Guiness book of world records nomination: cat won't eat fish

Old March 13th 04, 04:17 AM
John F. Eldredge

Default Guiness book of world records nomination: cat won't eat fish

--
John F. Eldredge --
PGP key available from

Old March 13th 04, 05:05 AM
Marina

"John F. Eldredge" wrote

OK, so maybe it isn't really that rare, but it surprised me. I had a
tin of sardines as part of my supper a couple of nights ago, and
offered one of the sardines to Cinders. Rather to my surprise, she
sniffed it politely, but declined to eat it. The sardines were
packed in water, so it wasn't a case of the sardines being packed in
a sauce that she didn't like.

I haven't tried tuna yet. If she turns that down, I really will be
surprised.

Nikki doesn't eat either tuna or sardines. Even Frank got a bit tired of
both, because I used to mix his meds in either tuna or sardines, so he ate
them twice a day for a long period of time.

--
Marina, Frank and Nikki

Old March 13th 04, 05:29 AM
Steve Touchstone

On Fri, 12 Mar 2004 22:17:05 -0600, John F. Eldredge
wrote:
OK, so maybe it isn't really that rare, but it surprised me. I had a
tin of sardines as part of my supper a couple of nights ago, and
offered one of the sardines to Cinders. Rather to my surprise, she
sniffed it politely, but declined to eat it. The sardines were
packed in water, so it wasn't a case of the sardines being packed in
a sauce that she didn't like.

I haven't tried tuna yet. If she turns that down, I really will be
surprised.

If there's one thing I've learned about cats, it's that there's just
understanding them - perhaps because they don't want the hoomins to
catch on to what they really think. Just take my two girls concerning
people food - which they get very little of.

Sammy will taste anything I'm eating that I let her, and enjoys it
only when she can steal a bite. I get her own plate and give her
something she really seems to like, she just turns up her nose.

Little Bit has never shown any interest in hoomin food when I'm
eating. She won't even lick a plate when I'm done, except for the
leftover milk after cereal.

But, once Sammy has found something good on my plate, gotten a plate
of her own, and turned her nose up at it, Little Bit will clean
Sammy's plate.

Then, there's Rocky and treats. The girls devour all the Pounce treats
I give them - Rocky won't taste them. Course, he may come around. This
time last year he'd never been on a lap or played, and now he does
both.
--
Steve Touchstone,

[remove Junk for email]
Home Page:
Old March 13th 04, 12:48 PM
Sherry

Little Bit has never shown any interest in hoomin food when I'm
eating. She won't even lick a plate when I'm done, except for the
leftover milk after cereal.

Leftover Cheerio milk is much coveted around here. I have to divide it 3 ways
into their bowls, about a tablespoon apiece!! DH has a real hang-up about the
cats eating out of my bowl, so just outta respect for him I don't let them.
Can't imagine why!!?? No germ could survive the dishwasher, right?

Sherry
Old March 13th 04, 12:52 PM
jmcquown

John F. Eldredge wrote:
I haven't tried tuna yet. If she turns that down, I really will be
surprised.

Persia won't eat tuna. Go figure.

Jill

Old March 13th 04, 03:38 PM
Chip Anderson

John F. Eldredge wrote in
:

My cats won't eat people food, normally. However, they will go for tuna.

--
---
Chip

"Oderint dum metuant."
- Lucius Accius

Old March 13th 04, 04:08 PM
Ted Davis

wrote:

OK, so maybe it isn't really that rare, but it surprised me. I had a
tin of sardines as part of my supper a couple of nights ago, and
offered one of the sardines to Cinders. Rather to my surprise, she
sniffed it politely, but declined to eat it. The sardines were
packed in water, so it wasn't a case of the sardines being packed in
a sauce that she didn't like.

I haven't tried tuna yet. If she turns that down, I really will be
surprised.

Most of the cats I given sardines to refused to eat them - canned
mackerel too. I think I know one (out of maybe 50 that I have known)
that won't eat canned human grade tuna (chunk light in water) I
haven't tried him with solid pack white tuna which every one of the
others that I know about will drop the chunk light in favor of.

T.E.D. - e-mail must contain "T.E.D." or my .sig in the body)
Old March 13th 04, 04:13 PM
Seanette Blaylock

Ted Davis had some very interesting
things to say about Guiness book of world records nomination: cat
won't eat fish:

Most of the cats I given sardines to refused to eat them - canned
mackerel too. I think I know one (out of maybe 50 that I have known)
that won't eat canned human grade tuna (chunk light in water)

Felix turns up his furry nose, but will drink the water it was packed
in [won't touch oil from a can of oil-packed, though].
Old March 13th 04, 06:25 PM
EvelynVogtGamble(Divamanque)

"John F. Eldredge" wrote:

OK, so maybe it isn't really that rare, but it surprised me. I had a
tin of sardines as part of my supper a couple of nights ago, and
offered one of the sardines to Cinders. Rather to my surprise, she
sniffed it politely, but declined to eat it.

They were probably too salty! I don't imagine a cat would be too
thrilled with pickled herring, either - even the kind in sour cream.
Also, some cats do not particularly LIKE fish, while others won't eat
much else but.

(NOTE: I expect any number of replies telling me how much somone's
particular cats adore pickled herring - one can never generalize about
our feline friends.)
Old March 14th 04, 02:13 AM
Ted Davis

On Sat, 13 Mar 2004 08:13:54 -0800, Seanette Blaylock
wrote:

Ted Davis had some very interesting
things to say about Guiness book of world records nomination: cat
won't eat fish:

Most of the cats I given sardines to refused to eat them - canned
mackerel too. I think I know one (out of maybe 50 that I have known)
that won't eat canned human grade tuna (chunk light in water)

Felix turns up his furry nose, but will drink the water it was packed
in [won't touch oil from a can of oil-packed, though].

I've noticed that cats do seem to prefer the water to the tuna itself
- they lap that up first. I've also noticed that cats liking oily
stuff appears to be something of a myth - cats are supposed to like
tuna oil, sardine oil, butter, etc., but the only pure fat I've seen
any of mine eat is bacon grease ... they will even try to eat the
paper towel used to drain bacon on, and it doesn't seem to matter how
deeply I bury it in the garbage can, they dig it out.

T.E.D. - e-mail must contain "T.E.D." or my .sig in the body)