So my brother can't take care of Persia...

Old March 10th 04, 03:55 PM
lrulan

"jmcquown" wrote in message
. ..
MaryL wrote:
"jmcquown" wrote in message
He says, and I quote, "I don't think I'll be able to take care of
Persia. Sorry. There just isn't enough room for Peaches' cage and a
litter box."

EXCUSE ME? He's got a 3 bedroom house! I live in an apartment. I
make room for both. Hello? What's the deal about room for a litter
box? Oh, maybe you just don't want to clean it even though I'm
bringing all the supplies, bags, etc.

Okay, fine... I'll take both Persia and Peaches the lovebird to stay
with VetPets for my trip, where they have an avian vet too; vets for
all animals. I'm sure they will make them both feel welcome.

And see if I have "room" for his parakeet the next time he goes out
of town. Or take in his friggin mail or water his plants or anything
else. *******o!

Jill (gotta love family)

I agree completely with what Yowie wrote. With that attitude, I
would be fearful that your brother would not provide proper care even
if he did agree to take care of Persia and Peaches. My own
preference would be to have a professional petsitter come into my
home (which is what I did last summer), but I understand from your
earlier messages that you do not want to permit anyone else into your
home. So, VetPets sounds like a good option.

MaryL

I know, Mary, you say they are licensed and bonded and all that. But I

just
don't want strangers to have keys to my home. That makes me very nervous.
I have been home sick the last few days and I have to say I was surprised
when my neighbor knocked on my door to ask, "I've noticed your car here,
you're usually gone before I am, just wanted to see if you were home and

if
you are okay." Yeah... we aren't "friends" per se, so if she notices a
pattern, who else might? Someone with a key, perhaps? Friends of a
'bonded' person with a key?

Now I'm wondering, should I take a cab to the airport and leave my car

here
or leave my parking spot vacant for a week. Any wonder why I don't
travel?!!

But this trip... oh this trip... I must go G Sorry sweet purring

Persia!
Sorry birdy Peaches. I have to do this.

Jill

Jill, I'm sure Persia and Peaches will be absolutely safe and cared for at
VetPets. And you can always call them up to check on the babies whenever you
want. Do you have a neighbor you trust who can pick up your mail/newspaper
and generally keep an eye out for your apartment/car? That might be the best
way to go.
Jazz & his mama
--

Irulan
from now until the end of time

Old March 10th 04, 04:21 PM
Margaret Fine

jmcquown wrote:

Christine Burel wrote:

Well, sounds like your critters will definitely be better off at the
vets. Christine

Yes, I think so. My brother is very selfish. No room for a litter box...
hell he has 2 bathrooms and two extra bedrooms and a long hallway, if
nothing else. And he's the one always said he wanted a cat. But when he
got a kitten he gave her away because he has a parakeet. Rather than train
the kitten to ignore the bird, he gave her away. Never even gave it a
month's chance.

I've had Persia for 3 years; she wasn't a kitten; she was probably 2 years
old. I taught her with a spray bottle to leave my parakeets alone. Kept
her locked in the bedroom with toys for a while, until I knew I could trust
her to leave my birds alone.

Now, with Peaches, Persia doesn't give her a second glance unless she
startles her out of a sound sleep with a loud chirp. And then she just
looks up and goes "Oh, it's that damned bird again." LOL

My family is just weird.

Jill

Hi Jill!

Well, if they are weird it isn't just your family. I am one of 4
siblings. We ALWAYS had animals. Mostly dogs since one brother was
allergic to cats but also a duck, frogs, etc. I cannot ever remember a
time when we didn't have animals. Heck, my parents had a dog almost as
soon as they married. Three of "us kids" as we call ourselves are
animal lovers and have/have had multiple pets. We love to exchange pet
sitting if we were closer. Our animals are our kids! Then there is the
"weird one" in our family who cannot understand why the rest of us would
let an animal in our house. Who actually asked me after my beloved
Golden Retriever died if I had enough of "this nonsense" and would cease
and desist from getting a new dog when my other dog died. Mind you he
lives 12 hours from me and his yearly visit isn't in anyway impacted on
my having animals. I love my brother but don't understand him at all.
I'd never leave one of my animals with him although I suspect he'd treat
it well out of fear of me. :-) Now his 13 year old daughter is an
animal nut who cannot wait to get out of the house so she can start her
own zoo. Odd. Must have skipped a generation! :-)

