02 +0000, mlbriggs wrote:

After weeks of 100 to 104 temps, it is now 59 degrees. We had a real
"gully washer" with thunder and lightning. TuTu was very nervous and
kept winding herself around my feet. I opened the closet door and told
her to hide in there, but she wouldn't leave me. It is still raining but
not a "downpour". TuTu is now watching the rain run down the front window.

Two kinds of weather he Too hot and Too cold. The rain is welcome,
but the thunder and lightning are not. MLB

FYI That was a major storm that went through today. It caused a lot of
damage, uprooting big trees which fell on houses, turned planes over at
the airport, flooding, etc. MLB
Old August 2nd 06, 08:57 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
[email protected]

Winnie wrote:

I lived in San Francisco and left for Canada more than 30 years ago. I
was originally from Hong Kong and went to college in U.S, then
immigrated to Canada.

Well, you got quite a jump on all the other folks moving directly
from Hong Kong to Canada just prior to '97. I'll bet real estate
was much cheaper when you moved.

For some reason I thought you lived in Vancouver. But recently you
mentioned that some folks you work with drive two hours to Montreal,
so apparently, you are not on the west coast!

The move from S.F. to Canada was a tough one. Took me a long time to
adjust.

What was tough about it, if you don't mind saying?

Joyce