Buffy and the Claw Clipping

Old June 17th 15, 11:03 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
jmcquown[_2_]

Default Buffy and the Claw Clipping

I was told I'd have to wrap her in a towel. Or have someone help me
hold her down. Yeah, as if that wouldn't scare the crap out of her! LOL

I bought one of these:

http://www.drsfostersmith.com/produc...pcatid=186 81

tiny URL:

http://tinyurl.com/8hsdeg

It took a couple of tries but Buffy relaxed right into me. I have the
trimmers on the shelf on my desk. She likes to be in my lap when I'm at
the PC. So when she got comfy I gently held a paw and *clip*.

She jumped down. Hmmm, that didn't hurt. She jumped back up. I
praised her, gave her scritches, let her relax again. Next nail, clip.
She jumped down. Jumped back up. And again. See? It doesn't hurt a
bit!

I've done all ten front claws (haven't gotten to the dewclaws yet). The
back claws may be a bit more of a challenge. But what a difference!
She's no longer inadvertently hurting me.

I am thrilled at how nonchalant she was about it.

Jill
Old June 18th 15, 12:53 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Takayuki

On Wed, 17 Jun 2015 18:03:14 -0400, jmcquown wrote:
It took a couple of tries but Buffy relaxed right into me. I have the
trimmers on the shelf on my desk. She likes to be in my lap when I'm at
the PC. So when she got comfy I gently held a paw and *clip*.

She jumped down. Hmmm, that didn't hurt. She jumped back up. I
praised her, gave her scritches, let her relax again. Next nail, clip.
She jumped down. Jumped back up. And again. See? It doesn't hurt a
bit!

I've done all ten front claws (haven't gotten to the dewclaws yet). The
back claws may be a bit more of a challenge. But what a difference!
She's no longer inadvertently hurting me.

I am thrilled at how nonchalant she was about it.

Oh yeah, cuddling, kneading, and wrestling is all much pricklier without an
occasional clip, if only just to get the tips of the sharpest needle claws!

I think Buffy will get used to it very quickly. I clip all of my kitties,
even Spicey now! I use her habit of coming up and poking me when she's
hungry against her. When she raises a paw and taps me, I meet her paw with
a "high five", hiding the clipper behind my palm, and clip a claw in as
smooth and unobtrusive a motion as possible. I have to admit that such
trickery is not possible with back claws, so I haven't done those on her
yet though. I think she'd try to hurt me very badly if she knew what I was
doing.
Old June 18th 15, 12:56 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
MaryL[_2_]

On 6/17/2015 5:03 PM, jmcquown wrote:
[...]

Good job! The clippers look similar to the ones I used years ago on my
first cat, except that mine were plain without any embellishment. My
cat would let him place him upside-down on my lap to clip his back
claws, and then I could easily clip all of them very quickly.

MaryL

Old June 18th 15, 02:42 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
jmcquown[_2_]

On 6/17/2015 7:56 PM, MaryL wrote:
[...]

While Buffy does turn upside down and let me give her belly rubs, I
really don't think she'd like to be held that way for any length of
time. I'm just happy she let me clip the front ones. I'll deal with
the back paws tomorrow... or whenever she lets me.

Jill
Old June 18th 15, 04:34 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
MaryL[_2_]

On 6/17/2015 8:42 PM, jmcquown wrote:
[...]

Raucher (my first cat, going clear back to my first year in graduate
school) would often lie on his back on my legs while I sat in a chair,
so it was easy to use the clippers while he was in that position.

MaryL

Old June 18th 15, 03:37 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
jmcquown[_2_]

On 6/17/2015 7:53 PM, Takayuki wrote:
On Wed, 17 Jun 2015 18:03:14 -0400, jmcquown wrote:
It took a couple of tries but Buffy relaxed right into me. I have the
trimmers on the shelf on my desk. She likes to be in my lap when I'm at
the PC. So when she got comfy I gently held a paw and *clip*.

She jumped down. Hmmm, that didn't hurt. She jumped back up. I
praised her, gave her scritches, let her relax again. Next nail, clip.
She jumped down. Jumped back up. And again. See? It doesn't hurt a
bit!

I've done all ten front claws (haven't gotten to the dewclaws yet). The
back claws may be a bit more of a challenge. But what a difference!
She's no longer inadvertently hurting me.

I am thrilled at how nonchalant she was about it.

Oh yeah, cuddling, kneading, and wrestling is all much pricklier without an
occasional clip, if only just to get the tips of the sharpest needle claws!

That's exactly what they were like. Little needles. OUCH! I know she
didn't mean to hurt me but she had never learned to retract them. They
didn't seem overly long to me, since cats do shed their nails. But oh
boy were they sharp! Razor sharp.

I think Buffy will get used to it very quickly.

I hope so!

