RIP Cat Author Lilian Jackson Braun

Old October 29th 11, 12:14 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.community
Mosey =^..^=[_10_]

Default RIP Cat Author Lilian Jackson Braun

May mom Kyla wrote this in the guestbook on one of the sites:
I have All of Mrs Braun's books and have read each of them several times.
She was a wonderful writer and will be greatly missed.
My sympathies and loving condolences to her devoted husband, Earl, their
beloved Siamese,
the rest of her loving family, her MANY friends, her devoted staff,
and her MANY fans on her passing.
RIP Lilian Jackson Braun. You will ALWAYS be loved =^..^=

Thank you Rusty. We hope she is surrounded by all kinds of cats at Rainbow
bridge.
Give her a *nosepoink* from all of us.

Respectfully,
Mosey

"Rusty"

On Oct 25, 1:30 am, "Mosey =^..^="
TRYON, NC-- Lilian Jackson Braun Bettinger, a prolific best-selling author
of The Cat Who mystery series for more than 40 years,
died of natural causes at Hospice House of the Carolina Foothills in
Landrum, SC, on June 4, 2011. She was 97 and had lived in Tryon, NC, for
the
past 23 years.
Ms. Braun wrote 31 books (two collections of short stories and 29 The Cat
Who books).
Dutton published her first book, The Cat Who Could Read Backwards, in
1966.
The New York Times labeled her "the new detective of the year".
Two more followed with critical acclaim (The Cat Who Ate Danish Modern and
The Cat Who Turned On and Off). There was an 18-year hiatus between the
third and fourth books.
The Cat Who novels, considered light, humorous mysteries, have been
translated into 16 languages, distributed worldwide, and sold in the
millions. Her books were standards on the New York Times best seller list.
Beginning in 1990, her books reached the prestigious list for 20
consecutive
years.
She wrote all of her books in long hand. They were published with limited
editing. "I don't pay attention to the publishing business. I just write
my
kitty-cat stories."
Ms. Braun (who once wrote "A dog has his day, but cats have 365") retired
from writing in 2007 after the publication of The Cat Who Had 60 Whiskers.
Writing was a lifelong passion. "I always wrote, first for fun, then for
an
advertising job, then for a newspaper, and then for The Cat Who readers."
After a short stint as a waitress (lasting less than a week) Ms. Braun
went
to work for Detroit department stores, beginning as a copywriter and
ending
as the director of public relations. She took time off to write her first
three books and then accepted a position as the "The Good Living" editor
for
the Detroit Free Press. She wrote feature articles on interior design, art
and architecture, as well as reviews of kitchen gadgets and other
household
products. She remained with The Detroit Free Press for 30 years.
Lilian Jackson Braun Bettinger was born on June 20, 1913, in
Willimansette,
Chicopee Falls, MA. Her father, Charles Jackson, was an inventor and
industrial manufacturing troubleshooter. Her mother, Clara Ward Jackson,
was
a homemaker. Her father's work took them to Rhode Island, Brooklyn, NY,
and
to Detroit, MI. Ms. Braun lived in Michigan until retiring to North
Carolina.
In 2005 The Polk County Public Library in Columbus, NC, held a Tribute to
Lilian Jackson Braun for her lifetime achievement and community
involvement.
It was an evening of song, limericks, readings and tributes. Ms. Braun
served as the honorary writer in residence for the library as well as
honorary chairperson of the 2005 library card sign-up campaign, where she
created the tag line, "A library card is the beginning of a lifelong
adventure."
Ms. Braun was preceded in death by husband, Louis Paul Braun; a sister,
Florence Jackson; and a brother, Lloyd Jackson. She is survived by her
husband of 32 years, Earl Bettinger.
No memorial services will be held. Donations may be made to Hospice House
of
the Carolina Foothills, 260 Fairwinds Road, Landrum, SC 29356.
Condolences may be sent towww.pettyfuneralhome. com.
Petty Funeral Home and Crematory, Landrum

Published in Spartanburg Herald-Journal from June 7 to June 8, 2011

PS My moommy just LOVED her books and had awl of them in paperback, n
Charleen from the human group, sent her a hardback, n then mom got hooked
on
those books.
The human in the series, James Mackintosh Qwilleran was from Scotland.

My Meowmie read all of her 'The Cat Who' book. She just loves them,

Rusty from RB