You mentioned before about the taxi vs. driving yourself to the
airport...We travel a fair amount and after many years of driving
ourselves we now take a taxi or shuttle to the airport. With all the
security (you're in the US, right?) things are just crazy with airport
parking and it will save so much time and stress just to be dropped off
at the terminal. If it will not strain the budget, go for the taxi.

Margaret & Oliver

. ..

Old March 10th 04, 06:40 PM
jmcquown

lrulan wrote:
"jmcquown" wrote in message
. ..
MaryL wrote:
"jmcquown" wrote in message
[...]

Yes, in fact I told the neighbor when she knocked I would be going out of
town. She offered to pick up my mail, although I'm going to ask the USPS to
hold it while I'm gone. She said she'll still check for me, since they
aren't totally reliable. And, you have no idea how many catalogs I get...
usually 4-5 a day! This poor woman will either get tired of bringing in my
mail OR she'll shop herself to death ROFL

Old March 10th 04, 06:45 PM
jmcquown

Margaret Fine wrote:
jmcquown wrote:

Christine Burel wrote:

Well, sounds like your critters will definitely be better off at the
vets. Christine

Yes, I think so.

You mentioned before about the taxi vs. driving yourself to the
airport...We travel a fair amount and after many years of driving
ourselves we now take a taxi or shuttle to the airport. With all the
security (you're in the US, right?)

Right!

things are just crazy with airport
parking and it will save so much time and stress just to be dropped
off
at the terminal. If it will not strain the budget, go for the taxi.

Margaret & Oliver

Thank you, I believe I shall. One reason, aside from the craziness at the
airport is, it is probably far too conspicuous for my car to be absent for a
week. It took my neighbor a week to notice I wasn't going anywhere (I've
been ill) before she knocked. But if my car had been gone a week, well
that's sort of like a big calling card saying "come on in, no one is home!"
I will also let the apartment managment know I'll be gone so they can have
someone drive by to check on things.

Thanks for your post!

Jill, Persia & Peaches the lovebird

Old March 10th 04, 06:57 PM
Yoj

"jmcquown" wrote in message
. ..
Margaret Fine wrote:
jmcquown wrote:

Christine Burel wrote:

[...]

You could also let the police know that you'll be gone. If you do,
they'll probably drive by a few times too.

Joy

Old March 10th 04, 07:55 PM
m. L. Briggs

On Wed, 10 Mar 2004 03:07:40 -0600, "jmcquown"
wrote:

MaryL wrote:
"jmcquown" wrote in message
[...]

Do you have a "Neighborhood Watch" program in your city? Here, we ask
our neighbor to keep an "eye" on our place if we go away. Perhaps
your neighgor was being neighborly and wanted to help if necessary.
Old March 11th 04, 01:05 PM
jmcquown

badwilson wrote:
"jmcquown" wrote in message
. ..

I know, Mary, you say they are licensed and bonded and all that.
But I just don't want strangers to have keys to my home.
But this trip... oh this trip... I must go G Sorry sweet purring
Persia! Sorry birdy Peaches. I have to do this.

Jill

That sucks that your brother let you down, Jill. But I agree with the
others, with that attitude Persia and Peaches are better off at
VetPets.

Yep, I think so too. He has no idea, anyway, the small parrot is much more
labor-intensive than Persia would ever be!

Do you live in a high crime area?

Memphis *is* a high crime area LOL Used to be the murder capital of the
U.S. (ain't that a great claim to fame?) Actually, I'm in a pretty safe
area just outside of there. But thieves have cars, and friends, too. It's
not like they see a sign and say "Oh gee, we can't go break in there, that's
a no-crime zone."