I clip all of my kitties,
even Spicey now! I use her habit of coming up and poking me when she's
hungry against her. When she raises a paw and taps me, I meet her paw with
a "high five", hiding the clipper behind my palm, and clip a claw in as
smooth and unobtrusive a motion as possible. I have to admit that such
trickery is not possible with back claws, so I haven't done those on her
yet though. I think she'd try to hurt me very badly if she knew what I was
doing.

You've done amazing things with Spicey. I'm so very glad she's adapted
as well as she has.

Jill
Old June 18th 15, 04:49 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Christina Websell

"jmcquown" wrote in message
[...]

Well done! It looks like a good tool and Buffy obviously trusts you
already.
I have various claw-clipping tools from when I had dogs, but any type of
what Boyfie calls "messing about with me" like trying to give him tablets,
changing his collar for a new one etc is a two person job as he flies into a
panic.
Claw-clipping would be a no-no. He has incredibly sharp front claws which
he hones on the trunks of my trees but he is careful not to hurt me with
them and keeps them sheathed in any interaction with me.
I "could" clip his claws if I wanted to if Claire helped me, as he often
gets them caught in my clothing when he is kneading, but it would upset him
so much to be held down and forced so I won't do it. Besides, he goes
outside after dusk, and 10 scimitars are good to flash at Mr/Ms Fox who come
and check my chickens are safe every night (!) in case they cross paths in
my garden. Like "see these claws? want them in your nose??"
If that fails, good claws enable him to rush up a tree at the speed of
light.

Tweed

Old June 18th 15, 10:45 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
jmcquown[_2_]

On 6/18/2015 11:49 AM, Christina Websell wrote:
"jmcquown" wrote in message
[...]

Thank you!

It looks like a good tool and Buffy obviously trusts you
already.

Yep, she does trust me. I'm surprised at how quickly she got used to
her new home.

I have various claw-clipping tools from when I had dogs, but any type of
what Boyfie calls "messing about with me" like trying to give him tablets,
changing his collar for a new one etc is a two person job as he flies into a
panic.

That's sort of what I was afraid of. I was amazed at how she just let
me do it without much fuss!

Claw-clipping would be a no-no. He has incredibly sharp front claws which
he hones on the trunks of my trees but he is careful not to hurt me with
them and keeps them sheathed in any interaction with me.

I wouldn't have needed to trim them if she had kept them sheathed.
Apparently she didn't know any better. She was scratching the heck out
of my legs while sitting on my lap.

I "could" clip his claws if I wanted to if Claire helped me, as he often
gets them caught in my clothing when he is kneading, but it would upset him
so much to be held down and forced so I won't do it. Besides, he goes
outside after dusk, and 10 scimitars are good to flash at Mr/Ms Fox who come
and check my chickens are safe every night (!) in case they cross paths in
my garden. Like "see these claws? want them in your nose??"

LOL That wouldn't be pleasant.

If that fails, good claws enable him to rush up a tree at the speed of
light.

Don't have that problem here but I get your point.

Jill
Old June 18th 15, 10:57 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
jmcquown[_2_]

On 6/18/2015 1:25 PM, Judith Latham wrote:
In article , jmcquown
wrote:

It took a couple of tries but Buffy relaxed right into me. I have the
trimmers on the shelf on my desk. She likes to be in my lap when I'm at
the PC. So when she got comfy I gently held a paw and *clip*.

She jumped down. Hmmm, that didn't hurt. She jumped back up. I
praised her, gave her scritches, let her relax again. Next nail, clip.
She jumped down. Jumped back up. And again. See? It doesn't hurt a
bit!

I've done all ten front claws (haven't gotten to the dewclaws yet). The
back claws may be a bit more of a challenge. But what a difference!
She's no longer inadvertently hurting me.

I am thrilled at how nonchalant she was about it.

Jill

Well done. She obviously trusts you.

Judith

I'm stunned. She's adapted very well and so very quickly. I didn't
know the woman who had her before but I can't imagine Buffy was very
happy there. Living with the bully cat and whatever the third cat Suzie
Q was like. Now she's come out of her shell.

She was described as "timid". Timid? Hardly!

Jill
Old June 18th 15, 11:58 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Takayuki

On Thu, 18 Jun 2015 10:37:02 -0400, jmcquown wrote:
On 6/17/2015 7:53 PM, Takayuki wrote:
Oh yeah, cuddling, kneading, and wrestling is all much pricklier without an
occasional clip, if only just to get the tips of the sharpest needle claws!

That's exactly what they were like. Little needles. OUCH! I know she
didn't mean to hurt me but she had never learned to retract them. They
didn't seem overly long to me, since cats do shed their nails. But oh
boy were they sharp! Razor sharp.

I think their claws are amazingly sharp! What dangerous weapons they
managed to evolve!

But for the most part, they do sheathe their claws when on my lap. Still,
it's nice to keep them trimmed, and they appreciate not snagging on things,
too.