Monkeys we like...

Old March 11th 04, 12:58 PM
Sherry

I am disappointed though that they don't wear
crowns
and have scepters like in the picture on the box.

TJ

Me too, TJ.. And on top of that, they don't play baseball, either. :-)

Sherry
Old March 13th 04, 09:33 AM

badwilson wrote:

Ooooh, brine shrimp, kewl! If you ever get too many, take them out of the
tank and dry them. Then you can add them to Som Tam, a great Thai salad
with green papaya :-)

Is that the shredded green papaya salad, with shrimp, very spicy? You
can get that here, at both Thai and Vietnamese restaurants.

Joyce
Old March 13th 04, 09:44 AM
badwilson

wrote in message
badwilson wrote:

Ooooh, brine shrimp, kewl! If you ever get too many, take them out of

the
tank and dry them. Then you can add them to Som Tam, a great Thai

salad
with green papaya :-)

Is that the shredded green papaya salad, with shrimp, very spicy? You
can get that here, at both Thai and Vietnamese restaurants.

Yup, it's got shredded green papaya, some raw green beans, tomatoes, dried
brine shrimp, palm sugar, fish sauce, lime juice, peanuts and chili peppers.
They mush it up in a mortar and pestle, usually bought at street stands here
and usually consumed with BBQ chicken (although the chicken is rare these
days) and sticky rice. You can request how many "pricks" or peppers you
want. I only get 2, it makes my nose run, but I can still taste the food.
--
Britta
Check out pictures of Vino at:

Old March 14th 04, 08:11 AM

badwilson wrote:

Yup, it's got shredded green papaya, some raw green beans, tomatoes,
dried brine shrimp, palm sugar, fish sauce, lime juice, peanuts and
chili peppers.

Mmmmm, yum! I haven't had that in a while. I used to spend way too much
money in restaurants, and now I'm not working, so I'm having a moratorium
on eating out. Maybe I can make my own - you've just given me the recipe.

Have you had miang kum? (I think that's what it's called.) That's a
make-your-own dish where they give you little tiny bowls of items like
crushed peanuts, shredded toasted coconut, tiny lime pieces, little
shrimp (probably brine shrimp again), diced red onion, and a few other
things. Then there's this sweet sauce, which you spread on a spinach
leaf, and then add the other things in whatever proportions you like,
and roll it up in the leaf. It's a wonderful appetizer. Not in the
least bit filling, but what an incredible burst of flavors!

Joyce
Old March 15th 04, 02:26 AM
badwilson

wrote in message
badwilson wrote:

[...]

Of course! I just had Miang Kaam on Friday night :-) It is yummy and a
"must order" dish at a certain restaurant in Pattaya where we often go.
They also serve it with some fried breaded fish filet to put into the leaf.
Very yummy :-) And you're right, it is dried brine shrimp that they give
you. Those things are used in a ton of Thai dishes. Here, they also give
you pieces of raw ginger, thin slices of lemongrass and some whole chili
peppers. I never use the chili peppers though because a whole one in one
leaf is way too spicy and covers up the taste of everything else. I love
the sweet paste you put on, tried it without one time and it definitely
didn't have the same effect. Oh, and they don't use spinach leaves here,
it's some other leaf, looks like just some plain leaf from a tree.
--
Britta
Check out pictures of Vino at:

Of Men and Monkeys badwilson Cat anecdotes 27 February 27th 04 06:37 PM
LOTR3 Yowie Cat anecdotes 84 January 6th 04 09:20 PM
Ping: Alan Erskine Stacey Cat anecdotes 3 November 26th 03 12:11 AM
Who hated monkeys????? Stacey Cat anecdotes 18 October 18th 03 08:38 AM