The Ultimate Hoolikitten!

Old October 4th 04, 11:57 AM
O J

On Mon, 04 Oct, Jeanette wrote:

Joyce wrote:

Jeanette wrote:

I don't know the true etymology, but a 'yob' is a backwards 'boy'. When
I worked on the fish market in Bolton when I was a teenager, the
stallholders had their own mad little jargon where many words were
said backwards. Boys were yobs, girls were 'elrigs'

"Elrigs" is "girls" spelled backwards? In what universe?

Joyce

In one where lrig is unprounceable

Jeanette

As far as I know, Jeanette, you're absolutely right. The word is
attributable to 'backslang', be it in the fish market or no. At least
the real origin is known, not like OK, the origin of which has spawned
many stories, all of them false.

Regards and Purrs,
O J (OJTB -- TBFTE)
Old October 4th 04, 02:42 PM
Karen

"Jeanette" wrote in message
.uk...

wrote in message
Jeanette wrote:

I don't know the true etymology, but a 'yob' is a backwards 'boy'.

When
worked on the fish market in Bolton when I was a teenager, the

stallholders
had their own mad little jargon where many words were said backwards.

Boys
were yobs, girls were 'elrigs'

"Elrigs" is "girls" spelled backwards? In what universe?

Joyce

In one where lrig is unprounceable

Jeanette

Oh. "El"rig. I get it now.

Old October 4th 04, 02:43 PM
Karen

"O J" wrote in message
On Mon, 04 Oct, Jeanette wrote:

Joyce wrote:

Jeanette wrote:

I don't know the true etymology, but a 'yob' is a backwards 'boy'.

When
I worked on the fish market in Bolton when I was a teenager, the
stallholders had their own mad little jargon where many words were
said backwards. Boys were yobs, girls were 'elrigs'

"Elrigs" is "girls" spelled backwards? In what universe?

Joyce

In one where lrig is unprounceable

Jeanette

As far as I know, Jeanette, you're absolutely right. The word is
attributable to 'backslang', be it in the fish market or no. At least
the real origin is known, not like OK, the origin of which has spawned
many stories, all of them false.

Regards and Purrs,
O J (OJTB -- TBFTE)

Doesn't OK have something to do with clarity of voice over certain
frequencies or something?

Old October 4th 04, 03:26 PM
Charles Barilleaux

Karen Chuplis wrote in message ...
http://www.youthofbritain.com/chillout/

Dig the video (always love the "Rather Good" stuff, even the
spongemonkies).

However, shouldn't the kitten be wearing a helmet? This came up on a
another board recently, and someone took action to correct the
situation:

http://forums.roadbikereview.com/sho...ghlight=kitten

(Look for Owen454's post in the bottom quarter of the scroll.)

I'll have to post my kitten-and-bicycle story soon.

Old October 4th 04, 04:08 PM
O J

On Mon, 4 Oct, Karen wrote:

Doesn't OK have something to do with clarity of voice over certain
frequencies or something?

The first of these gives the most plausible explanation which has a
great deal of factual support, and the site declares that as the
matter is resolved. The second discusses several debunked theories
and agrees that the version supported by the first one is probably the
correct one.

http://www.straightdope.com/classics/a2_250

http://www.askoxford.com/asktheexper...wordorigins/ok
At the above cited site, one may also find the answers to the
following questions:

Was the first computer 'bug' a real insect?
What are the 'Canons of Etymology'?
What are the origins of 'a.m.' and 'p.m.'?
What is the origin of 'love' meaning 'nil' in tennis scoring?
What is the origin of the phrase 'sleep tight'?
What is the origin of the phrase 'the bee's knees'?
What is the origin of the term 'brass monkey'?
What is the origin of the term 'dressed to the nines'?
What is the origin of the term 'flea market'?
What is the origin of the word 'OK'?
What is the origin of the word 'codswallop'?
What is the origin of the word 'grockle'?
What is the origin of the word 'jaywalking'?
What is the origin of the word 'loo'?
What is the origin of the word 'love'?
What is the origin of the word 'lukewarm'?
What is the origin of the word 'news'?
What is the origin of the word 'nous' ?
What is the origin of the word 'penguin'?
What is the origin of the word 'posh'?
What is the origin of the word 'quiz'?
What is the origin of the word 'snob'?
Why is a batsman who makes no runs at cricket said to be out 'for a
duck'?

Regards and Purrs,
O J

Old October 4th 04, 05:25 PM
Kreisleriana

On Sun, 03 Oct 2004 16:45:31 -0500, Karen Chuplis
yodeled:

http://www.youthofbritain.com/chillout/

Joel Veitch is the Viking Kitten guy.

Theresa