I feel incredibly lucky to be able
to travel as much as we do and not have to worry about anything. We
have even gone away for 3 weeks and left the house unlocked because
the maid was still cleaning. She locked up for us, but comes in
twice a day for Vino anyway while we're gone.
I guess Thailand is a really safe country. I feel like I could walk
down the darkest alley at night alone in Bangkok with no worries.

That's funny... when we lived in Bangkok my Dad installed burglar alarms on
all the lower floors of the house and got a guard dog. And there was an 8
foot fence around the property with barbed wire across the top. Still
someone managed to sneak in and trip the alarm in the middle of the night!
The "guard" dog, however, was too busy trying to eat the fish in our pond to
worry about someone trying to break in. His name was Kamoi...yes, he was a
thief himself! ROFL

Jill

Couldn't do that back home in Vancouver! One time I forgot my purse
at a restaurant. It had my digital camera, cell phone, house keys,
wallet with ID with address and $100 in it. It took me 1.5 hours to
realize my purse was gone and to return to the restaurant. They
recognized me right away and handed me my purse which was duct taped
up in thick plastic. I opened it and every single thing was there.
It would have been so easy for some waiter or waitress to sell my
stuff on the street in Bangkok. And so tempting, considering they
make about $150/month. In Canada it would have been gone...

Old March 11th 04, 08:07 PM
Hopitus2

Hey! I thought *my* hometown (sorry, Zorin/Lynx, I know you're a Miamian)
was the murder capital of the country! Does Memphis have over 3 million
pop.? If not, then we are still leading......what am I saying?! Not a
distinguished title. Still, I don't blame Jill one bit for not opting for
"pet-sitter" solution. When you live in a place like we do, you have to
think like this: not only do you have to worry about those having actual
access to "whatchoo got" BUT who they might pass "the word" along to as to
your possessions/access/security measures - people you don't know and will
never know. And this has *nada* to do with murders, LOL.....those of you in
more trusting climes have *no* idea, sadly. We do what we gotta do.

"jmcquown" wrote in message
: badwilson wrote:
: "jmcquown" wrote in message
: . ..
:
[...]
: thief himself! ROFL
:
: Jill
:

Old March 12th 04, 05:59 AM
EvelynVogtGamble(Divamanque)

jmcquown wrote:

He says, and I quote, "I don't think I'll be able to take care of Persia.
Sorry. There just isn't enough room for Peaches' cage and a litter box."

EXCUSE ME? He's got a 3 bedroom house! I live in an apartment. I make
room for both. Hello? What's the deal about room for a litter box? Oh,
maybe you just don't want to clean it even though I'm bringing all the
supplies, bags, etc.

Okay, fine... I'll take both Persia and Peaches the lovebird to stay with
VetPets for my trip, where they have an avian vet too; vets for all animals.
I'm sure they will make them both feel welcome.

That's why I tend to use professional pet-sitters when I go away! Since
I moved to a pet-friendly apartment building, the manager or a fellow
tenant has volunteered to take care of them, so I take advantage of that
and pay them, instead. It's a little more satisfactory having a
care-giver in the same building, and the extra spending money is welcome
enough so they are happy to do it.
Old March 12th 04, 10:23 AM
jmcquown

Hopitus2 wrote:
Still, I don't blame Jill one bit
for not opting for "pet-sitter" solution. When you live in a place
like we do, you have to think like this: not only do you have to
worry about those having actual access to "whatchoo got" BUT who they
might pass "the word" along to as to your possessions/access/security
measures - people you don't know and will never know.

Exactly. Every Tom, Dick and Sally the pet-sitter has a girlfriend,
boyfriend, cousin, whatever who might come along for the ride. And they
have girlfriends, boyfriends, cousins. Who might decide gee, she'll be gone
all week, why don't we just make off with the computer and the TV and see
what else she has lying around? If people see us coming and going it's
okay, we're those folks who were with the pet-sitter.

My neighbor will be keeping an eye out as will apartment management. Might
also let the police know I'll be gone, although I doubt they will give a
rats uh... care. LOL

What really sucks is my brother thinking one little cat is going to be so
much trouble. Persia is a real sweet cat.

Jill

"jmcquown" wrote in message
badwilson wrote:
. ..